Can anyone please identify the year of this Niner Air 9?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Can anyone please identify the year of this Niner Air 9?

The guy says 2016 but would like verification. thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone please identify the year of this Niner Air 9?-niner-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Here's the build list fwiw.....selling for $900
    Niner Air9 frame Medium (5’5”-6’0”)
    Whisky Carbon fiber fork
    Bontrager RaceLite 29” rims
    Bontrager Carbon fiber seat post
    SRAM drivetrain
    Prologo PRO T 2.0 saddle
    New Schwalbe tires (bike will come with 2 sets of new tires)
    Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals

Super Moderator SuperModerator

same frame colour in '15 as well as '16, serial number is the only way to know for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks. Given the custom nature of the build, is it a reasonable price? Bluebook is of no help. Cheers

What are your riding expectations for the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Trails in area, we have tons of varying degrees of difficulty. I won’t be jumping more than 2’ I’d guess; too old for that stuff. Clearly this thing is built for speed and the low weight is attractive but am concerned about lack of suspension and ability to carry my 220-235 weight depending on season. While I’m 56 and 5’10”, I am fairly lean and lift heavy; a big but not fat guy.

The Niner is a "fast" bike. I had a One 9 with a carbon fork about 10 years ago (when I was 40) and it was stiff and light but was definitely punishing to ride. Back then I was racing so I was prepared to take the beating to win, but I did hurt the next day.

Have you looked at new bikes at all?

I work with a Trek dealer and am familiar with their bikes so I'm going to punt this to you for consideration: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

It's about the same price but if you want a "fun" bike this ticks a tonne more boxes. Suspension, dropper post, fat(ter) tires etc will make the bike heavier but it'll give way more smiles-per-mile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It's cross country inspired. Are you looking for a bike to pedal and be easier to climb or a bike to go fast down a hill and a bit of jumping regularly?

I ride a modern geometry bike, but ride with a couple guys on frame designs similar to what is posted. I've become faster than my friends. Some of it is my bike design an some (most) is more experience on my end now.
    They aren't slow by any means, but considering it has taken a while for me on a bike inspired for our trail conditions to be as fast or faster than them on their older bike and older design I think they would be faster if they had a bike more suited for our fast rocky downhills.

A good deal is only a good deal when it's the right buy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It's a 2016. I have the same bike but with a Rockshox 100mm front fork, SLX Shifters, Spank Oozy 295 wheels, Raceface Crank, Niner Carbon Bar and Niner Carbon Seatpost...I paid $1200 on sale from Jenson.

It's a great bike. I really like mine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone please identify the year of this Niner Air 9?-niner1.jpg  

Can anyone please identify the year of this Niner Air 9?-niner2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks everyone, lots to consider. I do think that at the very least, I'll need a front shock and may still buy this bike but install a shock. All told, I'd guess I'll be in the $1200-1400 range at most with other custom parts as in the deal. I'll use that number as a gauge when considering other used bikes. If I could find that Niner with a front shock for $1200 as in the thread, I'd be happy camper!!!