Buying 29ers sight unseen ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Buying 29ers sight unseen ?

After calling all 8 GF dealers within 100 miles, I found only one 17" Cobia in stock. I need a 21", so I don't think I'll bother driving 3 hours round trip to try the 17". All the shop owners remarked that 29ers just haven't caught on around here.
    Are most first tme 29er buyers in the south-east ordering bikes as a leap of faith wo ever trying one first ? If 29ers are not being stocked in the western NC and SW Virgina mountains which has pretty decent mountain biking, where are the bikes being sold ?
    My guess is that the vast majority of the current market must be in western US.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
    After calling all 8 GF dealers within 100 miles, I found only one 17" Cobia in stock. I need a 21", so I don't think I'll bother driving 3 hours round trip to try the 17". All the shop owners remarked that 29ers just haven't caught on around here.
    Are most first tme 29er buyers in the south-east ordering bikes as a leap of faith wo ever trying one first ? If 29ers are not being stocked in the western NC and SW Virgina mountains which has pretty decent mountain biking, where are the bikes being sold ?
    take the leap.

(was) Big in Japan

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by 29inch
    take the leap.
    Yep. If you see a bike that seems like what you already know and like, only with bigger wheels, chances are you're gonna love it. IMO the big wheels make good better. Based on most posts here, there is a very high likelihood that you are gonna be happy, and a very slim chance that you will be disappointed.

Do it!
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I agree do it. If you need an XL you are a perfect candidate for any 29er. I am 6'6" and love how both of my 29ers fit me.

I can't comment on other areas of the U.S., but I guess we have a little 29er hot bed here in SE Michigan. All of the local GF dealers I have been in recently have at least a few 29ers on the floor. My local GF dealer even has two XL (21") on the floor (Rig and Cobia). Another dealer a short drive north has a demo fleet of 29ers. They brought out 8 bikes to a local demo day this summer. Seven of them were 29ers (2 Rigs, X-cal, couple Cobias, 292, and a Moots) and one was 26 (Moots Cinco). And, most of those same shops atleast one employee owns a 29er, but it is usually more than one. If the people who sell or work on the bikes ride 29ers I think you will see a lot more of them in shops.

I think you are going to have trouble finding an XL. It seems that the tall guy gets pimped, myself included. You could order one, but the distributor/factory might not even have any XL in stock. Are you looking for a Cobia or ?

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Our local bike shop has several 21" 29er Fishers.

http://www.rivercitycycling.com/
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Hoops - Big and Small

I Did

Most 29er Honks would say yes - I'll try and persuade no.

I find steering a 26er easier than a 29er - Is this important? It can be on extremely thin single track. Steering is important in some situations.

Jumping a 29er and crossing up (semi table top) seems to be more critical (gyroscoping wheel?) I feel on my 26er I have more room for error when landing off balance.

The 29er is a hoot to get in the air, it's hard to recommend it over a 26er though.

It easier to go slow on a 26er - big wheels beg you to keep them rolling, I don't think you will be seeing any 29er doing trials for all sorts of reasons.

29ers are huge - fitting, lifting, moving it around it just takes up more space.

All that said I did buy my Slingshot Big Single site unseen. I rode GF's from my LBS, I wanted something special. I love my bike! I did a night ride last night and felt like a kid again. Just don't drink the purple kool-aid unless your willing to live with the consequences. I drink green, Yummy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    i was riding an fs 26er and bought a custom rigid 29er without ever trying one...held onto my 26ers for a year just in case. They are gone now. drink deeply or go home. too much anylsis is paralyzing. by the way, i spent all thanksgiving week riding pisgah and actually found that at least one store stocked 29er tires, and the others all seemed to have someone in the shop on a 29er...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    i was riding an fs 26er and bought a custom rigid 29er without ever trying one...held onto my 26ers for a year just in case. They are gone now. drink deeply or go home. too much anylsis is paralyzing. by the way, i spent all thanksgiving week riding pisgah and actually found that at least one store stocked 29er tires, and the others all seemed to have someone in the shop on a 29er...
    How did your bike handle Pisgah ?

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

some background...i used to ride there every single weekend for 1-2 years,98-2000, on a hardtail 26er. my 29er is set up single speed right now with a reba front shock. I'm also in better shape now, so it's a bit hard to compare, but the only loop that i used to regularly do that i also did this time I cut over 15 minutes off of a 1.25 hour loop. i won't buy another 26er wheeled bike...of course everyone on this board is a convert, so we do tend to be a "bit" evangelical!

No Reputation!

