Breezer Storm Expert 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Breezer Storm Expert 29

Hey guys! New to the group, how is everybody?
    I currently have an 03 Stumpy, wanting to get into a 29er. So many choices, I'd like to get the best bang, for my buck. I've been looking at used bikes.
    I've narrowed it down, to either a '10 GF Cobia, or a '14 Breezer Storm. I'd have to upgrade to hydros on the Gary Fisher, but the Breezer looks, on point. It's clean, and the components are pretty good quality.
    My concern is, I've had trouble finding anything online about them. I know they are made by the same company that makes Fuji, and SE.
    All I really know, is they are supposed to be comfortable, and ergonomic. Any other help, one way, or another, would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks again for reading my first post!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I don't know about the Storm but I have a Breezer Repack and I really like it. It is a well made nice quality bike that is great to ride. I wouldn't have any misgivings about recommending a Breezer bike to anyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh really? I appreciate that!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No problem...there is a thread on the 29er forum about the Breezer Supercell. Seems like those guys like their bikes too. There are definitely some good deals to be had on the closeout Breezers.

mtbr member
    I would say go with the Storm just because of the age alone. It is four years younger than the GF. It looks like a decent, decidedly XC mid-range bike.

What kind of riding are you planning to do? If you are doing cross country, fire roads, gravel, double track, nothing too technical it would be a perfect reentry into mountain biking and 29ers. If you are going to bomb hills or go up and down mountains you would want a slacker HT, wider wheels and tires. But if you are just getting back into the sport you are probably not doing that.

Looking at the specs online, I see a solid Deore/XT mixed groupo, WTB components all around, all decent stuff. You have a 3X up front which will give you a nice range if you are riding pavement or riding streets to and from the trail.

Good luck and I hope it helps.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ride park trails mostly. Not downhill parks, those look INSANELY fun though. A lot of single track stuff. Is a 29er, really the way to go though? I kinda like the 650b+, haven't seen any of those used yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Can't speak for the Storm but I can't say enough good things about my '14 Supercell Expert.

I met Joe Breeze at DirtFest in PA this past spring and demo'ed a Repack Team. I prefer 29ers over 27.5 so the Supercell was an easy choice for me.

As mentioned, I'd have no qualms about recommending a Breezer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoxposer View Post
    I ride park trails mostly. Not downhill parks, those look INSANELY fun though. A lot of single track stuff. Is a 29er, really the way to go though? I kinda like the 650b+, haven't seen any of those used yet.
    You would have to test ride both wheel sizes to really know for yourself. Personally I like 29ers. I am 6'4". 29ers are liked generally for their speed and ability to roll over obstacles.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 Storm Sport with a few upgrades. It has the same frame as the Expert. It handles very well, especially in the turns. It is not the lightest bike on the market, but at 6'1"' & 250# I wanted something that would be durable. You will be amazed at how you can just pick any line and take it. A friend of mine has a 2014 Specialized Crave Comp and we swapped bikes a while back when riding. He said that my bike handled like a Porsche while his was more like a Dodge Charger.
    Do you know if the one you are looking at is the early release with the Raidon forks? If so that is a plus. Overall I have been very pleased with my bike. As far as is a 29er the way to go? All I can say after riding mine now for eight months I will never go back. As soon as my eleven year old daughter stops growing I will be getting her one too. I have a strong feeling she is going to be a tall one and I don;t want to buy one now that will end up being too small.
    My brother recently bought the Breezer Supercell Pro which is a 29er also and he now feels the same way about them too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That's awesome, and great to know!! I really appreciate it! The one I'm looking at, has the Rock Shox XC28.

mtbr member
    That fork will be a bit flexi. It will be something that you will want to upgrade though. For the riding that you said you will be doing you can probably get by for a while until you can save up $300-$350 to get a good fork. I put an X-Fusion Slide on mine and set the travel at 120 mm and the sag at 30%. I absolutely love this fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breezer Storm Expert 29-9-12-2015.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That's a sick looking ride! I'm newer to MTB, (about a year) not too familiar with a lot of forks. I know Rock Shox, and Fox. From what I've heard, Suntour forks, and a lot of Manitou forks suck?
    You are using platform pedals? I'm thinking about going back to them. I switched to clipless, but I'm not really digging them anymore. I kinda liked the ability, to move my feet around a lil bit.

mtbr member
    I recently switched back to flat pedals after 20+ years of clipless. I guess the main reason I switched is because my old Shimano DX pedals which I have had forever are red and they didn't match my new bike. I bought some Shimano M530 pedals but I always have to put on my bike shoes to wear them when I ride around the neighborhood. I miss the large platform of the DX pedals which I didn't have to always wear my bike shoes. So I bought Nukeproof Electron Evo Pedals from Chain Reaction Cycles and I couldn't be happier with them.

Manitou may have had a checkered past but the latest offerings are very good. Whatever forks you end up buying that is if you get this bike need to have at least 32 mm stanchions. You also want it to be an air sprung fork.

