Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can the Fargo do it all?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lilsanch 
#1 ·
Ok, I know it can't do it ALL... but can it replace my current XC rig?

I'm looking to do my first bike packing trip sometime in the next 12 months. This takes me bike shopping, naturally. I want a Salsa Fargo in a bad way. Specifically the 3.

At 1700 bucks, I have to sell some stuff to free up fundage. I am trying to figure out if the Fargo can double as a XC rig if I get a separate 80mm travel fork for it, or is it more of a dedicated touring bike?

General comments about experience with a Fargo is welcome.

Thanks

G
#6 ·
Using the Fargo for an XC rig would probably depend on your definition of XC rig. I think the frame and general layout is conducive to that type of use (especially when paired with a 100mm shock fork). The questions in my mind would be handlebar and weight related. If you're good with the Woodchipper and the weight of the Fargo, you're okay. If you prefer a different handlebar you're looking at (nominally) a stem/bar/set of controls. I run my Fargo on single track as issued with no problems and just swapped tires (Club Roost CX) for more gravel/road touring. Can't say the CR tires are the best for gravel (too small), but that's not a bike issue.

#8 ·
With a suspension fork the Fargo would definitely be a fun xc bike. Bear in mind that the short top tube will require that you stay with drop bars. I have ridden drop bar mtn bikes for years and they work great if you can get the bars in the right spot. Keep them high so you can descend in the drops with your hands on the brakes.
I have wanted a Fargo since they first came out but they just don't fit me quite right.

This post has been deleted
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.