Budget'ish New Spearfish 2 weight reduction plan 2012- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Budget'ish New Spearfish 2 weight reduction plan 2012

Thought I would just start a new post with what I have been doing with my Spearfish to keep the weight down. Mine started much heavier than most seem to at 28lb dead even.

Shortly after bringing her home.

After going tubeless.

Change to Eggbeater pedals from the cheap SPD's I had took it to 27lb 1oz

Today...

26lb 9oz

Salsa Spearfish 2 Medium
    Tubeless (yeah I changed the rear tire to an SB8, future will be Racing Ralphs)
    Eggbeater 2 pedals (new to me, still getting used to them)
    Niner carbon flat bar (favorite bar at the moment, had it on the last two bikes)
    Raceface Evolve 90mm stem (stock 100mm, was too long to me)
    SRAM locking foam grips

Latest pics after a good wash after todays ride...

Little rash after a close encounter with a tree that would not move... Too bad they are brand new.

Looking to get a setback seat post but otherwise I couldn't be happier, but I will stay change a bunch of stuff.

mtbr member
    Double post

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good job,I too have the SB8 on the rear of my SF I'M using it till I get a RR also. I see that you have a scale like mine, a fish scale ;} if you are going to sell your seat post let me know I want it I put a message on the Spearfish Facebook page about looking for one. it is lighter than the Salsa carbon post.
    Dino.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Good job,I too have the SB8 on the rear of my SF I'M using it till I get a RR also. I see that you have a scale like mine, a fish scale ;} if you are going to sell your seat post let me know I want it I put a message on the Spearfish Facebook page about looking for one. it is lighter than the Salsa carbon post.
    Dino.
    Yep I will be selling it trying to find a lightweight setback post.

mtbr member
    Cool bike!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v4kpss

mtbr member
    Thanks! Bike is an all-out blast to ride. It really is the poor mans race bike. But it is also a blast to bomb with. Of course it isn't a WFO or Stumpy FSR in the plushness category but it really does a great job at smoothing out the really rough stuff and I've done some 3' drops with it and as long as you have the rear shock pressure right it really can tackle anything I used to throw at my WFO while weighing 5lbs less and costing over a thousand less as well. I'm not saying this is even the same category as a true AM machine but it really can hold its own on any trail.

For me though it's all about the speed. On my local trails I have set my fastest lap times on this bike compared to every other bike I have every had (HT,FS, 26er, 29er).

I am over having 140mm of 29er travel now and realize that this bike really does offer everything you NEED and nothing you don't. I am really thinking about going with 1x10 in the future as its just so fast on the climbs I can stay in the big ring on almost every climb and I could stay in the big ring on everything if I get out of the saddle and really crank on it. But I just am not fit enough with a 39t ring to do that... Yet.

Trail Junkie
    Awesome man, glad you like, and keep on riding! Best thing to do is to replace the parts on it with upgrades as the parts wear out, it will slowly breath new life back into the bike as it gets older!

I did that route with the grips..I use to religiously use ESI grips because of the weight, but after a while (a few years later) I got tired of replacing grips because of chunks taken out of them, and replaced them with a heavier, more durable, more comfortable Ergon GX/GS/GP and it changed how i felt and my bike felt when I rode.....well worth the weight penalty!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

shut up legs

Thomson 31.6 layback, black 410mm

$70 plus shipping..it has some wear on the bottom but otherwise is in good shape...comes with bag...pm me foe pics or hit me up on the FB SF page @...https://www.facebook.com/groups/255552797848022/
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Love the color. Looks like a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK View Post
    $70 plus shipping..it has some wear on the bottom but otherwise is in good shape...comes with bag...pm me foe pics or hit me up on the FB SF page @...https://www.facebook.com/groups/255552797848022/
    Sorry $70 for what? I missed it somewhere PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    T..... I am really thinking about going with 1x10 in the future as its just so fast on the climbs I can stay in the big ring on almost every climb and I could stay in the big ring on everything if I get out of the saddle and really crank on it. But I just am not fit enough with a 39t ring to do that... Yet.
    How about a 32t front ring with a 1 x 10?
    More clearance, and maybe just enough mommy gear for your climbing?

As a test, figure out what that gearing would be with your little chainring and do some riding to see if it's enough for climbing. Then, check the high gear ratio the same way. Sheldons gear calculator is an easy way to know what ratios you have now, and what you would get with a 1x10 using different front rings.

I lost 14oz when I ditched my front triple and it was cheaper than any other weight loss option.

mtbr member
    Did you do a single with a chain guide like a Paul's guide?

mtbr member
    Subspd, I use the MRP guide, and it has worked flawlessly.

You should check in on the 1x9 thread and read some of the other options and maybe get some advice for your situation.

Here's the gear calculator I used to help understand what the change would mean to my bike:
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

When I went from a "27 speed" bike to a 9 speed, I only lost the bottom two and top two gears--the rest were redundant. I will say if I was someone who hated to stand once in a while on the steepest pitches, I wouldn't be happy losing those two lowest gears.

As far as the upper two gears, that was a no brainer. If I'm going fast enough in the mountains to use those gears, it's my big chance to coast and enjoy the ride.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Very nice bike! love the color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That guy (ss29er)over on the Salsa forum has the SF2 set-up 1x10 and also he put Orange cables & lines on his bike it looks good!... He posted it 4 weeks ago and said he was wating for a chain guide you should pm him and find out what he used and how he likes it.

Members who have read this thread: 0