BW 1.0 on an older Fisher??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

BW 1.0 on an older Fisher??

Question for all 29er savvy gearheads! I have a chance to get a BW 1.0 at a great price and am wondering how it would work out on an 04 Fisher Frame (older style). I've done searches on the forum and found much discussion about getting the proper size fork so it doesn't throw off steering geometry and wondered if i would run into an problems?

The stock Zokie has 95mm of travel. Any other measurements i need to be aware of?
    many advanced thanks for any suggestions/thoughts.
    Let the good times roll!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blaise
    Question for all 29er savvy gearheads! I have a chance to get a BW 1.0 at a great price and am wondering how it would work out on an 04 Fisher Frame (older style). I've done searches on the forum and found much discussion about getting the proper size fork so it doesn't throw off steering geometry and wondered if i would run into an problems?

The stock Zokie has 95mm of travel. Any other measurements i need to be aware of?
    many advanced thanks for any suggestions/thoughts.
    Sounds like the Marzocchi is a 100mm travel. The 2004 Fisher Sugar 29ers came with a 100mm Marzocchi Marathon and the WB1.0 fits perfectly. If you have a 2004 hardtail frame (which was sold as a frame only unless it is the dual sport frame) you would need an 80mm travel fork. FYI - the WB 1.0 will "easily" convert to an 80mm travel fork (check out the WB website). If you want, the super cool WB people will take care of changing your fork travel.

Recovering couch patato
    Not all 1.0's are born equal.

I think it'll work with the 100mm. Just expect slower handing if you're sticking in a alonger fork. Measure your Marz and confirm 80/100mm to be sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

thanks fellas...

for the input. I will do some measuring. I would prefer a BW.8 but haven't found one i can afford yet! The bw 1.0 is already set at 80mm though.

I've also been looking for a comparison of the coil vs. the air version of the 1.0, do you guys have any thoughts on that?

For what it's worth the bike is an X-cal hardtail, 15.5 frame. I'm a little vertically challenged at 5.7 but love the big wheels. I've been riding it on fairly mild singletrack around Boulder but today took it to Apex mtn (some very tricky stuff for an XC racer) outside of Golden and was absolutely amazed at the stuff i could clear on the 29er compared to my old epic s-works. no comparison. I floated over stuff that i would get bounced around in with the 26" FS. I think I'm in for good.....

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Not all 1.0's are born equal.

I think it'll work with the 100mm. Just expect slower handing if you're sticking in a alonger fork. Measure your Marz and confirm 80/100mm to be sure.
    Cloxxki have you lost your mind or what? NurdBoy is right - if Blaise really has a 2004 Fisher Sugar 29er then it is designed for 100mm travel fork. If he as the older style (2003) Fisher Sugar 29er or any Fisher hardtail then then the bike is designed for an 80mm travel fork. You can tell the difference between the two by the color schemes - click this link to see all the old Fisher bikes and specs -->Gary Fisher Archive . Also NurdBoy is right about the WB1.0 being adjustable from 100mm to 80mm - Click here to see --> WB1.0 product description . For directions on how to convert the WB1.0 from 100mm to 80mm click here--> White Bros WB1.0 Tech Manual (warning it is a pdf file).

I've included a pic of my old (now sold) 2004 Fisher 292 with a WB 1.0 set at the bike's design of 100mm.
    E!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

So to get this straight...

The bike I have is a 2004 Fisher x-cal 29er, blue and black paint scheme.

As weird as this may sound, i downloaded the specs from marzocchi's website and they say that the stock oem fork that came on the bike is an odd 95mm of travel. (mxcomp) I've personally never heard of a 95mm fork. I measured from the axle to crown on the stock fork and got a hair over 500mm for whatever that is worth.

So I have effectively confused myself since it seems as though the stock fork may not have been the right size for the frame?? E, you're saying that all older Fisher HT's are built around an 80mm fork but to me it seems like they spec'd it with something too big?

So if I were to get a BW 1.0 (coil) and set it up for 80mm i'd be good to go? (not looking for guarantees just some help)

thanks for walking through this with me...

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by blaise
    The bike I have is a 2004 Fisher x-cal 29er, blue and black paint scheme.

As weird as this may sound, i downloaded the specs from marzocchi's website and they say that the stock oem fork that came on the bike is an odd 95mm of travel. (mxcomp) I've personally never heard of a 95mm fork. I measured from the axle to crown on the stock fork and got a hair over 500mm for whatever that is worth.

So I have effectively confused myself since it seems as though the stock fork may not have been the right size for the frame?? E, you're saying that all older Fisher HT's are built around an 80mm fork but to me it seems like they spec'd it with something too big?

So if I were to get a BW 1.0 (coil) and set it up for 80mm i'd be good to go? (not looking for guarantees just some help)

thanks for walking through this with me...
    Yes set up your fork for 80mm travel, install it and ride!

FYI - Marz had a 26" fork at 95mm - their literature was always hard to follow since they mixed 26" with 29" stuff together in the same documents. Also all Fisher hardtails have been designed around an 80mm fork - this includes 2002 to the present. The bike you are describing is essentially the same frame as the 2002 Supercal (like the one pictured above behind the 292). Fisher changed their hardtail frame design for the 2005 model year when they came out with the Paragon and new X-cal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

right on!

[QUOTE=Super E]Yes set up your fork for 80mm travel, install it and ride!

Thanks so much super E! I haven't purchased the WB yet....trying to do my research before making an expensive mistake. Your info is what i was looking for. I'm with you man, following the Marz documents can get a little dicey.

I really dig your Supercal...that is just a classic ride! Have you liked the Marathon fork? I really like the feel of the current Marz on my bike but it weighs a ton and lacks any kind of adjustments/lockout features. thanks for the time!

Only dead people are old
    [QUOTE=blaise]
    Quote Originally Posted by Super E
    ...I really dig your Supercal...that is just a classic ride! Have you liked the Marathon fork? I really like the feel of the current Marz on my bike but it weighs a ton and lacks any kind of adjustments/lockout features. thanks for the time!
    Thanks! I think the 2002 Supercal is a classic and will not likely part with it. I took off the Marathon fork long ago and replaced it with a Reba. In comparison to both the Reba and WB the Marz is a is a little noodley and it flexes much more with disc brakes installed. The Marz now just sits in the corner collecting dust. I recently stole the Reba for my new Dos Niner. The Supercal will be soon be sporting WB 0.8 that I just picked up. Enjoy your ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0