Canfield Yelli Screamy- Mtbr.com
    Trophy Husband

Canfield Yelli Screamy

Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-weight-1.jpg
    Size medium.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-build.jpg

Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-cs-clearance.jpg
    Chain stays are 16.7. Tires are Specy Eskar 2.3 (looks fairly true to size).
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-ss-clearance.jpg

I have never ridden a 29er, but I am pretty excited about this bike. The ano silver looks great. It is slowly coming together after receiving it yesterday. Fork is a 2010 Marz 44 TST2, which will be modified to an adjustable shim stack fork like THIS MOD. I'll try it out at 120 and 140 (currently set at 100). I bought a pair of Bonty Rhythm Elite's off ebay for cheap (a little worried about flex).

Many of the parts are being moved over from my On One Summer Season 26" bike. I think I have all the parts I need to finish the build except a front tire . SpecialEd Eskar 2.3 is in back, but I was looking for a 2.4 Purgatory for the front...nobody has any left . Also, locally 29ers are not very popular (yet) and I can't find a decent large volume front tire, like an Ardent 2.4. Guess I'll have to order one, but I can't ride the bike until it arrives.

Anyway, I'll update as the build moves forward.
    Cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Wow, looks great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Looking forward to updates.

mtbr member
    Looks good.

What size is that?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Looks good.

What size is that?
    Medium.

FM
    mtbr member
    Looks great man. Keep the pics coming!

mtbr member
    That's some great clearance.

Specialized are one of the few tyres which measure up true

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice! Keep the pics coming and the all important ride report!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. "The Brothers" have not been pimping this out thing out at all, which has left me twitching like an addict

Some questions when you get a chance:
    - Is the tire clearance on the brake side stay as good as the drive side?
    - What did you use for a headset? When I started looking for tapered headsets w/1-1/8 steerer I quickly realized what a mess the specs are for this type.
    - Are you putting an FD on or running 1x9? I'm curious as to what the clearance is between the tire and derailleur when in the granny gear.

Thanks for the help! The bike looks great! I just ordered an Ardent 2.4 and they seem to be in short supply. Universal Cycles had them in stock if you decide to order it.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. "The Brothers" have not been pimping this out thing out at all, which has left me twitching like an addict

- Is the tire clearance on the brake side stay as good as the drive side?
    - What did you use for a headset? When I started looking for tapered headsets w/1-1/8 steerer I quickly realized what a mess the specs are for this type.
    - Are you putting an FD on or running 1x9? I'm curious as to what the clearance is between the tire and derailleur when in the granny gear.
    car_nut, tire clearance on the non-drive side is not as great as the drive side, but still pretty damned good. I'll try and remember to get a pic later.

I am going with 1x9...which is good because there ain't alot of clearance down there (photos below). I'm using an old set of Truvativ Stylos. You can't use spacers with the Stylos, so things are very cramped. I'm not sure I could use bigger than a 32T chainring...don't think I could fit a granny ring in there either. Might be different if I could install a few spacers??? don't really know as I ain't much of a mechanic.

Canfield Yelli Screamy-chainring-clearance.jpg
    what's the clearance clarence?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-chainring-clearance.jpg

Almost ready to ride except apparently I am not smart enough to install a tire/tube . Installed a Nevegal up front, but forgot to put tape on the rim and blew the tube. Also, stll need to change the travel...only at 100 right now.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-build-update1.jpg

I'll weigh it tomorrow.

mtbr member

what's the clearance clarence?

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I am going with 1x9...which is good because there ain't alot of clearance down there (photos below). I'm using an old set of Truvativ Stylos. You can't use spacers with the Stylos, so things are very cramped. I'm not sure I could use bigger than a 32T chainring...don't think I could fit a granny ring in there either. Might be different if I could install a few spacers??? don't really know as I ain't much of a mechanic.
    Thanks for posting these pics, as I'm seriously cogitating a build like this.
    You weren't kidding, that 32T ring clears the chainstay OK, but only just.
    And with your Stylo cranks, I believe there's no room for a drive-side spacer.
    Which (i think) means you have somewhat limited options for fitting a bigger chainring:
    • Ditch the bashguard and mount a >32T ring in the 'big' position, or ...
    • Install a 34T Widget in place of ring and bashie, or...
    • Ditch the Stylos and fit a Mr Whirly or something like it instead

Personally, I reckon 32T seems 'bout right, so I say stick with the 32T setup you've got!

