Buying new short travel 29er soon, help needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Buying new short travel 29er soon, help needed

Hi guys!
    Demoed the Pivot Trail 429 last Aug and really liked this bike!
    I liked it so much that I decided to buy one. Been saving my $$$ since, and already have a buyer for my bike (hope it would be sold next week).

I did some googling today and found this comparison of a few trail bikes, including mid and long travel trail bikes, and a comparison chart:
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...-buy-this-bike

Compared to similair bikes in it's class like the Ripley v4 and SC Tallboy, the Trail 429 got reletively low grades on the comparison chart:
    Fun Factor: only 7 compared with 9 for the Ripley and Tallboy
    DH performance: only 5 compared with 7 for the Ripley and 8 for the Tallboy
    Ease of maintenance: only 5 compared with 7 for the Ripley and Tallboy
    Climbing: 9 compared with 9 for the Ripley and 8 for the Tallboy
    Overall: 69 compared with 82 for the Ripley and Tallboy.

Are the Tallboy and Ripley so much better than the T429?
    I'v read and wached videos that suggested the T429 is more stable and planted than the Ripley on the DH like this head to head video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLNG-U9rRg

5 is a poor grade for DH capability. Any one owened/rode these two enough time to tell the diffrence? Is the T429 such a bad descender?
    In that video the T429 is described as stable, planted, solid and fun bike. It looks odd that Outdoorgearlab gave it such poor grades.

Thanks, Mo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a bike getting good responses to add to your comparison.

MTB SOCAL
    The Pivot Trail 429 doesn't have particularly modern geometry. Many newer trail bikes have slacker head angles / steeper seat tube angles.

I have also been looking at a short-travel 29er. I ended up ordering an Evil The Following v3. With the steeper seat angle, it should be even better than the well-reviewed Following MB it replaces. My buddy has a Knolly Fugitive and loves it much more than his slacker seat angle / longer travel Warden.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The 429 is super stiff and climbs great. Itís definitely due for an upgrade. Pivot just updated the Switchblade. I would expect a newer model by 2021/2022. So you might want to wait. I loved the new Ripley but it felt to small. The new Tallboy is awesome. Itís basically a mini enduro bike. When Outdoor gear tested the Tallboy they had the cheaper model and the Ripley was the higher end model however with equivalent builds the Ripley is almost 1.5 pounds lighter than the Tallboy or Pivot if that matters to you. If you canít wait go for the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Here's a bike getting good responses to add to your comparison.

This is a 150/140 bike, not really short travel. I've seen 3-4 of these bikes in Durango this week. Clearly one of the shops must have them as demos as I haven't seen 3-4 Orbea's TOTAL in the last 10 years of traveling around the Western US. That being said, I see a Ripley nearly every single ride and saw (5) at one trailhead this week.

I've only owned an Ibis since last July and haven't really needed their customer service yet but I've emailed them many times over the years to ask questions and they are always very helpful. Santa Cruz is pretty good as well but no Ibis. I've had (2) Pivot's and trying to get a simple bolt from them for my Mach 6 was a colossal PITA. The only worst service I received is from Yeti. Those guys act like you're bothering them.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I would ignore these reviews and demo bikes-----for example there are tons of great reviews on the 429---the bible guys for one---but you are not these guys so the info is of some use but not much-----

I have ridden the Ripley a bunch but it just does not fit me----have ridden the Tallboy a bit and liked it but felt slow handling on my trails---rode and bought the 429 because it fit and was the most fun on my trails. If I rode faster and steeper trails then the Tallboy probably I would like better but in tighter terrain, the bit steeper HTA on the 429 felt better.

These are all superbikes and the one for you is the one you ride and think is the most fun---but none of these are bad bikes

wafflemaster
    Jan 2004
    I love the Ripley v4, Coming from SoCall ridden in chuck & steep TBv1, 5010v2, '19 SJ 29 & it kills for me. Building up a Ripmo but it's likely a tougher haul uphill
    wafflemaster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Had ripley v4
    Sold it to bestie as I was hoping for something just as quick but with more capabilities
    Occam destroys it
    JFKís review slots it between the ripley and ripmo, pink bike says it was the best climber in their trail bike shoot out
    I went with the 36 up front, dpx2, full XT build and carbon wheels and itís @29.1 lbs with cage and pedals
    Only knock it gets is that itís not enduro Cush on the downs but we just got back from long weekend in Pisgah and the occam was awesome on pilot rock DH. I was riding with 2 new TB4ís and they handled big days well but I was the fastest both up and down
    If youíre a fit and active rider, the occam will reward u in spades and wonít feel stupid or slow at ur local trails
    Also, just me, I like having a bike that you donít see 5 of at every trailhead....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thank you guys for your replias!