The most important thing is to make sure whatever bike you buy fits you properly. Otherwise you will have wasted money and will not be happy with the bike regardless of components that it may have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hello. Are you the guy that posted on the BABES Facebook page? Sounds like it from your post. How tall are you? I'm assuming you have some moto experience based on your screen name. I'm tall (almost 6'3", more legs than torso) and got back into mountain biking pretty seriously a few years ago, after riding/racing motos in the woods for several years. For me, the switch from 26 to 29" wheels has been an improvement in every way. Rolling over trail junk, logs, roots, rocks, etc is much better, traction is better, and I prefer that way the bikes steer (more handlebar input/counter-steering, like a moto). I've rented 27.5" bikes a few times while on vacation and I'm always happy to get back on a 29er.

I would go one step further and suggest, if your budget allows, going full suspension. I've had a couple hardtails and while they are a good learning tool for getting off the saddle over chunky stuff, they sure deliver a beating to the lower back and suck more energy from your legs. There are lots of rocks and roots on the trails around here, and the rear suspension really helps. I've ridden other places out West where rear suspension would be a waste, but not here. If my budget would only allow for a hardtail, then I'd get some really wide rims/tires. So an important detail to look at IMO, would be clearance for 2.3 to 2.4" wide tires.

What's your budget for a bike? I can pass along good deals when I find them. I'm always keeping an eye out for friends looking to get on the trails, or to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, regarding pedals. I'm one of the few guys around here that uses platform pedals. It seems that every time somebody mentions to me how much better clipless pedals are, they end up crashing during the ride with me because they couldn't release from the pedals quick enough in the techy stuff (and they have all been experienced riders). I use clipless on my road bike, so I know they do have their merits. But to me, my safety and comfort are more important. I think clipless is harder on your feet, knees, and hips because they restrict your natural body movements and concentrate a lot of pressure in a small area of your foot. I use Diety compound pedals, which are the same as the Nukeproof Electrons.

For the suspension fork, I also second the advice to look for at least 32mm stanchions and air preload. The Rock Shox XC28 is a pretty crappy fork, and I'd honestly rather have a Suntour XCR fork. The lesser Suntour forks (XCT, XCM) are junk, so avoid those. If you look hard and are patient, you can buy a pretty nice fork for around $250, so keep that in mind if you want to upgrade in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hey! Yup, that's me! I'm 5'9"-5'10"-ish. I still ride MX, not very well (C-class).
    I'd love to get a full suspension, but I've heard a lot of negatives, like fighting your pedal momentum on climbs, stuff like that. I ride Brady's for the most part. Lots of roots!
    Right now, like sub-$500 budget. I'm pretty impatient, I could wait until spring, but I feel that I need to buy now. My buddy owns a shop, has a 2015 Trek Marlin 7, for $450, brand new. The components kinda worry me.
    I have a bmx background as well. I think I'm switching back to the platforms. I've had a few fall overs, not getting unclipped. Thinking it's not worth it.

mtbr member
    At your height you will need a medium in a Breezer Storm. A large will be too big.
    I would pass on the Trek just for the reasons you stated, especially the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That Trek is a good deal for the price, although the fork sucks and the brakes are questionable. This bike is about the same price with the discount they have right now, but has a better fork and brakes: Product: Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er Mountain Bike - Nashbar Exclusive

However, the Trek has a little better geometry, it has a better warranty, and you get to do business with your friend and local shop, so I'd lean toward the Trek. It might be a little harder to find an aftermarket fork, as I think both bikes have straight headtubes. Most new, good forks have tapered steerers for tapered headtubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This bike is spec'd better, but the fork is not air adjustable and only 30mm stanchions Product: Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er Mountain Bike - Nashbar Exclusive

mtbr member
    Well it looks like the Marlin 7 won MBR's sub 500 pound (UK) shootout. This guy seems to like it very much.

If you get it you can always use the Suntour upgrade program and get a Raidon fork for $200.00 . Many people have done this and have been very happy with the fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Can you get a tapered steerer tube fork? You can't get a different headset? It's headtube dependent?

mtbr member
    Some frames will allow you to use a conversion bottom cup headset, I don't know if this is one of them. At your budget I don't really see the need to put a fork with a tapered head tube on it. There are many forks out there that work very well that are available with a straight head tube.

As mentioned before the Suntour Raidon fork which is available through the Suntour Upgrade program is a good fork and it is only $200.00 SR Suntour North America

Then there is the X-Fusion Slide, Manitou Marvel Comp, and Rock Shox Recon Gold that are in the $3-400.00 price range. And if that is not enough you can up the any and spend $500.00-700.00 for the X-Fusion Trace, Manitou Marvel Pro, Rock Shox Reba or Sid. But why put a $500.00-700.00 fork on a $500.00 bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Lol, yeah, that's totally cool! Not looking to throw that kind of cash into it. I'll probably scour Craigslist for a used Rock Shox, or a Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Storm 29 medium frame is a really Good ride. Just over $900. Extremely well built. Very ergo and smooth gearing. I have pounded it and it doesn’t budge. Very nice.