Can I get some sizing advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Can I get some sizing advice?

Hello all, first post from another noob on the forum. I have been lurking for about a month now and have learned a great deal, and I am now hoping some of the fine folks can give me a bit of advice.

I know, I know, the best way to determine sizing is to go to your LBS and get a proper fitting. But, I am looking into purchasing a used bike to thrash around on for a season before stepping into something nicer. So, I don`t really want to go to my Fisher dealer and get sized for a 19" but end up getting a Kona or a Sette and be in the wrong size range. So, I am hoping with a few simple measurements some people can give me some general guidelines on what to look for (this is coming from looking at a Kona Hei Hei2-9, which all sizes have a very similar standover height while looking at a Fisher Rig, there is a wider variation between the sizes).

I am 6'2", around 220lbs. If I measure my inseam according to the fit calculator on competitive cyclist, it is 35". Actually, I can just cut and paste all of my measurements from there if it will help:
    Inseam 35 in
    Trunk 27.75 in
    Forearm 15 in
    Arm 26 in
    Thigh 22.25 in
    Lower Leg 23.5 in
    Sternal Notch 61 in
    Total Body Height 74 in

I am thinking if I were to go with Fisher that XL would be the way to go (to avoid frame issues with my current size), but if I were to go with a Kona Hei Hei (I am not opposed to getting one of the leftover 2009s at a great price, I just don`t have a Kona dealer within 70 miles!) I would want to go with a 19" or 20" frame...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    At 6'2" you border both sizes L and Xl. With your inseam you will want to make sure you can extend the seatpost all the way without going past the max extensio . This is indicated on the post. Also check the the steer tube has not been cut to short since you are tall and the drop from saddle to handle should on average be 2 inches or less. This is my preference and I'm 6'2" as well.
    The kind of riding you do will influence the size as well. For more AM or trail riding with drops and technical terrain a large may be a better fit. For longer xc type an XL may be better.
    Be more concerned with top tube length and that fit rather than seattube length as long as the before mentioned post can be extended high enough for you. Ride it and see how it feels. Going to a few shops and riding some different bikes is a good way to find out what works for you. Try to ride L and XL of the same model to feel the difference. Then when you ride a used bike you'll know better what you likeor don't like.
    Good luck!

Axles of Evil

Ride what is available

I know it sounds redundant but, seriously, ride as many different bikes as you can. Take notes. Really. Might sound dorky but, it might save you another 140 mile round trip to remember what you didn't like. Just jot down stuff that comes to you. Parking lot test rides can only reveal so much. See if the shops have demos. Comfort is king and only you can decide which is best.

Now, at your height/inseam/arm length, you will really be pushing the upper limits of a typical "large." Terrain and riding style and overlap in sizes make this part fun (difficult).
    My advice would be to start big (XL) and work down in size.

As stated before, ride as many bikes as you can. Don't be afraid to ask for saddle adjustments, different length/rise stems, etc. If the shop isn't willing to do this for you, take your business and money elsewhere. Most shop guys are usually happy you are looking at a sweet bike and not another hybrid/cruiser that will be collecting dust in a month.

Sorry for the length.

Members who have read this thread: 0