Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy, Build Pics and Weights!

XL Tallboy in Matte. I will be building her this weekend with a mix of XO/XTR, and bontrager parts with Edge wheels. I'll post more when she's built! I'll post weights as well.

Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!-tallboy.jpg
    Last edited by af73; 02-07-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added new information

err, 27.5+
    FU lucky bastid

My Brown Santa only gave me a hardtail frame

Definitely post up on build once you get to it
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I was on Brown Santa's Nice list!

Haha, I am soooo psyched, I'll definitely take pics and weights and post a complete once I've got it together!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Congrats! Have fun riding it.

Help I've Fallen
    Sweet I thought of one of these than bought an ibis. Let us know how the ride is I may have to get one.
    016 Santa Cruz Hightower
    2017 Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    2017 Specialized Epic Pro
    2013 SIR 9 Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Does 'Brown Santa' sound wrong to anyone else?

banned
    that is a sweet looking frame. I'm no santa cruz fanboy but I have to give them credit for this one, if it rides as good as it looks, they have a winner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The build continues...

Weighed the XL frame, with headset cups pressed in and seat collar, 5.26 pounds.
    Build with Edge wheels, mix of XTR, X-9, Magura, Bontrager...uncut steerer, 24.36 pounds

Yes, I know the seatpost is low, I'm waiting for a spacer to arrive, I figure the weight will remain the same after the steerer tube is cut down. Full pics with a nice digi when I get the spacer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!-tallboy1.jpg  

Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!-tallboy3.jpg  

Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!-tallboy2.jpg  

Brown Santa brought me a Tallboy!-tallboy6.jpg  

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Nice frame, but is "brown santa?" ...as in off-road....brown dirt or?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Super nice looking ride. Hope the brown santa will drop one of those for me at the lbs.

Did you go with triple gears on the front? Did you consider or research a two sprocket front system? Do you know how a two sprocket would fit on the TB?

mtbr member
    very nice, congrats. Go get that thing dirty and let us know if it rides as good as it looks. I'm particularly interested if the rear triangle is stiff.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 Cídale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

thanks!

Natedogz: Brown Santa, as in UPS. They were very good to me with this frame!

Got_beer: Per Santa Cruz's website the Tallboy is compatible with XX. Here's their response:
    "Yes, but you must use the standard Q-factor version of the cranks (166mm). There is chainring clearance with the 26/39 tooth and 28/42 tooth chainring sets, but the 30/45 will most likely have interference issues."

I'd like to get XX eventually but I'll have to save up for it. I'm sure it will get it under 24 pounds. I'll post more pics when It's set up just right.

mtbr member
    Dude...Sweet. Killer build. Which Edge rims did you settle on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I need some dirt...

For sure bigdrunk, It's still a bit snowy out here but I plan on taking it out on some lower bench trails in Salt Lake. I'm interested in that rear triangle stiffness as well! I'lll post more when I get more time on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Edge

I got the edge xc clinchers, 32 hole. They are extremely stiff and light, I've been really pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    nice weight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle
    Does 'Brown Santa' sound wrong to anyone else?
    My 2 year old nephew loves it when "Brown Santa" drops off goodies, it just so happens that sometimes the driver is actually an african amercian man, that is a bit awkward.

I hope the drivers know that is a nickname for them or that guy hates me.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

mtbr member
    OK seriously, that's one sweet a$$ ride and I am truly jealous

Got to ask though.....what type of riding will you be doing with it? Will it be strictly a race machine or will you be throwing it about the trails as a regular trail bike? Had to ask as although I seriously think these are the sweetest FS 29er out, I just can't get around the carbon fact and what it'd look like with my riding and "misses" or what potential damamge a decent scratch like what I put on my Alu frame would do to the carbons strength and integrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    OK seriously, that's one sweet a$$ ride and I am truly jealous

Got to ask though.....what type of riding will you be doing with it? Will it be strictly a race machine or will you be throwing it about the trails as a regular trail bike? Had to ask as although I seriously think these are the sweetest FS 29er out, I just can't get around the carbon fact and what it'd look like with my riding and "misses" or what potential damamge a decent scratch like what I put on my Alu frame would do to the carbons strength and integrity.