I did it too

I bought one (an airborne b29) w/o trying first too, if you need an XL then you're in for a treat. I'd guess that there is only a slim, slim chance you'd not like it and if worst came to absolute worst you could prolly sell it without taking a complete bath. But you'll dig it.

mtbr member
    I will have bought all 3 of my 29ers without even seeing them first. (the 3rd is a custom so I am sure it will fit).

The first 29er I bought was a GF Rig for $1k. At the time, the 2005's were running out, so I figured if I didn't dig the whole 29er thing , I could flip it and get most of my money back. What happened next was that my Turner 5-Spot was never ridden again.

The Rig, Cobia, Inbred, or upcoming Redline are all cheap ways to see if you like 29ers. If you ended up not liking 29ers (which I doubt will happen) it would probably take less than a week to sell it an re-coup most of the purchase price.

I say order one!

And He was Not
    I rode my recently purchased Rig in some of the roughest stuff Wilson Creek
    (Grandfather Mt. District) had to offer this weekend. I found the 29 really did a better job than my 26 at rolling down the EXTREMELY steep chutes. I was able to confidently roll through some real ugly stuff. It did not seem as playful on the water burm type jumps, but I could go faster. I think the 29 has alot to offer in the Pisgah area. I'm not sure how much beating the Rig can stand, Alu. has a limited # of cycle rates, but it does have a lifetime warranty on the frame. This was taken this weekend on the same ride, and that ain't me or my bike( it a friend on a Rigid Soma 29), but you get the idea

Last edited by Enoch; 01-10-2006 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    I rode my recently purchased Rig in some of the roughest stuff Wilson Creek
    (Grandfather Mt. District) had to offer this weekend. I found the 29 really did a better job than my 26 at rolling down the EXTREMELY steep chutes. I was able to confidently roll through some real ugly stuff. It did not seem as playful on the water burm type jumps, but I could go faster. I think the 29 has alot to offer in the Pisgah area. I'm not sure how much beating the Rig can stand, Alu. has a limited # of cycle rates, but it does have a lifetime warranty on the frame. This was taken this weekend on the same ride, and that ain't me or my bike( it a friend on a Rigid Soma 29), but you get the idea

I can't believe you rode those trails on a SS !
    What does " alu has a limited number of cycle rates mean". If I get a 29er, I'll be breaking it in on those same trails. Sounds like aluminum may not like a steady diet of Pisgah.
    Wonder if the (steel) Redline Monocog could be converted to gears ?
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-10-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Dec 2005
    I had to buy my X-Caliber sight unseen. The bike came in earlier than I expected and had to wait a few weeks to come up with the $$$$$. The shop sold 3 using mine as a demo. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should've got it a little cheaper because they used it a little?

mtbr member
    What does " alu has a limited number of cycle rates mean".
    Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth a few times. Notice how it bends the first few times but eventually breaks? That's aluminum.

What are paper clips made of anyway? I don't know, but that's not the point. The point is that after bending a few __ times aluminum will fail. Steel will take longer and titanium even longer than that (as in, not in your lifetime).

I'd go ahead and get that Rig (or Cobia, Excalibur or Paragon) though. If the frame breaks, they'll give you a new one (lifetime warranty).

I don't know where they're selling all the 29er's as it isn't here in the NW either. None of the GF shops around here are stocking them.

You may ask one of your local shops if they'll bring one in for you to try. I know a shop near me was willing to get one for me to see if it fit as long as I was about 80% sure I'd buy it.

Cheers!
    -Ian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Take a paper clip and bend it back and forth a few times. Notice how it bends the first few times but eventually breaks? That's aluminum.

What are paper clips made of anyway? I don't know, but that's not the point. The point is that after bending a few __ times aluminum will fail. Steel will take longer and titanium even longer than that (as in, not in your lifetime).
    Paperclips are made out of steel. Not sure where that leaves your theories.

Whilst steel can exhibit infinite fatigue life, this is only for very low levels of stress. Nothing like the levels that a typical bicycle frame, made from steel with wall thickness typically down to 0.5 or 0.6mm.

And I write this as a designer who generally only works in steel.

Which is why my frames tend to be a little heavier than some, but I don't like things breaking.

Recovering couch patato
    Before I started investing in 29", I had only ridden a marginal, way-too-small Nishiki bike around a 50-yard testcourse on a bike show.
    I bought a used Fisher Xl from overseas, loved it.
    Bought a KM from a pic, I was the first European, maybe second earthling to ride one built up in a shop.
    After that, it really doesn't feel sight unseen anymore. Them with 26" it was always like that too. I want something special, and in XL, no dealer stocks that koind of stuff here, and I bought all through on specific one that gave me screaming deals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Sub $1300.00 29ers (Revised list)

Is this the complete list for 06's ?

