Can I polish my Ti frame?- Mtbr.com
    No Reputation!

Can I polish my Ti frame?

I sure hope this post doesn't get pulled because it's just a teeny bit OT but...

How hard is it to polish a brushed Ti frame to get that mirror finish? I'm betting the joints are a real pain but maybe it would look neat if the long sections of some of the tubes were polished. Like the downtube or top tube (or both?)

Anybody try this?

Jan 2004
    It would be difficult. I have a ti road bike and the manual from Litespeed insists that it is not recommended. When polished at the factory, they leave it unfinished prior to polishing and a brushed finish is different. It may not be impossible, but sure sounds difficult. If you find an easy solution, please report it because I'd consider polishing my road bike.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    I sure hope this post doesn't get pulled because it's just a teeny bit OT but...

How hard is it to polish a brushed Ti frame to get that mirror finish? I'm betting the joints are a real pain but maybe it would look neat if the long sections of some of the tubes were polished. Like the downtube or top tube (or both?)

Anybody try this?

No Reputation!

If I learn anything...I'll pass it on (nm)

5 characters...

Recovering couch patato
    The mirror finish on my buddy's Litespeed Ocoee need re-polishing from time to time. I've been thinking of a mirror polished finish, with a clearcoat to try and preserve the perfect mirror. How would that look?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

No Reputation!

it'd look b1tchin' but how? (NM)

Recovering couch patato
    Find the right pro, and pay him lots of money, I'm affraid. Doesn't sound like a home-job to me, but then again I'm not exactly a metal worker.

I really wonder how a good 'n thin clearcoat would preserve the mirror look. Man, imagine, polishing the frame one last time at with new cloth seconds before the clearcoat goes on...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I sorta polished one

I bought a used Ti sports cross frame that looked really dark and I've had 4-5 ti bikes over the years.

First of all,Litespeed used a "leading"tubeset for the polished finishes.That is,the tubeset was slghtly thicker that the brushed or satin ones to compensate for the thinning that occured during their polishing process.I'm guessing they used power buffers and took more stuff off than you will by hand.

If you want to brighten the frame some,WD-40 works well.

I actually prefer the semi-polished look of a friends Diamond Back road bike that was made by Ti Sports to the polished Litespeed I had..I got close to that look by using Mothers Mag wheel polish in the red can.Use a rag,rub longways on the tube,use new rags often,and you will soon have a much brighter appearanc.The longer you rub,the less brushed look you will have.Try it on the underside of a chainstay or to take out scratches first to see if you like it.

They use scotchbright pads for the brushed look and you can go back to that if you don't like your results.

Dan the hillbilly

Caveman

shinny

Use Lemon Pledge and scotch brite pads..

Recovering couch patato
    Because of my work, it would really be good if my chi-ti could look like the below pictured bike.
    Stickers shouldn't be as big a problem to obtain as getting the mirror effect and quickly after a clean clearcoat job. The pictured alu frame is the same I believe, polish, stickers and clearcoat. How hard is it to polish alu vs. ti, anyone know?

Thanks!

Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Is this a roadie forum?

J/K
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

No Reputation!

Well maybe those roadies are onto something

if you're talking about having one great bike, riding it all of the time, and polishing it with a well worn cotton t-shirt when it's not being ridden. Oh yeah, and the annual paint jobs! That would not be bad.