I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg, but the bike didn't even get a scratch.

The carbon is way more durable than most people think.

San Diego County
    I sold both of my children this weekend and still can't afford the Tallboy/Edge combo. Anyone wanna buy a lightly used wife? No, sorry...the dog's not for sale.
    Now before social services shows up with an arrest warrant, I was kidding. Nice bike. With 2 kids in college it looks like next year (if I'm lucky) for my new bike.
    Last edited by Duzitall; 02-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Well at least you've got your priorities right LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    I sold both of my children this weekend and still can't afford the Tallboy/Edge combo. Anyone wanna buy a lightly used wife? No, sorry...the dog's not for sale.
    Now before social services shows up with an arrest warrant, I was kidding. Nice bike. With 2 kids in college it looks like next year (if I'm lucky) for my new bike.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    i just received my TB, unfortunately havent had a chance to post pics yet. Once you see this bike in person I can assure you all questions about strength and integrity will be answered. The TB really is a work of art and the quietest damn bike i've ever ridden. Its ashame there not more out there for people to see, luckily spring is getting closer!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Af73 and JJcools....thanks....shoulda known it was the guys who deliver lots of highly anticipated parts. lol
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dpastore22
    i just received my TB, unfortunately havent had a chance to post pics yet. Once you see this bike in person I can assure you all questions about strength and integrity will be answered. The TB really is a work of art and the quietest damn bike i've ever ridden. Its ashame there not more out there for people to see, luckily spring is getting closer!

I completely agree.... My Tallboy built up to 26 even pounds with an XTR group, 120mm Fox, Elixr CR's w/185 rotors f/r, I9's laced to ARCH's and a KS i950r adjustable seatpost because my Easton was cracked.

When the replacement arrives it will knock a POUND off the total weight.

- And a word for stiffness front & rear: Plenty.

jms
    mtbr member

This makes a great quote

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.
    Hope you don't mind the editing, this makes a great quote.

Seriously, Ouch and good luck with your rehab.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Hope you don't mind the editing, this makes a great quote.

Seriously, Ouch and good luck with your rehab.

I like it.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    OK, OK, but did you break the fall for the bike with new bike owner syndrome? Hope you heal up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg, but the bike didn't even get a scratch.

The carbon is way more durable than most people think.
    Interested in hearing how it pedals and rides compared to your previous RIP9.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    I completely agree.... My Tallboy built up to 26 even pounds with an XTR group, 120mm Fox, Elixr CR's w/185 rotors f/r, I9's laced to ARCH's and a KS i950r adjustable seatpost because my Easton was cracked.

When the replacement arrives it will knock a POUND off the total weight.

- And a word for stiffness front & rear: Plenty.

Superflying on Haven
    Once you see this bike in person I can assure you all questions about strength and integrity will be answered.
    I agree 110 %. When looking at the pictures I had some concerns about the carbon strenght but last weekend I saw the frame at my lbs and it felt amazingly solid and strong. Aluminium frame almost looked weak compare to it... and it is SO feather light.

I have the feeling my RIP9 is a heavy pig now and I can't get that frame out of my head since... I gotta find a way to get it wihout being spanked to death by my wife

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How does the TB compare in price to the SF100? I know it depends on how you build up the TB, but what did you guys spend on your TB's? Thanks
    Pat

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Haha...

I forgot how entertaining the Mtbr.com forums can be, thanks for the humor and fun guys!

Lynx: I live in SLC, Utah so it'll be my everything bike. I race endurance and local XC races so I'll rock it for that, but I'll be riding it almost every day, from long Wasatch rides to rough and rock Moab rides. I won't be babying it either! The Santa Cruz blog has video of their sponsored 4x rider abusing the Tallboy on some gnarly trail sections...jumps, rocks, dropoffs, and berms...and this is posted on the SC site! I have not doubt it will be just as stiff as can be!

