Budget 29er Build Kit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Budget 29er Build Kit

I just bought a Niner Air 9 but I am broke....
    Still, I want to build it up.

I am a guy have mid/high end parts in mind. I currently have the One 9 build with Niner Carbon fork, 240s ZTR 355, Formula K24, Chris King Headset, Hope Ceramic BB, etc, etc...you get the point.

However, I am looking forward to build this Niner up on a budget. That means no Chris King or 240s, no XTR, no Fox F29 FIT
    Shimano XT hubs are fine.
    Here are parts I already have at home: disc brakes, chain, front derailleur, shifters, handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle, and skewers.

Missing:
    - Fork
    - Wheelset and tires
    - Crankset
    - Cassette
    - Rear Derailleur
    - Headset

If anyone has any idea for parts suggestion, please help out. I originally planned on $500 for all those missing parts but I know it won't work out. So I have up my budget is $800 shipped. Used parts are fine with me.

This is what I have in mind:
    RockShox Reba 29er - used
    Deore WTB with Conti tires wheelset - $200 on eBay
    Shimano XT Crankset, XT, RD - $270 from Performance
    Headset...no idea

I never wanted Deore hubs, XT will be fine but Deore? I looked at these only because of the price. They are really not worth it IMO. If anyone have other suggestions, please advise.
    I don't really want XT grade for this build. SLX/LX would be fine except I can't find any one sale. Most shops have XT on sale making them cheaper then SLX/LX. If someone can find me SLX/LX combo, let me know.

I also try sites where they sell build kits like pricepoint or jensonusa. The problem is I don't need half of the kit (i.e. brakes, shifters) but its mandatory in the kit. Therefore I decided to shop it another way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    keep your eyes out, I have seen wheelsets on craigslist for 29ers go for around 200 one with dt swiss hubs even. (may have been w/ o tires though). Patience is the key to budget build.
    Or in my case, sell of extras and expand your budget.

Really I am that slow

been real impressed

with the slx groupo across the board.... and some of that stuff is going for real cheap on ebay... Cane creek s-3 is a good headset for not alot as well...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    with the slx groupo across the board.... and some of that stuff is going for real cheap on ebay... Cane creek s-3 is a good headset for not alot as well...
    plus it's pretty light

mtbr member
    Check out Chain Reaction Cycles. They have for example a SLX M660 crankset for $123 (US). I've recently bought a whole group set from them and saved myself hundreds of dollars. For orders over about $250 shipping is free.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IMO, Deore hubs and WTB SpeedDisc rims for $200 is too expensive. I'd suggest either going the CL route for a lightly used higher-end wheelset, or upping your budget a little and going for something like XT hubs/Mavic 317 or XT/Mavic TN719. I got a set of XT/TN719s from bicycle wheel warehouse for about $230 or so last year.

Agree with the CC S-3 headset.
    XT crank? You can regularly find SLX cranksets for $140 online. And Ebay is filled with LX cranksets for $99 these days.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I recenty bought a bike with a full SLX group and have to echo the comments here. Really great performance in the limited time I've had on it. I've seen build kits with and without brakes at Blue Sky: http://www.blueskycycling.com/cat-build-kit.htm

mtbr member
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-LX-M582-175mm-Mountain-Bike-Crank-Crankset-M580_W0QQitemZ200437505349QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycli ng_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eab019d45" target="_blank">LX crankset</a>

mtbr member
    You will not be happy with the Deore/WTB wheels. They will probably weigh in around 2200 grams. That's the worst place to go cheap. As has been posted above take a look at BWW. I would go for XT centerlock hubs (better engagement) with Mavic Tn719's. They are a far better choice

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Buy a used bike with all the stuff already on it then sell the frame.

mtbr member
    you can buy the bikesdirect bike for 599 - motobecane - move everything over then sell off the frame and remaning parts...
    That's what I'm considering doing....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have thought of getting wheelset at CL. But that limits to local only and 29er is kind of new in the market so there aren't that much used parts around yet. I found one but its a SS specify wheelset. Its very common for 29er people riding SS.

Cane Creek headset sounds like a good idea. Weight isn't too much of a concern. I just need the headset to last long. I had a FSA before and it kept dying out. It also always comes loose. Got a Hope and fixed the issue.

I would really prefer finding most parts in one online shop for drivetain instead of bits and pieces from eBay. Shipping will end up costing a lot and I don't want used drivetain. ChainReactionCycles is a great idea, I will keep my eyes out on that. However, I am still tempted at PerformanceBike with their sales going on this weekend. The only problem is they only have XT and XTR parts, nothing low end. Performance is also free shipping and free pickup. CRC will cost tax and duties for import.

I see a lot of comments about the Deore wheelset. Yes, its really not worth it, its just cheap. I really prefer XT on hubs. I have used both and Deore die out on me really quick. I don't need super good bearings for this budget but I need things that last long. I know Deore will last me probably less then a season. XT/TN719 is a great idea.

BikeDirect for a Motobecane...I thought of that before I posted as well. But how am I suppose to sell the Motobecane frame? Will anyone buy it? I mean if someone is going to build a bike, they want a decent frame right? Else might as well get a complete bike. Will anyone purchase a Motobecane frame for a project?

AZ
    banned
    You will not have any prob. selling the Moto frame if your willing to let it go cheap IMHO .

mtbr member
    If you are patient, Mike sells off used and over stock hubs, rims, wheel sets and other odds and ends on this site http://bigwheeldeals.blogspot.com/.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    buy used wheels w/ nice hubs & then piece the rest into your budget.
    best deal on fork is rst m-29 w/ chromo frame off bike island. Find someone to combo the deal @$350 shipped w/ you and you get a stud fork for $200. Theres a big thread on this combo & people love it.

If you don't need a sus fork then just get a salsa fork for $50, you can sale it down the road if you need a sus fork.

That would leave you with $400 for the rest of the stuff that you need which should be plenty.

A year from now if you have $400 for upgrades then you don't have to replace crap hubs & other junk. Instead drop $100 on new rings/cassette & spend that $300 on a good fork.

Then drop $250 on deore crank/cassette/shifters

That leaves you with $150 for tires.

Now, here is what your old plan looked like vs this one.

your plan-weighs 3 pounds more & will cost you over $150 more in parts next year(cassettes,rings,shock rebuild,hubs,spokes)

good plan-3 pounds less & all you have to replace the next year is a set of cassettes & rings for $100 or so.

Next year you take your $500 budget, sale your salsa fork to make it $550, spend $100 on rings/cassette & buy a stud fork.

mtbr member
    i got some truvative cranks check it out...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=45724&cat=29

Members who have read this thread: 0