Can you run gears on a Redline Monocog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Can you run gears on a Redline Monocog?

I dont think it has a derailleur hanger, but is there a way around this? I would like to run 1x9 someday

May 2009
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, you can run gears on it. But you need to order a sliding dropout for it that has a derailleur hanger. You should be able to order it through the shop you bought it from.

Edit: The method I listed is for if you have a monocog flight 29er. If you have the regular one with track ends the link A from II posted should work

Virtus pre nummis
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoegold
    I dont think it has a derailleur hanger, but is there a way around this? I would like to run 1x9 someday
    I don't know about the 1X9 set up, but I tried to make mine a three speed with the existing hub and it was a total nightmare. I changed it back to a single speed after one day. I am sure you will need a new rear wheel or hub to make it work right.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazerwolf
    I don't know about the 1X9 set up, but I tried to make mine a three speed with the existing hub and it was a total nightmare. I changed it back to a single speed after one day. I am sure you will need a new rear wheel or hub to make it work right.
    Yes to run it 1x9 you will need either a new rear hub and lace it to the old rim or a new rear wheel

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cables?

where do you run the cables? zipties?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My '09 Flight 29er has cable stops. I don't know if other models do or not, you might have to use zip ties.

mtbr member
    yep, and you will have to run full cable housing as there are no stops. i had mine setup as a 3spd and 1x9, both worked perfectly fine. for 1x9, i would highly recommend running a bash guard and an inner chain stop to keep the chain on the ring. as far as a front der, i'm not sure what the options are.

mtbr member
    I ran my '06 (non-Flight) Monocog as a 1x8 for a couple months last year, including a trip to Fruita. I didn't have a bash ring/chain guide up front and I never had a problem. I was already using wheels with standard cassette hubs with a single cog spaced for SS. I only did this temporarily for the trip and went back to SS after I returned due to my riding style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can you run gears on a Redline Monocog?-cassette.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

Teen Wolf
    blasphemy for a MONO cog!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ran mine as a 1x9 for awhile by using a Saint rear derailleur / hub - worked just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis
    I didn't have a bash ring/chain guide up front and I never had a problem.
    YMMV, but in one ride without an inner guide, i dropped the chain 3 times and it was in the middle cog each time. i wouldn't ride a 1x9 setup without one.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ain+Guide.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520
    YMMV, but in one ride without an inner guide, i dropped the chain 3 times and it was in the middle cog each time. i wouldn't ride a 1x9 setup without one.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ain+Guide.aspx
    Yeah, I expected to need one too, but on some very chunky technical rides, I never dropped the chain once. The only thing that stopped me, besides a general lack of fitness, is that I got several pinch flats. I guess if I was the type of rider that flies through the rocks and stuff, my results may have been different.

Members who have read this thread: 2