Brianhead 100- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Brianhead 100

  1. #1
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247

    Brianhead 100

    ...was a rockin good time.

    Nat Ross won with an impressive 7:40 minutes....very impressive considering that the course was in less than ideal shape. Deejay Birtch won the SS category on his Fisher Rig with 8 hours and some change.

    The course was super fun until about mile 87. You go through the last aid station at this point and you get all excited to be done with it. In my head I figured it shouldn't be too hard to climb the rest of the way up to the summit and then hit the downhill to the finish.....not soo. They basically save the worst of the climbing for the last section of the course. It hurt. Then you hit what you expect to be a fun downhill and it still manages to have a few climbs to it! However, the first 87 miles were pure fun. Great scenery, awesome singletrack, wide open fireroads that spun out my 40-11 and great people to ride with.

    As for the bikes...there were lots of 29"ers out there. Off the top of my head....5 or 7 fisher hardtails, 1 rig, 2 or 3 sugars, a SS strong, what appeared to be a Wily, an IF, a waltworks(newt), my moots, the niner(only female SS), the leviathan and Jake's ti Jericho.

    I'm sure Padre will chime in shortly with words and pictures.

    You guys missed a good ride!

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  2. #2
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Some cool finish line shots...

    Here's 2nd place SS finisher Jake from AZ, who finished only seconds behind is buddy Deejay...he pulled a standing wheelie for at least 20 feet. His ti Jericho is equipped with a carbon 26" Pace fork which he claims makes his 29er handle like a 26er. Also, noteworthy, he and Deejay also ran tubeless with wire beaded Nanos with no flats.

    Then Donkey feelin' fresh as a daisy and cursing Team Big Bear for the course design on the last 13 miles.

    Then Madre draggin' over the line a little behind the pack-mule.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Some cool bikes/people shots...

  4. #4
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I'm sure Padre will chime in shortly with words and pictures.
    B
    why yes...yes he will....

    first...the brass tax....

    Nat Ross on the podium...(Fisher geared 29er)
    Deejay Birtch and Jake ? (Fisher Rig and Jericho Ti 29er)
    Madre on the podium...(Niner, duh)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Some cool bikes/people shots...
    Really....where?

    Okay nevermind.....they're showing up now:-)

    B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  6. #6
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Some cool bikes/people shots...

    pic 1 = Nat's Ziggurat? An unofficial frame that doesn't really exist. According to Nat, unoffically and off the record, it's really just a Rig with a regular BB shell. He was running Juicy 7's and tubeless with IRC Mythos and 26" Stan's Strips. He did flat about 1/2 mile from the finish line.
    pic 2 = you can see the welds are very similar to the Rig.
    pic 3 = a non-existant bike

    FYI - he had a back up bike in the car, a Sugar. Unofficially and off the record, the low BB height, the wacky handling, makes for a bike that he seldom if ever chooses to ride. He is reported to have loved riding a Leviathan.

    Pic 4 = forgetting his name, this is the guy on here who's got the sweet Mav adjusted for 29 and on his pimped out Sugar. He ran Exi's fore/aft...for a 100miler????

    Pic 5 = Two girls who placed top 5 both on Fisher 29ers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Still more...

    Deejay travels the states with his best friend in tow. A springer name Judah who barks at the world every 10 seconds on the dot. He loves to hang out and chase sticks and stuff. He got told by a surly Jack Russell though. Better stick to humans.

    Here's Ned, another one of our Warrior's Society teammates. He's next to his week old Seven 29er. Quite a way to break it in..100 miles and 12 hours of SS love...He's coming off a Kona Unit.

    Here's the love...according to Nat...a "very sexy bike." According to 1st place finisher Deejay..."I want one." According to half the folks out there talking to Madre..."are those 29" wheels?" "That bike is georgous!" etc etc etc....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    More sweet photos...
    Pic 1 - partners in crime....Donkey, Padre, Madre
    Pic 2 - why is Donkey staring at that guy's crotch? He's got a Leadville 100 belt buckle of course! As it turns out, he's got 6 of em...Donkey wants him some buckle.
    Pic 3 - looked who parked next to us! Nat! An undoubtedly cool cat who's a great athlete and generally solid fellow.
    Pic 4 - course conditions....MUDDY. All naysayers who say the Leviathan ghost-shifts...how do you think it shifted like this? Just fine...
    Pic 5 - this guy is quite the anomoly....a rigid IF...with a BRA!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Note to self: Don't change ANYTHING on wife's bike prior to 100 mile event.

    I noticed her seatpost was past the max line by about 5mm and her BB was at the 12 o'clock position in the EBB. Einstein here decides to "fix it." I dropped the BB to 6 o'clock and lowered the seatpost accordingly. STUPID.

    Here is what my "fix" did for my wife:
    1. Standing climbing her body was too low to use the normal muscles to pull on the bars.
    2. Pedals smacking on everything!
    3. Seating climbing, couldn't use hamstrings, only quads...ouch!
    4. seated below the bars, reaching up.

    What a dolt I am! Leave it next time till after...then ajust a TINY bit at a time.....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    492
    sorry I missed you guys, woulda liked to say hey in person - I ended up running support for the wife this year and actually rode in the last 35miles or so w/ her - ended up completeing her first ever 100 miler in a pretty reasonable time, just over 11hrs - considering the course was a lot slower this year due to the mud etc... it was not a bad time at all.

