Can the Fargo do it all?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Can the Fargo do it all?

Ok, I know it can't do it ALL... but can it replace my current XC rig?

I'm looking to do my first bike packing trip sometime in the next 12 months. This takes me bike shopping, naturally. I want a Salsa Fargo in a bad way. Specifically the 3.

At 1700 bucks, I have to sell some stuff to free up fundage. I am trying to figure out if the Fargo can double as a XC rig if I get a separate 80mm travel fork for it, or is it more of a dedicated touring bike?

General comments about experience with a Fargo is welcome.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    http://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/salsa-f...ne-891948.html

By the way, you can take just about any bike on a bikepacking trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/salsa-f...ne-891948.html

By the way, you can take just about any bike on a bikepacking trip.
    Roger that. Just trying to find that one bike. aren't we all?

mtbr member
    You could also think about a Fargo fork on your current XC bike (assuming it's a hard tail). That gives you half the braze ons from the Fargo right there.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    The 2014 Fargos are designed for 100mm suspension, not 80. I purchased my Fargo last year and ithas become the first choice for just about everything that I do. I enjoy it so much, Ive been thinking about buying a second one to add a suspension fork on for XC

Using the Fargo for an XC rig would probably depend on your definition of XC rig. I think the frame and general layout is conducive to that type of use (especially when paired with a 100mm shock fork). The questions in my mind would be handlebar and weight related. If you're good with the Woodchipper and the weight of the Fargo, you're okay. If you prefer a different handlebar you're looking at (nominally) a stem/bar/set of controls. I run my Fargo on single track as issued with no problems and just swapped tires (Club Roost CX) for more gravel/road touring. Can't say the CR tires are the best for gravel (too small), but that's not a bike issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsanch View Post
    Roger that. Just trying to find that one bike. aren't we all?
    No, not me. My personal philosophy is "5 to perfection." A cargo/family bike, road bike, cross bike, singletrack slayer, and a LD/bikepacking rig. Gave up on the "do it all" long time ago.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Jones. If I could make drop bars work, either the Fargo or Gryphon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    With a suspension fork the Fargo would definitely be a fun xc bike. Bear in mind that the short top tube will require that you stay with drop bars. I have ridden drop bar mtn bikes for years and they work great if you can get the bars in the right spot. Keep them high so you can descend in the drops with your hands on the brakes.
    I have wanted a Fargo since they first came out but they just don't fit me quite right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    With a suspension fork the Fargo would definitely be a fun xc bike. Bear in mind that the short top tube will require that you stay with drop bars. I have ridden drop bar mtn bikes for years and they work great if you can get the bars in the right spot. Keep them high so you can descend in the drops with your hands on the brakes.
    I have wanted a Fargo since they first came out but they just don't fit me quite right.
    That would be my nightmare. My other option is to do the El mar and by a separate rigid fork for the smoother tours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I may work on outfitting the X-caliber for bikepacking so that I can save for the Fargo Ti. If it's going to be a bike I hang on to for decades, I may as well get the one I really want the first time around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by edmun View Post
    nice share man... good experient..with your bikes.....
    sorry?