Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bring on the DH bikes here come 2.7 Tires

3K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  bcd 
#1 ·
Paging through the a new disributer calaliog this morning. Noticed a new 29" frame from Origin 8, and new seatpost insert for holding bikes from Park, and a few other midly interesting things.

Towards the back I noticed the newe Pythibns was listed 29x2.0, but the next page has Kenda Nevegal 29x2.7 wire bead, Stick-E rubber, ~1450 grams.

Discuss-

#4 ·
We have tire the frame is done if there is fork and this is complicate. Send the tire sample to WB and beg them for Groove 203 29". If there is no fork, no sense in frame construction (that's what I got in e-mail form CT, Niner and others), tires and just an exibit to star and marvel at. We need a real 29" DH fork not detached and remade form 26".

#6 ·
Davidcopperfield said:
We have tire the frame is done if there is fork and this is complicate. Send the tire sample to WB and beg them for Groove 203 29".
Honestly, every time you post, I'm left scratching my head:confused:

Anyhoo, this is taken from Guitar Ted's post on twentynineinches. Looks like there are some fatter tires in the pipeline:

Large, Meaty Tire On The Horizon!: Another piece of juicy news! Hearing from overseas that a 2.6? aggressive treaded, true free ride, all mountain fatty is actually on it's way. The tire, which I don't have a name or brand for yet, is expected in the U.S. for testing soon and may even be available by the end of the summer for folks like you and I to ride!

Again, I have no idea who is producing this fatty, but if I had to take a stab at it, I'd say Kenda is a likely subject, since they have invested in a mold machine capable of such a tire. Stay tuned for more as we learn it.

#7 ·
all your base are belong to us

Davidcopperfield said:
We have tire the frame is done if there is fork and this is complicate. Send the tire sample to WB and beg them for Groove 203 29". If there is no fork, no sense in frame construction (that's what I got in e-mail form CT, Niner and others), tires and just an exibit to star and marvel at. We need a real 29" DH fork not detached and remade form 26".
I personally am much disliking those forks remade form 26', and not the all mountain marlvel fork which in sense is what so many are all for asking.

#8 ·
I was talking to JT [yes THAT JT - super nice dude] at the QBP open house and he did mention that Kenda was working on sourcing a mold that would be cabable of making this size tire. He said this with a slight grin that told me "its coming soon", with out saying as much. So yes, to echo what Mark has said, and the above quote from the catalog, my money is on Kenda to do this big bad tire.

#12 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Sure enough, the part# for the 29" version in the catalog is the same as the part# for the 26" version on the website (and the 26" version is not listed in the paper catalog).
26" tire are no more needed with adequate 29" tire to replace. Who will compare Kenda tire with Intense 5.5 for a perfect 72 degree head ratio and WB 303mm fork?

;)

#14 ·
gumby said:
I don't use bigger than 2.5 on my freeride bike and we have lots of rocks to bounce off.
I don't know if bigger than 2.5 is needed?
Beefier knobs and tougher casings yes please!
Agreed. And on 26" dh bikes, very few serious riders are running tires larger than 2.5. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction. Just as when DH bikes were booming in popularity, the pendulum will swing too far before settling.

#16 ·
Well, if it says 2.7 than we have a fairly high degree of confidence that it will be a 2.4321345 when actually measured.

I don't know how/why you'd need more than a current Neve on a Kris Holm rim. If they could achieve that width at a more reasonable weight it sounds like a great turgid SS tire.

At 1450g plus KH rim plus DH toob you're going to need power steering when you reach warp speed! Bring it, and let the monster truck rally commence.

#17 ·
gumby said:
I don't use bigger than 2.5 on my freeride bike and we have lots of rocks to bounce off.
I don't know if bigger than 2.5 is needed?
Beefier knobs and tougher casings yes please!
Agreed that 2.5 is enough, assuming it's a true 2.5.

Wish more people understood that the (lack of durable) casings are what's holding current tires back.

MC

#18 ·
Soupboy said:
Well, if it says 2.7 than we have a fairly high degree of confidence that it will be a 2.4321345 when actually measured.
True dat. Maybe smaller.

Soupboy said:
I don't know how/why you'd need more than a current Neve on a Kris Holm rim.
It's all in the trails. If you lived somewhere where *actual* mtb trails existed, you might understand a little better. Cute little footpaths through the woods are fun and all, but road bikes work well on those too...

Soupboy said:
At 1450g plus KH rim plus DH toob you're going to need power steering when you reach warp speed! Bring it, and let the monster truck rally commence.
What is ya--ig'nint? With a dual ply (~1300+g) tire, you can run any dang tube (or none at all) and be just fine at LOW pressures. Last year I ran dual ply tires on The Pig for a month, with 26 x 1.75 thin tubes, and the tire squirm at 15psi is what dictated the low end of the PSI scale. I couldn't flat 'em despite ridin' 'em like they were rented.

And if they are truly 2.5/6/7" and ~1400g tires, you won't need to run a KH with them--they'll protect the rim so well all on their own.

I suspect this all started out as a typo, but I'll be as happy as the next guy if it's real.

MC

#23 ·
It could indeed be a typo, and in the end I won't ever own a bike that could make proper use of these tires anyway, but it would be cool to see a real dual-ply tire.

Maybe I should have asked J&B when I had them on the phone earlier, but now I think it will be more fun to speculate. And half the time the person you talk to knows about as much as about the product they sell as my dog.

#26 ·
Considering the source....

I'd say it's a typo. J&B is rife with them in every issue they put out. ;)

That said, the fatty is indeed on the way, but still no news on the source yet.

Note: J&B is also notorious for listing products that they will be stocking, but don't necessarily have in stock at present. The Python's are a prime example of this practice of theirs.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.