Now, I'm just waiting on a seatpost spacer to arrive in the mail and I'm good to go! Forcast is 48 degrees and sunny on Presidents Day so I'll have dirt (mud) on it by then!

Pat: I'm not sure, I transferred the parts over from my Ellsworth Evolve that I had built up. I work in the industry so my build price is different from others build prices. I am not sure that the SF100 comes in a frame only option, not to mention the fork requirements of the G2 geometry. You can definitely get away with a lower priced complete bike by getting the Tallboy frame and piecing together a build suited to your budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Interested in hearing how it pedals and rides compared to your previous RIP9.

Ya know, the draw of the RIP was/is the fact (IMO) that it pedals a lot like the many VPP bikes I've had previously and I've had a bunch. What drove me away initially was 1) Poor bearing life/high maint. 2) My fit - At 6'5" I rode Lrg. frames because I liked their geo. vs. XLrg geo. So Niner came around and I wanted something new/different and all signs pointed to their design riding in many way's just like the VPP feel that I love.

I am expecting big things from this Tallboy....It's 1) VERY quiet, 2) Build/Bearing execution looks to be very well thought out now. It has been great so far and I'm not babying the thing, it's seen some air time and technical lines/trails and been very confidence inspiring so far.

- My RIP is not going anywhere, it will have it's purpose like Tahoe/Northstar, Downieville, Vancouver and some Oregon trails. Can't wait to build it into a trail-plowing machine.

Your Best Friend
    af73: What class do you race in the I-cup, assuming you do. I'll be glad to have another FS 29er out there. Proving it can be done.

DG5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Do you have any pics ?
    I love my bike.

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    Do you have any pics ?
    Sure, but you have to fill out a credit application and have a credit score over 600

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I want one.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, very interesting that you're gona keep the RIP. Did you break your original RIP9 then and get a new hydro formed replacement? If you didn't and still have the original one I got to ask , how in the heck could you go from the uber stiff Tallboy back to the noodly RIP9? I know you've got a good bit of weight on me and ride harsher places and prob push it harsher and I have issues with how it doesn't track because of frame flex.

Ya know, the draw of the RIP was/is the fact (IMO) that it pedals a lot like the many VPP bikes I've had previously and I've had a bunch. What drove me away initially was 1) Poor bearing life/high maint. 2) My fit - At 6'5" I rode Lrg. frames because I liked their geo. vs. XLrg geo. So Niner came around and I wanted something new/different and all signs pointed to their design riding in many way's just like the VPP feel that I love.

I am expecting big things from this Tallboy....It's 1) VERY quiet, 2) Build/Bearing execution looks to be very well thought out now. It has been great so far and I'm not babying the thing, it's seen some air time and technical lines/trails and been very confidence inspiring so far.

- My RIP is not going anywhere, it will have it's purpose like Tahoe/Northstar, Downieville, Vancouver and some Oregon trails. Can't wait to build it into a trail-plowing machine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the info, very interesting that you're gona keep the RIP. Did you break your original RIP9 then and get a new hydro formed replacement? If you didn't and still have the original one I got to ask , how in the heck could you go from the uber stiff Tallboy back to the noodly RIP9? I know you've got a good bit of weight on me and ride harsher places and prob push it harsher and I have issues with how it doesn't track because of frame flex.
    Yes, my orig. front triangle broke after a year and a half and then the rear broke half a year later. CS was (as many know) on-the-spot and they put me into an 09'.

It's a keeper.

- Are you calling me fat LyNx? Shheeeeesh! I'm only 2-bill's!! But really, the 09's & Tallboy are comparable in stiffness/tracking. Going to be 2 very fun bikes to ride for many years......

mtbr member
    I'm wishing I had your sort of luck, unfortunately mine only broke once in the rear tri and then my riding dropped by over 1/2, so haven't been able to stress the new one.