I'm riding Specialized E29er (160/150mm F/R) and in the last year I ride more flowy trails with 1-2' drops max.
    That is why I'd like a short travei 29er that can climb and pedal better on longer rides.
    I bet that the Orbea, Ripmo, Switchblade Hightower ect are great bikes but I'm looking for shorter travel now (rented a Hightower at Moab last July and enjoyed it, but for the trails I ride now the Tallboy etc would fit more)

Haven't demoed the Ripley but I looked at the numbers and M size might be small, maybe one size up will feel better. Need to see if I can demo one soon enough.

One thing I can tell about the T429 I demoed (M size, pro XO1 build) is that it felt fantastic right from the first pedal strokes. It might sound strange and even stupid, but I just felt that this bike was tailor made for me... The reach, sitting position, cockpit, suspension; everything just felt so dialed like no other bike I owned or demoed before.

BTW, I'm not looking for the lightest bike or 1-2 sec faster bike. At this pricepoint I just want the most fun bike!

Thanks again! hope to update soon.

Mo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just got a demo Ripley for the weekend. I will take it for a couple of rides and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Had a 20 mile XC ride on a flat terrain, and a short 7 mile AM trail the day after.
    1. The Ripley climbes GREAT! it makes it easier on short but techy climbes too.
    2. DW suspension is very good and it is noticeable.
    3. The bike is fast and efficient on long XC rides.
    4. It shines less is on the DH. I wish it was more plush and stable on techy DH sections (demoed a Trail 429 that was more planted and plush than the Ripley)
    5. Althouth I enjoyed riding it and it's a fantastic bike, I felt like it's more of a climbing and pedallng oriented bike. I'm looking for a better all rounder, do-it-all-bike that is more capable and confidence inspiring on the DH too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying new short travel 29er soon, help needed-20200709_100235.jpg  

Buying new short travel 29er soon, help needed-20200709_193928.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Have you considered Alchemy Arktos ST?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Had a 20 mile XC ride on a flat terrain, and a short 7 mile AM trail the day after.
    1. The Ripley climbes GREAT! it makes it easier on short but techy climbes too.
    2. DW suspension is very good and it is noticeable.
    3. The bike is fast and efficient on long XC rides.
    4. It shines less is on the DH. I wish it was more plush and stable on techy DH sections (demoed a Trail 429 that was more planted and plush than the Ripley)
    5. Althouth I enjoyed riding it and it's a fantastic bike, I felt like it's more of a climbing and pedallng oriented bike. I'm looking for a better all rounder, do-it-all-bike that is more capable and confidence inspiring on the DH too.
    I'm confused, did you relaly think a Ripley would be good on a technical downhill?

So yeah, if you need a bike that can handle more, then you need more bike.

I ride a Trail Pistola, 130/140, it's long, low, and slack. The frame and build are designed for all mountain riding, similar to it's sibling, it is built tough. Of course, it's also not lightweight like a Ripley.

So more bike, but not necessarily more travel, that's what I look for in a bike.

Knolly makes a burly short travel 29er, as does Transition, these are the sort of companies I lean toward for these kinds of bikes.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

mtbr member
    +1. Way more well rounded than the Ripley.

Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    Have you considered Alchemy Arktos ST?

mtbr member
    The Orbea Occam is picking up a lot of great reviews lately. I knew it was going to be a popular bike last year when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8av86gBVBtE

Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Had ripley v4
    Sold it to bestie as I was hoping for something just as quick but with more capabilities
    Occam destroys it
    JFKís review slots it between the ripley and ripmo, pink bike says it was the best climber in their trail bike shoot out
    I went with the 36 up front, dpx2, full XT build and carbon wheels and itís @29.1 lbs with cage and pedals
    Only knock it gets is that itís not enduro Cush on the downs but we just got back from long weekend in Pisgah and the occam was awesome on pilot rock DH. I was riding with 2 new TB4ís and they handled big days well but I was the fastest both up and down
    If youíre a fit and active rider, the occam will reward u in spades and wonít feel stupid or slow at ur local trails
    Also, just me, I like having a bike that you donít see 5 of at every trailhead....