Budget Wheelset...1800gm range- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Budget Wheelset...1800gm range

Howdy. Just tore down my Marin Alpine Trail 29er to weigh my tires and decided to strip the wheels down and weigh them. 2550 combined!

Just bought the bike last Friday and could feel every friggin ounce when climbing just cruising around Big Bear on paved trails with my friends who just do road trails. I'm used to 27ish total bike weight with FS on 26 inch. I'm more of a climber than descender. Mostly fire road type stuff with loose over packed (Typical California Desert stuff).

So what's a decent 29er wheelset that won't break the bank that will drop a quick 2lbs off of this beast?

Former Bike Wrench
    Well 1800 grams is a pretty light 29er wheelset so I don't know what defines budget for you. You can get a Stans NoTube wheelset for under $500 shipped that is easily under 1800 grams but in the $200-$300 range 2000 grams is a more realistic goal.

mtbr member
    How about setting the goal at $450~600. Apologies for not setting a dollar amount...I'd prefer to go "tubed".

Thx MTBR72

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can't really beat a Stan's NoTube wheelset (can you run a tube) for the price. Alternatively, you can try to spec a custom wheelset from http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php and/or OrionCycles ([email protected]).

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusDelirious
    How about setting the goal at $450~600. Apologies for not setting a dollar amount...I'd prefer to go "tubed".

Thx MTBR72
    NoTube rims work fine with tubes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Can't really beat a Stan's NoTube wheelset (can you run a tube) for the price. Alternatively, you can try to spec a custom wheelset from http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php and/or OrionCycles ([email protected]).
    Thanks...I bought a road wheelset from Universal late last year and the first thing the rear wheel did was to "relieve" itself...Ping, pong, ting!....was not too pleased and not in the mood to send it back. Tensioned it back up myself and made do. I'm sure I can throw that back at them and get a discount which I'm actually leaning towards when I decide to throw down the mula. Still, I'd like to see what's out there based on MTBR user suggestions.

The factory wheels spec'd on the Marin are Alex TD20 rims, 2.00mm straight gauge stainless spokes and Formula hubs. Most likely brass nipples...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sun Ringle Disc O Flea

I don't think you can beat the Sun Ringle Disc O Flea @ under 1800 grams for the price: it lists at $499 but you can find it much cheaper--I got mine from Cambria Bike on sale for $349.
    http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpag...elsets/xc.php5

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hmm... i went hope pro II and mavic tn-719 rims, for slightly above 1800g and right around 600 retail i guess the ringle hubs are quite nice though especially on a budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My back up wheels are LX hubs laced to Sun EQ21 rims with DT Revolutions and brass nipples. They are less than 1800g. Your local wheelbuilder could hook you up well below your budget with something like that.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys/gals...keep em' coming. I don't think 1800 is too much too ask so all of your suggestions so far are great. I hadn't considered going tubeless thus far so the Stans are a welcome addition to this thread.

mtbr member
    You are smoking dope unless you want to go with every other spoke on each wheel. Weight, riding style, etc.? There are good road wheelsets that weigh 1800g. What tyres are you running?
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Bontragers are a good choice but 1800 grams might be wishful thinking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys/gals...keep em' coming. I don't think 1800 is too much too ask so all of your suggestions so far are great. I hadn't considered going tubeless thus far so the Stans are a welcome addition to this thread.
    I just bought a pair of the Stans ZTR Arch 29er wheels from
    http://www.918xc.com/products/Stans_...ck-191-15.html
    They weigh 1750 grams on my digital scale

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    You are smoking dope unless you want to go with every other spoke on each wheel. Weight, riding style, etc.? There are good road wheelsets that weigh 1800g. What tyres are you running?
    Nope, a 1800 gram wheelset is possible...With Stans NoTubes rims, using 32 DB spokes, 3x, alloy nipples, and their house brand hubs the lightweight 355 29er rim are 1650 grams...using the heavier duty Arch they are 1750 grams. Even using the Flows only come out at 1880 grams

All are under $500

Rider and Wrench
    The Hope Pro II/stans is a nice wheelset (arch/Flow) and depends on the spoke/nipple combo but easy to hit the 1800 mark. I run these on one bike and run a set of the XT 29er wheelset and they are in the 1880g range and can be had for $350-400 shipped- I am very happy with them after 4-5 months on them-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    No dope being smoked as others have already pointed out some decent wheel sets. I think 1800 is a good target. Maybe it doesn't fall into budget territory, but again, many others have already pointed out some good combos. Maybe going a Stans no tubes route is the cheapest way to go? I've never gone tubeless road or mtb so maybe it's time to give it a try. Like I said earlier, I can feel every extra ounce right now and I'm not diggin it...I like the 29er geometry but climbing is a serious difference from what I'm used to.