Dude, if I remember right you're built like a friking body builder, muscles everywhere and you're still only 2 bills and yeah that's still 30lbs ya got on me
    Yes, my orig. front triangle broke after a year and a half and then the rear broke half a year later. CS was (as many know) on-the-spot and they put me into an 09'.

It's a keeper.

- Are you calling me fat LyNx? Shheeeeesh! I'm only 2-bill's!! But really, the 09's & Tallboy are comparable in stiffness/tracking. Going to be 2 very fun bikes to ride for many years......

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Silentfoe
    I'll be racing Sport with hopes to move up, we'll see how the competition goes. I'm not one to sandbag, that's for sure! I'm better at the endurance events so I'm really excited to see how she does at the PCPP, 12 Hours of Sundance, 24 Hours of Moab, and the Mt. Ogden 50k! What are you racing this year and what class?

Your Best Friend
    I'll see you at every one of those races. I'm limiting the Icup schedule this year compared to last so that I can concentrate more on endurance. I'm in the 30-34 Sport class.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    You should get one of those DT Swiss carbon suspension forks to go with that build - carbon overload!

banned
    Sep 2007
    I demo'd a XL Tallboy yesterday, rode it exclusively on epic dirt conditions on single track 2 days after the rain. Loved everything about the bike, except the rear end was exhibiting flex and poor tracking on off camber rain ruts composed of soaked and drying decomposed granite, ie epic traction issues. At this point, weighing 240 pounds wet, I was no able to isolate where the flex was coming from, the Mavic 719s on a Chub front hub with a DT Swiss 340 in the rear with 10mm through axle doing duty, or if it was the rear triangle causing the motion.

Just saying... Compared to the 2010 RIP I had, and yes, that is a REAL 29'er AM bike, I never once noticed flex in the RIP. I should add, though, the RIP was an 8 pound frame in XL. XC guys can get away with a bit of flex, seems to come with the territory on XC bikes, being weight weenie ish and lasting a season or two before failure.

mtbr member
    Say it aint so Sounds exactly like the flex/feeling the old RIP9s exhibit. Compared to the odl RIP9 how's this feeling, is it as bad as it is on the RIP9?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I demo'd a XL Tallboy yesterday, rode it exclusively on epic dirt conditions on single track 2 days after the rain. Loved everything about the bike, except the rear end was exhibiting flex and poor tracking on off camber rain ruts composed of soaked and drying decomposed granite, ie epic traction issues. At this point, weighing 240 pounds wet, I was no able to isolate where the flex was coming from, the Mavic 719s on a Chub front hub with a DT Swiss 340 in the rear with 10mm through axle doing duty, or if it was the rear triangle causing the motion.

Just saying... Compared to the 2010 RIP I had, and yes, that is a REAL 29'er AM bike, I never once noticed flex in the RIP. I should add, though, the RIP was an 8 pound frame in XL. XC guys can get away with a bit of flex, seems to come with the territory on XC bikes, being weight weenie ish and lasting a season or two before failure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

- You do have around 40lbs on me but my Tallboy with an I9 Standard QR out back exhibits nothing you have described feeling. In fact, just the opposite.

Poor spoke tension maybe? Junk Smallblock 8 tires that come on the demo's I've seen?
    Loose pivots from the bike being demo'd by a million people?

**Just read through another thread where you gave a build spec so that takes the tires out of the equation. Does sound like you ran it LIGHT on psi in that rear shock though.....
    Last edited by DMFT; 02-12-2010 at 04:52 PM.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Say it aint so Sounds exactly like the flex/feeling the old RIP9s exhibit. Compared to the odl RIP9 how's this feeling, is it as bad as it is on the RIP9?
    Surprisingly, on the old RIP, the only time I noticed rear flex was when riding granite spines, where the off camber was very steep, but the tires were still grabbing/biting. Never once noticed it riding the exact same local trails I was on with the Tallboy. The 2010 RIP, however, exhibited zero flex that I could detect, and I rode it on anything and everything nasty, parallel ruts, sandstone, chunk. Also keep in mind, on my RIP I run Hadley 72 pt hub with 36 spokes, Dt Swiss Comps, brass nips, and a 620 gram Sun Rhynolite rim, which is a damn strong and impressively stiff rim.

