Building a new 29er - need disc brake advice- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

New question here. Building a new 29er - need disc brake advice

Hey all - I'm building up a new custom steel 29er and will be running disc brakes. I currently run Avid Juicy 7's on another bike and while I like 'em they make some funky noises (I've been told the noise issue is common). My question is this - I'm thinking about trying the Hope minis out and was wondering if I'd be able to use the avid disks in the Hope brakes should the need arise (or the Hope discs in the avid calipers - I swap wheels around sometimes). Or would I really need to swap over the rotors for each particular brake system? Lastly, what are peoples experiences with the Hope brakes? Durable? Powerful? Maintenance issues? Good lever "feel"? Thanks for any help you can give me. I'll post pics when the bike is complete. Now I just have to pick the color......

ICORR - FORC
    I'm not crazy about moving wheels between different brake calipers, even of the same model. I have done this in the past and it seemed like my brake performance suffered. Kinda like a new set of brakes, you need that break-in time to get them to work sweet. I think the pads like to be matched to the rotor they break-in on. When I swapped wheels several times the pads got glazed and didn't work as well. As far as Hopes go, I like 'em, but have mostly Avids, can't get over the ease of set up and maintenance.

mtbr member
    If you swap wheels, you will more than likely have to re-align your calipers, unless you are using identical hubs. If you have two different brands of hubs, the rotors will never line up with the caliper the same. I just tried this with a King ISO hub and a Hope Pro2 hub. They both had the same rotor (Magura 180mm) but they lined up completely differently with the caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesRfun
    Hey all - I'm building up a new custom steel 29er and will be running disc brakes. I currently run Avid Juicy 7's on another bike and while I like 'em they make some funky noises (I've been told the noise issue is common). My question is this - I'm thinking about trying the Hope minis out and was wondering if I'd be able to use the avid disks in the Hope brakes should the need arise (or the Hope discs in the avid calipers - I swap wheels around sometimes). Or would I really need to swap over the rotors for each particular brake system? Lastly, what are peoples experiences with the Hope brakes? Durable? Powerful? Maintenance issues? Good lever "feel"? Thanks for any help you can give me. I'll post pics when the bike is complete. Now I just have to pick the color......

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    If you have two different brands of hubs, the rotors will never line up with the caliper the same.
    Unless you do something like ... spacing them to the same point for the caliper alignment. That would be as easy as using washers on either the back side of the rotor or on the caliper mounts. I've been doing that on motorcycle wheels for years. Get it within 1-2mm and you'll be golden.

Members who have read this thread: 0