Can I safely remove the finish from my Marys?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Can I safely remove the finish from my Marys?

So I'm compiling the parts for a new build and I'm really attracted to some of the bikes I've seen lately with all silver parts. Maybe I've just had black so long, that I'm looking for an excuse to mess around with some new parts. Anyway, I've set with the exception of my bars. I can't leave my Marys behind! Being a complete numbskull when it comes to metals, etc., I was hoping I could get some input.

From a couple of searches, I'm thinking that beadblasting would be my best bet to remove the finish. Would I have any structural issues? Should I coat the raw alloy to inhibit oxidation?

Maybe Brant will chime in and tell me a silver Mary is just around the corner! The easy way out.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger
    From a couple of searches, I'm thinking that beadblasting would be my best bet to remove the finish. Would I have any structural issues? Should I coat the raw alloy to inhibit oxidation?
    If it can be done to a Midge , I'm sure it can be done to a Mary. I'll probably do it to one of my Fleegle bars if I ever find the time.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger
    So I'm compiling the parts for a new build and I'm really attracted to some of the bikes I've seen lately with all silver parts. Maybe I've just had black so long, that I'm looking for an excuse to mess around with some new parts. Anyway, I've set with the exception of my bars. I can't leave my Marys behind! Being a complete numbskull when it comes to metals, etc., I was hoping I could get some input.

Maybe Brant will chime in and tell me a silver Mary is just around the corner! The easy way out.
    I too am getting together a all silver parts build. I had the aluminum spider from a set of Truvativ cranks that was anodized black. I had a plating shop put it in their acid etch on their anodize line. The finished product, nice pretty silver. Just add a little polish. The Mary bars a 6061 aluminum, so this might be a option.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

a couple of things to consider

Last edited by shark67; 02-21-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

mtbr member
    Two sets of two words:

Easy Off

Elbow Grease
    Professional Amateur

Members who have read this thread: 0