Aluminum Frames;
    Gary Fisher
    Rig
    X-Caliber
    Cobia
    Montare
    Kaitai
    Utopia

Steel
    On-one inbred
    Redline monocog
    Surly KM
    Soma Juice

I would appreciate hearing more on the aluminum vs steel issue.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-11-2006 at 06:53 AM.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Is this the complete list for 06's ?

Aluminum Frames;
    Gary Fisher
    Rig
    X-Caliber
    Cobia
    Montare
    Kaitai
    Utopia

Steel
    On-one inbred
    Redline monocog
    Surly KM
    Surly 1x1

I would appreciate hearing more on the aluminum vs steel issue.

try this. it is very close to your 1300 limit, but is total custom
    http://www.waltworks.com/dev/pricing/dirtgears.php

kung food
    The 1x1 is not a 29er. The Soma Juice is another candidate in the steel category. Also, for $1350 you can get a custom Waltworks, with his "dirtbag" build kit. (edit: mcd beat me to it.)

The steel vs. aluminum debate comes up over and over and over again.

Bottom line: Materials are all in how you use them. It's perfectly feasible to build an aluminum softail with a cycle life to match or exceed a traditional air hardened steel frame, e.g. Castellano's Fango. The suspension on the frame could be bottomed every ten seconds, for three hours, every day, and still last over 60 years. Similarly, one could weld up a large diameter thinwall steel (or ti) frame capable of rattling the fillings right out of your teeth. A steel frame is typically more forgiving than a comparable aluminum frame, and aluminum is more inclined to suffer catastrophic failure than steel (although I've seen my share of sheared steel frames.) Further, perhaps the most durable mountain bike frame on the market is constructed from aluminum (evil imperial.)

What this means is don't discount either material in hand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks.
    I wonder if Redline will have an alu version of the 29er ?

mtbr member
    Are most first tme 29er buyers in the south-east ordering bikes as a leap of faith wo ever trying one first ?
    I'm from Tampa, Florida and I have yet to see a 29er in a LBS (perhaps they are there now, but when I made calls around before buying my first, I got negative answers from each LBS). So, yeah, I bought my first 29er on a "leap of faith" and have since bought another without trying-before-buying.

Prior to that, 2 of my previous 26" inch bikes were bought sight-unseen. IMO, its too much of a hassle to deal with the LBS when looking for a niche type product. That might not be the case in other places ... for example, if I had a shop like "The Path" in California to deal with, I'd be there all the time ... but where I live its much easier to get ahold of stuff via the keyboard/phone.

I always bleed like this.
    Go for it. I bought my Inbred sight unseen and only ridden a Rig around the block a few times. That waltworks is a great price for a custom but I am VERY satisfied with my Inbred. If you know what you want in the size, as far as dimensions, you should be safe.
    Oh, did I say that I love my inbred?

Bored
    The Kona Unit 2-9 should be able to be built up for less than $1300.00 US. SRP US on the frame is $499.00

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...categoryid=264

With a good Deore group, you should be able to come in way below that.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    The Kona Unit 2-9 should be able to be built up for less than $1300.00 US. SRP US on the frame is $499.00

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...categoryid=264

With a good Deore group, you should be able to come in way below that.
    Thanks, that one slipped past me. Kona would be a good choice for me since our LBS is a dealer, but no one locally has GF. Any danger in getting their first 29er offering as far as kinks in the system ?
    Is scandium any stronger than aluminum ?

mtbr member
    Brant and Jace,
    Thank you for correcting me on the materials details. I should have known paperclips are steel as they can be magnetized. I wasn't sure what they were made of though I do now.

Isn't my "theory" still correct? I mean the paperclip breaks because it gets cycled one too many times right? Just like a frame that breaks. Unless of course it breaks because it collides with something really hard.

Oh, and to keep it on topic. I'm getting my 29er sight unseen as well. Almost bought one of the Gary Fisher models but decided I'd give FS a shot and ordered up an Asylum from Speedgoat instead. I hope I like it. If I don't, I'll probably get a steel hardtail. Best descending XC racebike I ever rode was a Specialized SWorks steel hardtail in '96 (borrowed from a friend). That thing was so [email protected] smooth.

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Last edited by goneskiian; 01-11-2006 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Brant and Jace,
    Thank you for correcting me on the materials details. I should have known paperclips are steel as they can be magnetized. I wasn't sure what they were made of though I do now.

