mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Buying a new set of wheels.. what do all the numbers mean?

My partner just asked for a new set of wheels for xmas. His rear wheel is buckled (not for the first time), he ripped a hole in his back tyre and is now back to running tubes - which for him means getting flats every time he rides (he borrowed my bike once and was back 30minutes later with a flat tyre - the only flat tyre that that bike has ever gotten).

Looking for a new set of wheels (wheels, tyres, disc brakes, everything except the cassette).

Currently has a 29" with 2.4" tyres.

He rides a lot of rocky singletrack, takes drops but not really jumps. I think this is the second time he has buckled a rear wheel, and he gets flat tyres all the time (every.single.ride). He doesn't care about weight so much as strength.

What does - 15x110mm F 12x148mmR - mean?
    and how much money should I be expecting to spend?
    CRC has a decent set of Nukeproof Horizons that inc. a set of tyres, but I have no idea if it is worth it.

Bonus points for telling me if this amount of flats is normal, and suggesting why it is happening. I hinted that maybe he is landing really heavy, but I don't know if that is a thing.

All help welcome, it will give me ammunition before I head into the LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Ooh, just found this: https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...an-991081.html

So now I know what the numbers mean.

Still chasing advice about the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well done for getting into this as it's super hard to work out.

Short answer on the Nukeproof Horizons wheels is that for the $$$ they're actually pretty good. It'd be nicer if they had more spokes but I'm 95kgs, ride hard and they're plenty study for me. And I own carbon wheels too.

To help avoid punctures he needs to run tyres with sufficient protection in the side walls.
    Bontrager SE tyres for example have more sturdy sidewalls. Maxxis with the double down (DD) casing too I believe.
    Stay away from lightweight cross country or light trail tyres.

You could also add Huck Norris inserts or the more expensive but more robust Cushcore inserts. They go in the tyre and offer protection from the rim hitting the tyre on big impacks and splitting the tyre (snake bite punctures) as well as rim damage.

Going tubeless will also help avoid punctures too.

So, depending on your budget, the Horizon wheels are pretty good I find. Hope also do a decent wheel (Tech Enduro) but it's worth looking at the DT Swiss EX511 or XM481 with DT370 hubs.

Go tubeless,
    Get decent tyres with sidewall protection.
    Get tyre inserts.

They're not going to be light but they're going to be strong and less likely to result in the walk of shame back to the car with flat tyres.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I'll second the suggestion of huck norris or cushcore. I don't want to add too much weight to my tires so I run a Huck Norris on the back only as that is usually the place you get flats. And it can protect those expensive wheels from damage.

And you are a good person for buying him some carbon wheels for xmas, nobody ever buys me cool bike stuff as gifts

mtbr member
    You might also get hime a decent pressure gauge, running too low a pressure may be part of the problem for both flats and rim damage
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I'll second the suggestion of huck norris or cushcore. I don't want to add too much weight to my tires so I run a Huck Norris on the back only as that is usually the place you get flats. And it can protect those expensive wheels from damage.

And you are a good person for buying him some carbon wheels for xmas, nobody ever buys me cool bike stuff as gifts
    You have sold me on the cushcore, just on the back I think. I bought him lessons for xmas last year, but it was so hard to schedule them around his work hours that me and my mates are about to go and use the last two ourselves

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Get them for both wheels. I've pinged a rim several times on the front. And yes, the rear is more likely but the front can get them too. I had a period where I just kept getting front and rear snake bites on the same section of trail.

Did you decide on wheels? Carbon ones are nice but as recommended above like the WR1 get a decent warranty. They're strong but can still fail due to impact damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Horizons have 29mm rim inner width. That's good for 2.35 Bontrager SE tires.
    But tires are specific to the terrain he rides. Dry or wet. Rocky/rooty and speed contributes.
    What tire is he using now?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Horizons have 29mm rim inner width. That's good for 2.35 Bontrager SE tires.
    But tires are specific to the terrain he rides. Dry or wet. Rocky/rooty and speed contributes.
    What tire is he using now?
    shut up already