Carbon Air 9, and its warranty...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carbon Air 9, and its warranty...

Is the Niner going to be one of the only carbon 29er without a lifetime warranty?

Fisher, Specialized, Jamis, and Cannondale all have lifetime.

I really like the looks of that carbon Niner, but if it comes with only a 2 year warranty, I'm going to have to pass. I keep my bikes signifigantly longer than that, and expect support for when I need it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Is the Niner going to be one of the only carbon 29er without a lifetime warranty?

Fisher, Specialized, Jamis, and Cannondale all have lifetime.

I really like the looks of that carbon Niner, but if it comes with only a 2 year warranty, I'm going to have to pass. I keep my bikes signifigantly longer than that, and expect support for when I need it.
    Then don't buy it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    Then don't buy it...
    Why roll your eyes at me?

That is my ultimate point, ya see.

If they don't have an equivelent warranty, and they do have similar prices; who will buy it?

bike rider

I'm buying one

No matter what the warranty I'm getting one as soon as they're available. I broke an Intense M-1 doing a 24 stair gap jump and they replaced my frame without question without a lifetime warranty. Who knows if Niner will be as supportive but I'll take my chances. Usually if there's something wrong with the construction processes the companies are willing to help and if (as in my case) it's operator error, they will work with you and give you some sort of crash replacement discount. The frame does look sick and I've already started getting parts for a frame that won't be available until March. If my math is correct (and is usually is) my new baby should hit the scales at just a tad over 14lbs. We shall see! I'm excited!
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Old school BMXer
    It'll probably be like the rest of their frames - it'll be released for sale before it has finished sufficient design and testing.

As a result, most of the frames will likely break and/or be recalled before the warranty period is up, anyway. And like their other frames, when the owner receives his new warranty replacement frame, he'll dump it on an unsuspecting buyer, rendering the warranty useless. So all in all, it really won't matter.

Oh and as soon as some ham-fisted mechanic strips one of the small brake inserts (unless they figured it out that those should be replaceable), the frame will be trashed.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Although blaster is being a bit sardonic, I agree with his assessment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder
    Why roll your eyes at me?

That is my ultimate point, ya see.

If they don't have an equivelent warranty, and they do have similar prices; who will buy it?
    Somebody that doesn't like Specialized, Fisher, or Jamis-that's who...

Never enough time to ride
    From experience most "manufaturing defects" show up within 6 to 12 months from the time you start riding it. Anything after that, it becomes questionable as to wheather or not it's a defect or wear and tear. I think most manufacturers will take care of any of there customers regardless of warranty, either through crash replacement or straight up replacement.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    correct me if i am wrong here,

niner had no mahor problems with the
    air9
    one9
    emd9
    sir9
    mcr9
    rip9 09
    wfo 09

niner had problems with the
    jet9
    rip9 07

for a young and very innovative company not bad. have seen much worse with large companies, without being innovative.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    It'll probably be like the rest of their frames - it'll be released for sale before it has finished sufficient design and testing.

As a result, most of the frames will likely break and/or be recalled before the warranty period is up, anyway. And like their other frames, when the owner receives his new warranty replacement frame, he'll dump it on an unsuspecting buyer, rendering the warranty useless. So all in all, it really won't matter.

Oh and as soon as some ham-fisted mechanic strips one of the small brake inserts (unless they figured it out that those should be replaceable), the frame will be trashed.
    Well, you know you've made it as a bike company when you have haters & flamers bashing you on the 'net
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    Well, you know you've made it as a bike company when you have haters & flamers bashing you on the 'net
    Well, you know you're on the 'net when you have haters & flamers bashing you on the 'net

Fixed it.

mtbr member
    I just ordered my fifth Niner even though one of them is a Jet that is affected by the recall. The way Niner handles the recall is more than fair and I would think that they would treat you the same way if there were a problem with the Carbon Air 9.

Personally, I just love the way they ride.

To juan_speeder:
    Posting here and basically demanding a lifetime warranty so that you feel better about your purchase is pretty pointless. Are you doing that with more expensive things like cars and houses as well?

If you have doubts about it, buy something else, there are enough choices out there.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    I just ordered my fifth Niner even though one of them is a Jet that is affected by the recall. The way Niner handles the recall is more than fair and I would think that they would treat you the same way if there were a problem with the Carbon Air 9.

Personally, I just love the way they ride.

To juan_speeder:
    Posting here and basically demanding a lifetime warranty so that you feel better about your purchase is pretty pointless. Are you doing that with more expensive things like cars and houses as well?

If you have doubts about it, buy something else, there are enough choices out there.
    I demanded a different warranty?

I asked a question, and then stated that if the warranty if the same as their other bikes, then I'll go elsewhere. That's a question followed by a statement, and is pretty far from a demand.

Yes, the warranty associated with cars is indeed a factor in my purchases.

mtbr member
    Tommy Boy's version of why people put guarantees on the box. It starts about 1:20 in but the whole clip is classic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnSvCDnYOck&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnSvCDnYOck&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Garou
    Well, you know you're on the 'net when you have haters & flamers bashing you on the 'net

Fixed it.
    Not really meaning to bash anyone here, just an observation. FWIW, I've broken 2 Niner frames & bent another one in a crash. But I'm also 240 lbs and put a lot of stress on any frame. Niner has been fantastic in dealing with my issues.

Still, I don't think I'll be buying a carbon frame from any maker anytime soon regardless of warranty
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    Tommy Boy's version of why people put guarantees on the box. It starts about 1:20 in but the whole clip is classic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnSvCDnYOck&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnSvCDnYOck&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to reference Tommy Boy.

holy schfincter..
    As with most bicyces if there aren't any defects after a few months of riding, its doubtful, you will just be JRA and the frame snaps. That is unless you've been doing something the bike was not designed for...

I plan on getting the new niner carbon as well. Yes I would like to see a 5+ yr warranty, but I do think Niner takes care of their customers pretty well from what I've seen.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRider
    ... its doubtful, you will just be JRA and the frame snaps. That is unless you've been doing something the bike was not designed for ...
    Like ride a carbon bike for 14 years. Who does something like that? I commuted on a Trek 5200 daily until a chainstay cracked at that respectable age. Lifetime warranty will get you a brand new frame. In my case I was handed a Madone. Big manufacturers can afford such a warranty. It's rare that such an old frame is still in the hands of the original owner, is ridden often and breaks. I wouldn't base my purchasing decision on a warranty, but it's a nice thing to have.

Members who have read this thread: 0