I've already given my riding style...California fire roads. Loose over hard. Climbing is more important than descending. Where I ride there are always people coming up and I'm not interested in being a dick and mowing people down. Climbing is my forte...got it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    a high-volume wheelbuilder will sell you well-built Stan's Arch rims on hope pro II's for $420-440 w/ butted DT spokes. Depending on nipple choice, etc this will hit your target and avoid the relatively unproven ZTR hubset (asian catalog I believe). plus you save even more weight w/ a truly tubeless-ready rim as opposed to having to install a rim strip on a bonty or other rim.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    a high-volume wheelbuilder will sell you well-built Stan's Arch rims on hope pro II's for $420-440 w/ butted DT spokes. Depending on nipple choice, etc this will hit your target and avoid the relatively unproven ZTR hubset (asian catalog I believe). plus you save even more weight w/ a truly tubeless-ready rim as opposed to having to install a rim strip on a bonty or other rim.
    Name one!! I'd be very interested in that set for that price...because $600 seems to be about the going rate for that combo.

mtbr member
    Howdy. Just tore down my Marin Alpine Trail 29er to weigh my tires and decided to strip the wheels down and weigh them. 2550 combined!

Just bought the bike last Friday and could feel every friggin ounce when climbing just cruising around Big Bear on paved trails with my friends who just do road trails. I'm used to 27ish total bike weight with FS on 26 inch. I'm more of a climber than descender. Mostly fire road type stuff with loose over packed (Typical California Desert stuff).

So what's a decent 29er wheelset that won't break the bank that will drop a quick 2lbs off of this beast?

I just rode Big Bear this last weekend on my Ti Hardtail with Stans 355s. For trails like 2n10, 2n08, E01 and such, 355s or Arches with ztrs are the way to go if you are on a budget. If you have the dough go DTs swiss, I9s and Kings. I ran hopes for a while and they are solid hubs but IMO they were just too loud. There are a ton of place to get stans but if you are in Cali., you can try R2technik.com
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

Jul 2009

29'' Vuelta Team SL: Disc Brake Wheel Set

These people that say you are crazy for looking for 1800 are crazy.
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1293
    These weight in right at 1800g for the set. They are $299.00 Shipped. Budget and light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticdan
    These people that say you are crazy for looking for 1800 are crazy.
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1293
    These weight in right at 1800g for the set. They are $299.00 Shipped. Budget and light.

28 spoke count F&R would scare me away from them, but then again, I've never been called a lightweight either. To each his own, just thought I'd point that out.

Always Learning

1650g for the American Classic MTB disc 29"er wheelset. That would shave 2.09 lbs off. I don't know what the going rate is for these wheels new, but bargain eBay shopping may turn up something in the $350 - 500 range. Looks like Beyond has them for $559. They are excellent climbing wheels.

BB

Rider and Wrench
    I am suprised that there is a debate as to if there is a 1800g "range" wheelset out there- there are actually quite a few as many of the posts have shown- and many that offer decent durability for xc/trail riding. I have had AC 29ers that as stated were 1650g on my own scale and XT 29ers that were around !~1860g real world (along with a set of Stans Arch w/Hope pro II's that I have failed to actually weigh with no rotors/casette etc... but below ~1850g estimated).

Budget is another story as we all have a different threshold- I would say (feel free to correct me...) With new as a benchmark below ~$400 is where the herd gets thinned out with ~$400 to ~$600 offering a large variety of choices- going above ~$600 you get into a whole relm of stuff where the sky is the limit.

The sub ~$400 wheels are more governed by a strength vs weight ratio (flex etc...) and like all parts fall into the strong/light/cheap pick two... area. As you climb the ladder you start to seperate a "hand built" wheelset which don't lose weight but can offer more durability and strength. For the most part a Handbuilt wheelset in this price range would offer lower end parts and thus more weight though there are always exceptions and deals to be had....

The other variable is online vs lbs... retail is going to put almost none of the wheelsets below the ~$500 mark in the ~1800g range. Vs online high volume wheel builders or [email protected] sellers are going to offer alot....
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Professional Crastinator
    I combined the WTB LaserDisc Lite w/ the Sun-Ringle' EQ23 - light, cheap, hasn't broken yet: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=EQ23

...and I've heard a lot of poo-pooing about alloy nipples, but if the spoke is threaded all the way through them, you have little to fear.

-F

ballbuster

Alloy nipples are fine

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    I combined the WTB LaserDisc Lite w/ the Sun-Ringle' EQ23 - light, cheap, hasn't broken yet: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=EQ23

...and I've heard a lot of poo-pooing about alloy nipples, but if the spoke is threaded all the way through them, you have little to fear.

-F
    Every wheelset I built has had them. I don't ride super hard, but I'm 205# these days and rail rocky singletrack at speed. I very rarely break nipples.... in fact, I think the last ones I broke were at May By The Bay in 2005 or 06 at Annadel.

I typically go for light-ish builds with DT Swiss Comp 14/15 spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The non-professional wheel builders I know don't like using alloy nips because they are too hard to work with (easy to round off amongst other things)

Having said that, most professional builders I've noticed tend to use alloy.

Members who have read this thread: 0