Isn't my "theory" still correct? I mean the paperclip breaks because it gets cycled one too many times right? Just like a frame that breaks. Unless of course it breaks because it collides with something really hard.
    The paperclips failure mode is closer to that of something crashing into a tree, but even then, failure varies from situation to situation.

Frame tubes often fail in crumpling mode, best shown/defined by a thing called Euleurs law. Which discusses tube crumple mode failure where the wall thickness approaches 1/50th of the diameter.

A simple explanantion of fatigue is that if you got a steel and aluminium ruler (or do you call them RULEs over there?) and put them over the edge of a desk, and pinged them down with your finger, providing you were doing it lightly enough, the steel one would last forever, and the aluminium one would fail eventually.

This has little/no bearing on a bike frame.

As often documented 747's and other big planes have wings. Made of aluminium, not steel. And they don't fall off. And they are built with a far SMALLER factor of safety than most mountainbike frames.

mtbr member
    Good point about the airplane wings.

Yeah, I guess bending a paperclip is pretty catastrophic if you think on the scale of the paperclip! LOL!

Thanks again. As my pops used to say, "You learn something new every day." I hope I don't come across as know-it-all as I sure as heck don't (know it all that is).

Is scandium any stronger than aluminum ?
    1-track-mind, I'll have to defer this one to the materials experts.
    Last edited by goneskiian; 01-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Mar 2004
    It's okay to buy sight unseen, just make sure you do as much homework as possible.

I was lucky enough to be able to demo and test ride a Fisher Rig before I made the plunge. So I was sold on the performance of the 29er in general.

But then came the specifics...

I bought a Monkey sight unseen. Didn't like it some of the characteristics of it when it came in the mail. These were things that I notice before buying, just didn't think too much of it til I started to build it and had second thoughts. The 16" frame:1) has little room in the seat tube to drop the saddle due to the curve, 2) the rear dropout was a bit too complicated for my taste when running gears, and 3) I wantd a taller headtube. All personal preferences that I should have thought more about before buying. So I sold the Monkey for slight lost in $$$, but not too bad since it was pretty much close to new.

I should have just bought the Inbred from the start because it didn't have any of the nit picky things that I didn't like about the KM. So now I have the Inbred.

My advice is to look over the details of the frame or bike and make sure that it's what you want or need.

mtbr member
    I'll have to defer this one to the materials experts but I think what bike frame manufacturers are calling "Scandium" is really an Aluminum alloy with Scandium as (one of?) the alloying metals. Not exactly sure why they use the Scandium though.
    Yes - you're right - Scandium is just an alloying element. Easton actually call it SC7000 (ie: scandium with 7000 series). But calling the metal tube "scandium" is like calling a straight 7000 series tube "zinc" or a 6000 series tube "magnesium/silicon".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    I should have just bought the Inbred from the start because it didn't have any of the nit picky things that I didn't like about the KM. So now I have the Inbred.

My advice is to look over the details of the frame or bike and make sure that it's what you want or need.
    I think you should just buy an inbred :-)

But seriously - we sell 90% of our stuff mail order, and the amount of people that signed up for the new 29er frame or bike, without EVER having seen it was amazing.

It's not 100% perfect - I evolve things batch on batch, On this new batch I've ordered I just made the holes in the rear dropout a little bigger to save a few more grammes :-), and also moved the downtube up 5mm on the head tube to get more reba clearance.

Anyhow - in my experience, if you think you're going to like something, you will. And if you aren't sure, you probably won't. ie: buy the one you think you want. Does this help?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for all the good information. There are more choices out there than I originally thought in the 29 inch wheeled market.
    According to the Salsa website, scandium alloy enables aluminum to be welded allowing for smaller diameter tubes while improving the strength properties. Speaking of Salsa, I'd love to hear from any past or present Dos Niner owners. I am especially interested in a ride/value comparison to any of the Gary Fisher 29ers.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-12-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I think you should just buy an inbred :-)

But seriously - we sell 90% of our stuff mail order, and the amount of people that signed up for the new 29er frame or bike, without EVER having seen it was amazing.

It's not 100% perfect - I evolve things batch on batch, On this new batch I've ordered I just made the holes in the rear dropout a little bigger to save a few more grammes :-), and also moved the downtube up 5mm on the head tube to get more reba clearance.

