Canyon Neuron CF 9 vs Scott Spark 910- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Canyon Neuron CF 9 vs Scott Spark 910

I am so indecisive between these two bikes that it's starting to hurt! :|

1. Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 LTD
    2. Scott Spark 910

I want a short-travel bike. I like climbing as much as descending, and I like climbing big (+1000m ascends). Although I like playful descends with occasional bike-park visits, 120mm has been so far enough for me.

I just sold my old Specialized Camber. It was a good time for upgrade, and I will miss that swat-box! I tried the Stumpjumper Expert ST and was underwhelmed; fork is not lockable, the bike feels heavy and under-specced for the price level.

Some numbers between Spark and Neuron:
    - I can get both bikes for the same price
    - They have exactly the same weight at 12.2kg
    - Neuron is 130mm, whereas Spark is 120mm front and rear
    - They have the same reach
    - Neuron stacks +~2cm higher
    - Similar head-tube angle (67.5 vs. 67.2)
    - Similar wheelbase: (1190 vs 1182)

I know that I should try them both and ignore the numbers. However, I can test ride only the Spark. If I choose Neuron, it will have to be a mail-order "wedding".

From what I see:
    - Neuron seems quite a bit better specced (shocks, group set, brakes); cleaner cockpit, which I am used to from Camber; yet, for some reason, it is marketed and reviewed as a beginner-friendly bike.
    - I am intrigued by the twinloc system in Spark albeit the cable clutter, and it has excellent reviews for both downhill and obviously for uphill and long-distance.

For whatever it's worth, I even overlaid the images of two bikes, and they look pretty similar to me ratio-wise. Although I don't want to buy a bike without test riding it, if I am not missing anything else, Canyon may be the better choice.

Any comments on the comparison of the two would be greatly appreciated! (I know there are lots of other good bikes, but somehow they dropped off my list along the way)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canyon Neuron CF 9 vs Scott Spark 910-bikes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The wheelsets could be one difference. For sure the 30mm carbon rims of the DT Swiss XMC 1200 and ratchet rear hub are a plus.
    The Spark has Syncros Silverton 2.0 TR Wheels with 25mm rims. I'd ask for more info on the Silverton wheels. Like weight, rim material and rear hub specs. The 30mm rims are, imo and experience better for some terrains and speeds where you can benefit from lower pressures and lighter tires. Less so at higher speeds and terrain where you need heavier sidewall tires with higher pressures.

Barely in control
    The Canyon component spec blows the Scott away. DT240 hubs vs generic pawl hubs, for instance. I would ride the Canyon as it comes no problem, maaaaaybe consider a DPX2 but that's it.

As for lockouts, you don't ever need to lock out your fork unless you're sprinting someone for the finish line.

You might want to ask Canyon if they routed the frame for a lockout. The shock is in a perfect place for that and many frames with a shock in that spot have routing for a lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thank you, both. Yes, it is hard to justify Scott over Canyon on the components. Also, I test-rode the Scott, and coming from a Camber, 2cm stack difference was very noticeable. The front end felt just too low. So, Neuron is my choice for the moment.

Neuron does not have a lockout routing or any internal routing for that matter. There is a pseudo-internal routing, a plastic cover, which is the same as in the Spectral. I guess it would make the maintenance easier and provide some protection for the down tube. I don't mind it as long as it doesn't fall apart with use.

Talking about internal routing, Canyon's newly updated XC rig, Lux CF SL 8.0, has the lockout routing, and it is such a beauty at 11kg. My mind is playing mean tricks on me to accept 69.5% head angle and 110mm travel. Videos online showing people trashing it downhill don't help either. But, yes, I think it would be way too restricting for all-mountain use.. I think.. ... ..

Barely in control
    For all mountain use on a bike like the Lux the main things holding you back are the weenie shock that is going to get too hot and lose damping and the limited tire clearance for serious all mountain rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    That's the interesting part:
    - They both have the Fox 34 front shock.
    - Lux has a pretty big (210x55mm) rear shock for its size, with low average leverage ratio.
    - On paper, max tire size is 2.3 for Lux and 2.4 for Neuron. People were able to fit 2.35 on Lux and 2.6 on Neuron fine.

So, Lux on paper looks as if it can swing above its weight downhill, but what really scares me are the 69.5% head angle and those skinny seat stays. Neuron looks like it can handle abuse quite a bit better.