Very nice build (aside from the flat tire)
    BTW, what's that braze-on thingy about 1/3rd of the way up the seat-tube?
    Last edited by hootsmon; 09-19-2010 at 01:10 AM.
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    what's that braze-on thingy about 1/3rd of the way up the seat-tube?
    that's where the front derailleur mounts. Its the new-ish Direct Mount standard from Shimano. Among other possible advantages, it is helpful for frames where a clamp-on FD won't work, such as this one with its seat tube offset forward of the BB

Powered by ice cream.
    Wow you picked quite a ride for your first 29er.

It will ride fine at 100mm. You might even like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    car_nut, ...
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it is coming along nicely! If you're as impatient to ride it as I'd be, I'm told 26" tubes will work in 29er tires

Yeah, that chain clearance is about as tight as I was expecting for a 16.7 chainstay. But, it fits and I'm fine with a 32t ring for a 29er on northeast hills.

mtbr member
    Nice ride! What's your chain guide plan for the 1x9?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    He might not need one at all if the chain goes as short as possible...

Naturally Organic

... and if we just ... Guessing Game...

Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    1. Widgit
    2. MRP
    3. e*13

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

chainstay

Minimal clearance...so that explains why they welded the flat thinner piece on the drive side ! Lookin forward to a ride review......next ! TIG.

Trophy Husband
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it is coming along nicely! If you're as impatient to ride it as I'd be, I'm told 26" tubes will work in 29er tires
    Yeah, this was a 26" tube. I've had tremendous difficulty with the Bonty/Nevegal combo...The Neve is VERY tight going on and I feel bad for what I have done to the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by JSummer13
    I'm hopeful that the method Bonesetter will work (short chain). If not, I'm afraid I'll have to go with a different crankset and use a BB mounted chain guide. I do like the looks of the widget, but doubt I could use it with a 32T...not enough clearance. I'm definitely open to ideas.

Thanks for all the good words, folks.

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by hootsmon
    And with your Stylo cranks, I believe there's no room for a drive-side spacer.
    With shimano/fsa/race face, you use one drive side spacer for 73mm, and with truvativ you can't use any.

For all of the above you add one spacer on each side for 68mm.

So it's either 0 spacers or 2 for truvativ.

Yelli Screamy is 73mm unfortunately, so you can't use spacers at all.

the train keeps rollin
    yeah, gonna need some retention on that 1x9..
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of 1x9 set-up on my HT, and with no chainguide up front. Covers my terrain perfectly. I like the look of it, the simplicity, and never having to front shift

Here's a not very good pic of my 1x9 Paradox (73mm BB), and the chain's not quite on the biggest ring out back. Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here. The chain usually wants to drop inwards, especially when shifting off the bigest rear sprocket. I've found the wiggle effect of the chain 'dropping' off the sprocket tries to shake the chain off the chainring inwards. The short tight chain goes most of the way to prevent this.

Other thing is keeping the chainring as close to the shell as possible (You're covered on that one ) to keep the chainline as straight as possible when in the likely drop position

Mine never drops with this method, despite stutter steps, small drops etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Yelli Screamy-1x9.jpg  

is buachail foighneach me
    Potting soil on the paint/stain shelf?