    One other 29er that was in attendence was the latest piece of work from Mike Desalvo that I broke out for the last 35 miles. Yes I will have pics to follow, but for the meantime its sweet steel and looks a helluva like an orange creamsicle and rides unbelievably.

    How about the mudfest this year between aids 4 and 5.... definitely don't see mud like that here in UT, reminds me of that 5th season back in VT - mudseason.

    good job to all who made it down for the race and it was great seeing the amount 29ers in attendence this year.

    Cheers

    D

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12

    Old men ride big wheels too

    Bob Dawson got 1st place on his Gary Fisher SuperCaliber in the 50+ category. 9:10.

  12. #12
    Squalor
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,573
    Good Job Guys and Gals...

    Looks like a blast!

    LP

  13. #13
    giddy up!
    Reputation: donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,247
    Nice..I remember seeing a couple cross the line at about that point in time...must have been you two.

    Very impressive finish for her....congrats!

    B

    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    sorry I missed you guys, woulda liked to say hey in person - I ended up running support for the wife this year and actually rode in the last 35miles or so w/ her - ended up completeing her first ever 100 miler in a pretty reasonable time, just over 11hrs - considering the course was a lot slower this year due to the mud etc... it was not a bad time at all.

    One other 29er that was in attendence was the latest piece of work from Mike Desalvo that I broke out for the last 35 miles. Yes I will have pics to follow, but for the meantime its sweet steel and looks a helluva like an orange creamsicle and rides unbelievably.

    How about the mudfest this year between aids 4 and 5.... definitely don't see mud like that here in UT, reminds me of that 5th season back in VT - mudseason.

    good job to all who made it down for the race and it was great seeing the amount 29ers in attendence this year.

    Cheers

    D
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,602

    great report....

    any more pics of the ti jericho?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy aka Rut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,171
    Congrat's to all of you all. 100 miler with a 13 mile death climb at the end... ouch!
    Great job!!!!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    844
    Awesome pics!!!! How the hell do you guys do that on a S.S.???!!!

  17. #17
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    Awesome pics!!!! How the hell do you guys do that on a S.S.???!!!
    We didn't. Only my wife did!
    Donkey rode his geared Moots...he's getting ready for Leadville in two weeks, so opted out of the SS.
    I rode my geared Leviathan...in the 50 miler...although I got lost and made it about 56...
    My wife rode her Niner and wouldn't have it any other way!

  18. #18
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    any more pics of the ti jericho?
    Nah. Jericho just doesn't have the luster it once did.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    25

    Bra

    The IF needs the BRA to support the huge... grips.

    Great race everyone. Thank you Donkey (the guy with the geared Moots) for saving me from getting lost after aid station #4.

    Is anyone doing the E-100 in Park City?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    950

    nice to meet all of you

    Hey Padre, great to meet you and Madre and Donkey at Brian Head. Thanks for posting the Sug/ Maverick, and the Exi-Wolf's were awesome! They didn't load up too bad in the mud, rolled fast on the roads, and ripped the singletrack. I am heading down to the shop to pick up my Niner right now. I will post pics and give a ride report later tonight.

  21. #21
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish
    Hey Padre, great to meet you and Madre and Donkey at Brian Head. Thanks for posting the Sug/ Maverick, and the Exi-Wolf's were awesome! They didn't load up too bad in the mud, rolled fast on the roads, and ripped the singletrack. I am heading down to the shop to pick up my Niner right now. I will post pics and give a ride report later tonight.
    Yeah..great to meet you too!
    IT's just that the Exi's are sooo heavy for that kind of ride..you're an animal!
    Did you order an XL niner?

  22. #22
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish
    I went with a Large as the top tube was only a 1/4 shorter than my Sug' I decided to go 30-17 to start. What do you think about that small of chainring? I'll give the build details tonight.
    I tried 30x20 once... i didn't like it...it "felt" weird...the power was being distributed oddly.
    I'm going to try it again though...30x17 is worth a shot...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    950

    Large Niner

    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah..great to meet you too!
    IT's just that the Exi's are sooo heavy for that kind of ride..you're an animal!
    Did you order an XL niner?
    I went with a Large as the top tube was only a 1/4 shorter than my Sug' I decided to go 30-17 to start. What do you think about that small of chainring? I'll give the build details tonight.

  24. #24
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Note to self: Don't change ANYTHING on wife's bike prior to 100 mile event.

    I noticed her seatpost was past the max line by about 5mm and her BB was at the 12 o'clock position in the EBB. Einstein here decides to "fix it." I dropped the BB to 6 o'clock and lowered the seatpost accordingly. STUPID.

    Here is what my "fix" did for my wife:
    1. Standing climbing her body was too low to use the normal muscles to pull on the bars.
    2. Pedals smacking on everything!
    3. Seating climbing, couldn't use hamstrings, only quads...ouch!
    4. seated below the bars, reaching up.

    What a dolt I am! Leave it next time till after...then ajust a TINY bit at a time.....
    This post cracks me up! The ever-attentive husband, just trying to do right by his woman...

    "I tweaked your bike a bit, honey...hehhh!"

    Seems like something I'd pull.

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V5.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  2. Park City Endurance 100
    By ketchd in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
  3. Challenge to Endurance Junkies (100 milers)
    By JB100 in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM
  4. The Endurance 100 ,Park City Utah
    By BorisThe E1000 in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
  5. Durango MTB 100 race report
    By Ptor in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 04:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.