Anyhow - in my experience, if you think you're going to like something, you will. And if you aren't sure, you probably won't. ie: buy the one you think you want. Does this help?
    I've bought nearly all of my bikes over the years without having ever test ridden them, just because I thought I was going to like them, and in almost all cases I did. I turned around and sold the two bikes that I didn't like within a month or so and only lost $50. I'm a pretty average fit, so that helps.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Interesting that you’ve been told 29ers aren’t catching on in the south east. My experience has been quite the opposite. I have ridden and raced all over the southeast this year and am continuously amazed at how many big wheeled bikes I come upon. Right over the mountain in Knoxville the Fisher dealers sell their 29ers as soon as they hit the showroom floor. We have 3 really good bike shops in town and at least one owner of each shop rides a 29er.

This past fall I spent 8 weekends strait riding in Pisgah almost exclusively on my 29ers (did a few runs on the DH bike) and wouldn’t have wanted anything else. Singletrack Pig and One Gear Guy are regulars on this board and ride 29ers in Pisgah all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Interesting that you’ve been told 29ers aren’t catching on in the south east. My experience has been quite the opposite. I have ridden and raced all over the southeast this year and am continuously amazed at how many big wheeled bikes I come upon. Right over the mountain in Knoxville the Fisher dealers sell their 29ers as soon as they hit the showroom floor. We have 3 really good bike shops in town and at least one owner of each shop rides a 29er.

This past fall I spent 8 weekends strait riding in Pisgah almost exclusively on my 29ers (did a few runs on the DH bike) and wouldn’t have wanted anything else. Singletrack Pig and One Gear Guy are regulars on this board and ride 29ers in Pisgah all the time.
    Actually, I just assumed that if they weren't being stocked in the WNC,SW Va & NE Tn., then they wouldn't be available in the SE. Ironically, many former MTBers up here in the mountains are riding road bikes instead of hitting the trails. I am actually in that category myself, which is why I have so many questions about 29ers. I've never even seen one, and don't know anyone who owns one for that matter. Unlike some of the unconditional bike lovers around here, the quality of the bike does influence my desire to ride. Right now, riding a new road bike is more fun and far less expensive than riding a 5 yo rigid MTB.
    If a 29er is not a substantial upgrade over my current bike and re-kindles my interest in off-road riding, then it will be a mistake for me to buy one.
    Each day that I ride, I can either hop on my road bike and ride or drive an hour in any direction and get on good trails. In a nutshell, the 29er would need to be good enough to off-set added time and cost of driving.
    Last edited by 1-track-mind; 01-12-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Mar 2004
    ...If a 29er is not a substantial upgrade over my current bike and re-kindles my interest in off-road riding, then it will be a mistake for me to buy one. Each day that I ride, I can either hop on my road bike and ride or drive an hour in any direction and get on good trails. In a nutshell, the 29er would need to be good enough to off-set added time and cost of driving.
    I think we can post all the tips and advice we can, but in the end only you can answer that question of whether a 29er will rekindle and maintain your interest in dirt riding.

And the only way to answer that question is to pick on up and ride it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it.

29ers sell very quickly and hold their value a little better 26" bikes.

I like endos

amusingly...

I don't know where they're selling all the 29er's as it isn't here in the NW either. None of the GF shops around here are stocking them.

You may ask one of your local shops if they'll bring one in for you to try. I know a shop near me was willing to get one for me to see if it fit as long as I was about 80% sure I'd buy it.

Cheers!
    -Ian
    Several Shops (read: rougly 50% of them) in the Lincoln, Nebraska Area stock 29ers and are huge proponents. In the midwest. Funny.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Dec 2003
    You can't swing a dead cat here in NoVA without knocking over a row of 29ers. That said, I couldn't find any shops carrying them (admittedly, I didn't look too hard before ordering a Dos Niner frame from Speedgoat), and most every 29er rider I know ordered their frame. I guess it's one of those things where the LBS can't afford to keep them lying around, but are willing to work with you to order through their QBP account?

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave.
    I'm from Tampa, Florida and I have yet to see a 29er in a LBS (perhaps they are there now, but when I made calls around before buying my first, I got negative answers from each LBS). So, yeah, I bought my first 29er on a "leap of faith" and have since bought another without trying-before-buying.

Prior to that, 2 of my previous 26" inch bikes were bought sight-unseen. IMO, its too much of a hassle to deal with the LBS when looking for a niche type product. That might not be the case in other places ... for example, if I had a shop like "The Path" in California to deal with, I'd be there all the time ... but where I live its much easier to get ahold of stuff via the keyboard/phone.
    The bike shop in Carrolwood usually has them in stock, that is where I rode my first 29'er at.

Members who have read this thread: 0