Nice looking bike, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can't say enough good things about the purgatory 2.4 i've been running up front all summer...a better tire in pretty much all respects than the rampages, ardents, nevegals etc i've owned. you couldn't order one direct from specialized, or have your LBS order one?

shimano XT cranks would allow you to space things out on the driveside. or better yet, pick up some of the $125 SLX cranksets you can get online these days.

re: chainguide -- i've been running 1X9 and 1X6 hardtails with no dropped chains w/o guides for quite a while now on rough trails, but only with a rear der w/ a health amount of spring tension, and a short chain.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

is buachail foighneach me
    I ran a 1 x 5 quite a bit last summer with only a bashring to keep it on there. Only dropped the chain once, and I believe it was due to picking up a stick. Short cage road derailluer and short chain as well.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    I can't say enough good things about the purgatory 2.4 i've been running up front all summer...a better tire in pretty much all respects than the rampages, ardents, nevegals etc i've owned. you couldn't order one direct from specialized, or have your LBS order one?
    Tried to order direct, as my local Specy dealer blows, but Specialized is sold out until late October. I'll just ride the Neve until I can get the purgatory, which is fine. I'm familiar with the Nevegal (26") and am comfortable enough with its performance (and lack there of).

mtbr member
    I do like the looks of the widget, but doubt I could use it with a 32T...not enough clearance. I'm definitely open to ideas.
    First, I agree with bonesetter; you may well not need a chainguard if the chain's short.
    Second, I wouldn't dismiss the Widgit idea out of hand, since on closer inspection you'll see that in 34T form (at least), the widget ring is dished outboard by a few mm. So in effect, the chainline gets moved out by a few mm (from the ideal) and that's why I suspect a 34T might actually fit. But don't quote me.
    Brisbane, AU

Trophy Husband

Update

OK, I pretty much have it together...although I am having trouble with the rear brake. I have an old set of XT 4-pots I was using on my old hardtail. Transferred it over and the disc rubs inside the caliper...since it is IS to IS there is no way to adjust the caliper vertical, so I installed an old post mount Hayes brake and of course it needs bleeding .

Anywho, a few shots:
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-100mm.jpg

Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-oblique.jpg
    Here's the non-drive side clearance
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-non-driveside-cs.jpg

The bike is smaller than I expected and seems to be really nimble (neighborhood test run). I can tell the fork needs MOAR travel.

edit: Currently weighs 28 pounds.
    Last edited by geolover; 09-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks great! Thanks for the disk side chainstay shot.

I'm green with envy, as I'm not pulling the trigger on mine until winter

Trophy Husband
    The LBS installed a FSA Gravity DX tapered headset. Regular 1.5 bottom and zero stack top. Doesn't matter to me, I told them I wanted good value and NO Chris King.

Naturally Organic
    Looks great! What's the weight? Enjoy!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    Looks great! What's the weight? Enjoy!
    Right! I forgot to mention that...28 pounds even. Not too bad. My 26" hardtail with many of the same parts was 30 pounds.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Rode a yelli today, you are lucky.... I'm ordering one tonight when I get back to the hotel. By far the most fun bike I rode all day!(Interbike).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    Rode a yelli today, you are lucky.... I'm ordering one tonight when I get back to the hotel. By far the most fun bike I rode all day!(Interbike).
    can you give more specifics? what fork/travel on there? how did it handle compared to other 29ers?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It had a fox, I believe it was 100mm, but I'm suffering from information overload, so I'm not positive. I'm gonna take it on a longer ride tomorrow and I'll pay more attention. For today I just rode a bunch of stuff and it just stood out as being a really fun, lively bike. It feels really agile and quick handling. It feels more like a 26er in the way it turns and it's easy to get the front end where you want it, but it still rolls like a 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It had a fox, I believe it was 100mm, but I'm suffering from information overload, so I'm not positive. I'm gonna take it on a longer ride tomorrow and I'll pay more attention. For today I just rode a bunch of stuff and it just stood out as being a really fun, lively bike. It feels really agile and quick handling. It feels more like a 26er in the way it turns and it's easy to get the front end where you want it, but it still rolls like a 29er.
    cool.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Where did they have them? I looked around a little bit and couldn't find them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Where did they have them? I looked around a little bit and couldn't find them.
    Check the other thread on the Yelli Screamy. One of the brothers left a phone # to call if anyone wants to ride it. I guess they don't have an official demo spot or something, but they have a bike in each size to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What about the hack on the fork?
    I've the same fork in my Chumba, and I'm intrested in this mod...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Keep those ride reports coming!! :-)

Anymore feedback n the chainring clearance? If I got one I'd set it up ss with 32t ring - hoping to use my Middleburns which are currently on a 113mm square taper...

local trails rider
    How is the clearance between fork knobs and frame?