I want to be clear, I'm not for certain if it was the frame or the wheel set causing the flex, I'm just saying, something back there was noticeable in it's flexing and inability to track straight when on some of the steeper off camber fresh rain ruts I rode through. I'd also rate the Maxxis Ignitor as a great tire for around here where I ride. I noticed it was more flexy than either of my RIPS, and about as bad as my old Bionicon Edison LTD single pivot, which was the mutha of all Flexys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Silentfoe: We should do some training rides when it thaw's out a bit more. I'm just finishing the fine touches on the Tallboy, I need a new front brake hose as I knicked it during installation. PM me if you're interested in riding.

Bobbotron: Haha, from what I've heard that fork performs not that awesome, wheras the carbon bits and pieces I have on my bike perform very well. Now if only they made carbon chains....

RandyBoy: I'm no expert but at 185 I'm not exactly a "racerboy" nor a "clydesdale". I've ridden the Gary Fisher Supercaliber for a season and then an Ellsworth Evolve for 2 seasons. I'll post more about how the Tallboy measures up to both of these. The Supercal was a noodle and the Ellsworth felt very solid, albeit at a 2 pounds heavier frame weight.

I'll update as it warms up and I'm able to get out more than just the road!

banned
    Sep 2007
    - You do have around 40lbs on me but my Tallboy with an I9 Standard QR out back exhibits nothing you have described feeling. In fact, just the opposite.

Poor spoke tension maybe? Junk Smallblock 8 tires that come on the demo's I've seen?
    Loose pivots from the bike being demo'd by a million people?

**Just read through another thread where you gave a build spec so that takes the tires out of the equation. Does sound like you ran it LIGHT on psi in that rear shock though.....

I checked looseness of rear axle, which was a RWS 10mm DT Swiss, Air pressure on tires was correct, no wallowing there, was running it locked out, tried a 1 setting locked out on the RP23, and tried the 3 setting also, and 2 seemed to be a great compromise. 5 clicks out from all the way turned in on the dampening speed, ie 3 clicks from all the way open.
    I also checked spoke tension, and plucked, all the notes were spot on on both sides. So that pretty much leaves just the Mavic 719's, or the rear end, or my ass is too big for the bike.

The most impressive thing about this bike is it is as quiet as a SS as far as chain slap sounds go. It is amazingly quiet and stealthy. I'd hate to ruin such a fine bike with Hope hubs on it. Niner needs to step up with at least carbon pivots and rear chain stays to knock off the dB's from chain slap to compete with the Tallboy.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I weigh over 230 and my frame is pretty stiff. I do have a stiff rear wheel and a 10mm axle. My shock settings are 260lb and Propedal on #2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Funny post!

I checked looseness of rear axle, which was a RWS 10mm DT Swiss, Air pressure on tires was correct, no wallowing there, was running it locked out, tried a 1 setting locked out on the RP23, and tried the 3 setting also, and 2 seemed to be a great compromise. 5 clicks out from all the way turned in on the dampening speed, ie 3 clicks from all the way open.
    I also checked spoke tension, and plucked, all the notes were spot on on both sides. So that pretty much leaves just the Mavic 719's, or the rear end, or my ass is too big for the bike.

The most impressive thing about this bike is it is as quiet as a SS as far as chain slap sounds go. It is amazingly quiet and stealthy. I'd hate to ruin such a fine bike with Hope hubs on it. Niner needs to step up with at least carbon pivots and rear chain stays to knock off the dB's from chain slap to compete with the Tallboy.

- I would try using your BURLY rear wheel & pump that shock up to at least 250psi Randy and then come back and give a report.

I totally agree with you on the chain-slap or lack of.....These things are quiet. I just hope (long term) the pivots stay just as quiet. Which is what the early VPP bikes from SCB suffered from.

Members who have read this thread: 0