Calculated risk- Mtbr.com

Thread: Calculated risk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Calculated risk

I bought a new seatpost today. It is a Kcnc Pro Light 9000 31.6, length 400 mm. Only later I learned that it has a weight limit of 85 kg for xc use . If used on a full suspension bike will the suspension not absorb much of the stress placed on the components, especially the seatpost. The reason I bought it is because of its length and not to save weigth. Since I weigh more than 85 kg should I return it or hope for the best. Thanks in advance.

The Hutch
    if your worried about it just return it, and get a thomson.. that way you have piece of mind.
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    if your worried about it just return it, and get a thomson.. that way you have piece of mind.
    x2. Take a mental picture of a post snapping and then ask yourself: "Do I want to go there?"....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How much over are you and do you feel lucky?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by OutThere View Post
    ... If used on a full suspension bike will the suspension not absorb much of the stress placed on the components, especially the seatpost...
    Can't say about that for sure--your riding style will have something to do with it.

Personally, I'd bet money that my post on the full-suspension bike gets way more stress since I stay on the saddle more. On a hardtail most of us generally are tending to stand more of our weight on the pedals when we're in the rugged stuff. For me, learning how to exploit full suspension has involved staying seated more while encountering bumpiness.

I'd probably not keep the post, especially if you didn't choose it because of a weight-weenie bias.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    x2. Take a mental picture of a post snapping and then ask yourself: "Do I want to go there?"....
    +1 jillion. I've seen a scar from one dude who got impaled by a Ringle post back in the day after it snapped in half. Also saw a dude break his seatpost bolt in a 'cross race and impale his scrotum, but that's a whole different kind of horror.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    +1 jillion. I've seen a scar from one dude who got impaled by a Ringle post back in the day after it snapped in half. Also saw a dude break his seatpost bolt in a 'cross race and impale his scrotum, but that's a whole different kind of horror.
    Whoa, a scrot injury. That's heavy. You don't wanna play roulette with your scrot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I wouldn't mess around with weight limits, especially on something that would impale my undercarriage if it failed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

mini me is safe !!

Swapped the Kcnc for a Truvativ Stylo Team of the same lenght. A much thicker walled seatpost.
    Must admit I feel a lot better now, thank you for your replies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ultra light posts are simple not a good idea because you are not really saving much weight and it's not rotating weight.

I had a recent conversation with a person who broke his Niner frame. I am pretty sure the reason the frame broke is because he was using a light Ti post. The post actually broke a few months before the frame broke. What I think was happening was the post was flexing putting a strange stress on the frame that is similar to having a post that is not inserted all the way. We can't be sure but the way the frame broke makes me think the root cause was the flex and stress from the bad post.

My friend was lucky in that he was not hurt when the post broke. Later when the frame broke it was just a crack so he was fine. Going ultra light with stuff is rarely a good idea because you loose far more time when stuff breaks then you gain by having something a few less grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ever had a Scandium enema?

Members who have read this thread: 0