Even 26er bikes tend to be too tall in the front for me. A very low (or no) stack headset might keep the height in check.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Hey geolover, how tall are you? I've pretty much picked the Yelli Screamy for my first 29er, but I'm stuck between a med and large.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken
    Hey geolover, how tall are you? I've pretty much picked the Yelli Screamy for my first 29er, but I'm stuck between a med and large.
    I'm 6'2 with proportional measurements. I chose the medium because to the 23.75" eff TT...this matches my large Titus Supermoto, which fits me perfectly. I do like a compact fit. I also wanted to makes sure the wheelbase was kept to a minimum.

The seat tube is very short though...it may not be enough for some that like to sit way up in the clouds while climbing. Works well for me though (well, so far...no real trail ride yet ).

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by bricke
    What about the hack on the fork?
    I've the same fork in my Chumba, and I'm intrested in this mod...
    I have yet to do it. I want to get some time in on the stock settings before I go rooting around inside. Here is the link if you want to giv'r.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=410874

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    How is the clearance between fork knobs and frame?

Even 26er bikes tend to be too tall in the front for me. A very low (or no) stack headset might keep the height in check.
    It is pretty good ~10mm clearance between TST knob and frame (closest point).

Headtube is "zero stack" standard.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. The medium is only .25" shorter than the large Tallboy I demo'd so it should be just right. I just need to pull the trigger and order it now....and find some wheels and a fork.

So the top of the headset is Zero Stack and the bottom is standard 1.5?
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Any more ride reports? :-)

mtbr member
    Seriously, 6'2" on a Medium? What length stem? Same height and I've never felt less than cramped on anything under a 20" frame. Do you do any long rides, say longer than 3 hours? Really, just so curious HOW people of our height can ride a bike that's so small
    I'm 6'2 with proportional measurements. I chose the medium because to the 23.75" eff TT...this matches my large Titus Supermoto, which fits me perfectly. I do like a compact fit. I also wanted to makes sure the wheelbase was kept to a minimum.

The seat tube is very short though...it may not be enough for some that like to sit way up in the clouds while climbing. Works well for me though (well, so far...no real trail ride yet ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Seriously, 6'2" on a Medium? What length stem? Same height and I've never felt less than cramped on anything under a 20" frame. Do you do any long rides, say longer than 3 hours? Really, just so curious HOW people of our height can ride a bike that's so small
    C'mon LyNx, leave the guy be - I've been very happy on my last two 24" ETT bikes at nearly 6'3"

Personal preference...?

Trophy Husband
    Do you ever ride your bicycle down a hill?

I don't care if I look like I'm monkey fvcking the handlebars...I generally prefer to setup my bikes for comfort/performance during the downhill portion of a ride. Do I do any long rides? Not as much anymore with a 1 and 3 year old boy nipping at my heels all day long. All my 3 hour plus rides are done at Whistler Bike Park nowadays (my bike for those days has a 23.5" ETT ).

For the record, I am using a 40mm Truvativ Holzfeller stem on the Yelli Screamy...felt pretty good on the shakedown ride last night.

Thanks for your concern.

Naturally Organic

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    C'mon LyNx, leave the guy be - I've been very happy on my last two 24" ETT bikes at nearly 6'3"

Personal preference...?
    Personal preference! I am 5'10" w/ 31" inseam (and non-gorilla arms...no offense to gorillas) and I like L frames. I have one on the way with a 24.2" TT, a setback seatpost and shorter stem...
    Granted for the intended application, I would size down with Lynx's Paradox and probably this Canfield...YMMV...

Trophy Husband

First ride

Finally got out on a ride last night. Interestng. Quite honestly I didn't notice too much difference in handling from my 26" hardtail. I did feel a slight gyroscopic difference when throwing the bike side-to-side, but I think it is something I will get used to after a few rides.

Climbing: I need MOAR gears! I noticed the gearing while climbing. Will have to look into 36T cassettes although, I haven't had much saddle time though and could just be fat and lazy. Short chainstays....Front end lifts easily. I felt like I would loop-out about as much as my old hardtail...which is a good thing . I'm used to riding bikes with short CS so I've learned to move forward in the saddle when I need to.

I have never ridden a fork with a lock-out. Tried it out on the last portion of my climb and I kinda liked it. Too bad I forgot to turn it off until 1/2 way through my descent .

Descending:
    First trail: Unemployment Line (note: this rider is NOT me)
    I couldn't believe how uncorfortable the ride was until I realized the fork was locked out. Big wheels keep on rollin'! Fast. Easy to flick around. Felt relatively comfortable jumping.

Sorry, I can't compare this to any other 29er as this is my first experience, but I didn't notice too much difference in turning/handling from my 26er HT and I guess that is a good thing. It does roll faster/better. So far, so good.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy-ys-first-ride.jpg

"El Whatever"
    Too bad I forgot to turn it off until 1/2 way through my descent .
    You suck.

(Read: I have envy on your new bike)
    Check my Site

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You suck.

(Read: I have envy on your new bike)
    Warp, of course you do.

And yes, I do suck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I want this bike. I just can't decide whether my ass can handle a hardtail again, I swore off them forever after I sold my old Transition Vagrant. That said, I bet this thing would be a crusher Super D bike (mellower pedally courses) with an adjustable post.

Oh and yes their top tubes seem long, I always ride a medium in 26" bikes but I'd go to a small for this with the 23.0" effective TT. I'm 5'10" 32" inseam FWIW.

mtbr member
    I simply asked an honest question, if that's wrong then I guess I got the idea of a forum wrong

And to your question Geo, YES, I do often go down very steep trails/hills with no problems with my 25.25" ETT, setback post, 110/0 stem and flat bar with 1-2" drop between saddle and bar and I do just fine if it's really steep/knarly I simply drop my saddle a few inches and I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004

Personal preference...?
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Trophy Husband
    I simply asked an honest question, if that's wrong then I guess I got the idea of a forum wrong
    I thought forums were for fanboi fanatacism and making fun of people anonymously.

And to your question Geo, YES, I do often go down very steep trails/hills with no problems with my 25.25" ETT, setback post, 110/0 stem and flat bar with 1-2" drop between saddle and bar and I do just fine if it's really steep/knarly I simply drop my saddle a few inches and I'm good.
    And I do just fine with my 23.7" ETT, straight (normal ) post, 40/0 stem and lo-rise bar going uphill. I guees that means I need a crutch for the downhills and you need a crutch for the uphills.

BTW, no offense taken by me with your original question. Different strokes.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    a good ride for me is 6,000 vert climbing, 40+ miles singletrack, 7+ hours.

on a bike w/ an ETT of 23.8" and a 18.5" ST. 710 mm bars make a huge difference. Otherwise i'd be on a 25 inch ETT with purple anodized parts and it would be 1996 all over again.

i'm 6'3".

i know plenty others in that same gen'l category. ...imagine you would if you lived in the western US.

mtbr member
    I don't think of it as a crutch, more as a prefered enjoyment of a particular style or part of the ride I like to ride for long, 3+ hours with loads of climbing is what I enjoy, but I also like the DH, but won't compromise the ability to be comfortable and have good climbing manners for it. I did swap down to a 110/0 from a 120/0 recently, liked the small change

I thought forums were for fanboi fanatacism and making fun of people anonymously.

And I do just fine with my 23.7" ETT, straight (normal ) post, 40/0 stem and lo-rise bar going uphill. I guees that means I need a crutch for the downhills and you need a crutch for the uphills.

BTW, no offense taken by me with your original question. Different strokes.....

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    i know plenty others in that same gen'l category. ...imagine you would if you lived in the western US.
    The West IS the best.

Tulsa
    This bike got little hype while everyone was talking nimble

can't wait for the nimble9, in the meantime, other offerings are coming onto the scene, great to see
    wherever you go, there you are