Brand snobs?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Brand snobs?

So Cal Slayin'

Brand snobs?

So I've been looking for a new bike lately to replace my Yeti SB5.5. Love the bike but like to try new things and ride something with new geometry. Mainly looking for something to be my do it all bike in Southern California. I had originally had two options in mind, a new Niner Rip 9 RDO or Rocky Mountain Instinct. When I mention either of these bikes to anyone I ride with, I usually get the same response. "Why would you go from a Yeti to that?". Not that it affects my decision too much, but it does take some of the stoke away from a new bike when all of your riding buddies are questioning why you would want it. It seems to me that a lot of people think that Yeti's are the end all be all for some reason. Am I missing something here? Sorry, just needed a place to rant, mountain biking has turned into something completely different than it was when I got into it.... Now there are people riding around on $8000 dollar bikes with $1 skills.

Also, any other bikes I should demo in the 120mm-140mm range while making my decision?

Bikesexual
    If I paid attention to my buddies that got me into riding, I would still own a Cannondale bike or. 5k bike that now sits in a garage and is rarely ridden.

Do what makes you happy, is your hard earned cash.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    ibis Ripley
    ibis ripmo
    SC hightower
    SC Tallboy
    Giant Trance
    Yeti SB120
    Orbea Occam
    Try some of these, They're Pretty OK Bikes!
    SC Tallboy 4
    ibis Ripmo AF
    Norco Bigfoot

mtbr member
    I really liked my RIP RDO I had a few years back. Great bike. I have ridden the Rocky as well and thought it was a great bike.

There are lots of great bikes out there not made by Ibis and Santa Cruz.

So Cal Slayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I really liked my RIP RDO I had a few years back. Great bike. I have ridden the Rocky as well and thought it was a great bike.

There are lots of great bikes out there not made by Ibis and Santa Cruz.
    I agree.. Almost every bike that I have demo'd lately has been very impressive. Just trying to find the one that works for me the best. Reading these and other forums though, you won't even see any discussions on these other brands.

mtbr member
    I have some friends with Singlespeed Ti Hardtails from small mfg. They give me crap about my Specialized Epic "Walmart" bike. My Epic is a 2018 carbon top to bottom and pretty capable bike. I also have a steel Singlespeed too, but they give me crap about "Specialized". In the end I don't care. I buy the bike that best meets my needs

So Yeti's are cool, but do they hit the mark or not. I have two other friend with Yeti's. Both have SB5+ and one also has SB100 and used an ASR. He is really a yeti guy, but I don't hold that against him. Niner is not really trendy these days, but that does not mean much to me. I considered a new Rip 9 before it got my Ripmo, but in the end it came down Ripmo performance and pricing. Neither the Ibis nor Niner were cheap, but I felt the Ripmo was just a bit better.

One serious question I have is about the 5.5. Why do you want to change it? I tend to keep my bikes for a while so for me to change takes some serious considerations as to why and what I benefit I get. I do know of some folks that change their bikes more often some people change underwear.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    $1 skills!

I love the Evil Offering.

But my new strategy is to buy a base model bike and customize the cockpit, suspension and brakes. Just helped a friend do this with a Capra AL. It has 180mm Push tuned fork, Avalanche tuned coil shock, zee brakes and all in cost less than $3000. He was considering a used sb150 for $6800. I'm sorry but I would take two new bikes over one used bike anyday.

So Cal Slayin'
    ^^^ I have been looking hard at the Offering as well....

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    One serious question I have is about the 5.5. Why do you want to change it? I tend to keep my bikes for a while so for me to change takes some serious considerations as to why and what I benefit I get. I do know of some forks that change their bikes more often some people change underwear.

I get the itch to change bikes quite often. I have held onto this Yeti longer than any other bike recently though so I do really like the bike. What I miss though is the playful nature and maneuverability of a shorter travel "trail" bike. The Yeti is definitely fast but I'm not out racing enduro, just trying to go out and have a smile on my face after every ride. My local trail system isn't gnarly by any means, so most of my rides are pretty dulled down by the Yeti. My Evil Following that I owned before this bike was almost perfect for me, but I just couldn't get on with the slack seat tube angle, it was killing my back and knees.

Short-Change-Hero
    Seems like Yeti has always had that "Turquoise Veil" syndrome on people. Used to be that they were like the top of the top Boutique type brand but not so much anymore. Not that they are bad bikes, just the market has changed and there are plenty of players out there.

I will throw out a different one... Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol. Small company out of Colorado that is doing big things. Love my The Smash (trail/enduro 29er) and has been worth every penny!

beater
    You’re in Southern California and are surprised by superficial people?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    Now there are people riding around on $8000 dollar bikes with $1 skills.
    I don’t think this is new. People have been raising this complaint on these forums for years.

As far as what to look for- just about every bike company has a 120-140mm frame on the market now. What’s important to you? If you want something new, poke around the different forums, or at least use the manufacturer forum list as a checklist for checking each companies website to see what they offer. If you value convenience and local service, visit bike shops in your area and have some conversations. The most important thing is that you like the bike. Who GAF about anyone else.

So Cal Slayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    You’re in Southern California and are surprised by superficial people?
    You do have a pretty solid point there... I guess that shouldn't have come as a surprise.

mtbr member
    Nothing screams cool like Yeti's 'how to impress your white middle-age upper-middle class friends' image. But seriously, bikes aren't a real status symbol and quality differences are overblown. My newish expensive as shit Santa Cruz creaks like crazy (third I've taken back to the bike shop for creaks), the Fox factory X2 I put on it doesn't equalize like it should, the cutting edge 210mm OneUp dropper rattles because they forgot to apply two layers of electrical tape at the factory (no seriously), and the rear wheel can't go a ride without the spokes loosening. Yeti has had an issue with frame cracks on their SB series bikes. There's nothing special about Yeti, SC, Ibis or whatever other high-end bike brand. The joke is on the bike snobs.

mtbr member
    Also, any other bikes I should demo in the 120mm-140mm range while making my decision?
    Revel Rail (27.5) or Rascal (29). I've only ridden the Rascal, but since you're coming from the 5.5, I mention the Rail.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Based on your idea of what you're looking for, I urge you to demo the new Giant Trance. Really rad bike, short travel and snappy, and it'll make your boutique friends burst into tears.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

slow
    My friends and riding buddies used to ask what I was thinking every time I got a different bike, but they don't bother any more. I prefer to let the skills speak for me and not the name on the side of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The only way to become less reliant on the opinions of others is to work on yourself.

So Cal Slayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    The only way to become less reliant on the opinions of others is to work on yourself.
    Thank you, Guru.

since 4/10/2009
    It seems to me that a lot of people think that Yeti's are the end all be all for some reason. Am I missing something here?
    Yeti in particular has a bit of a cult following. They've been around for longer than many in the high end boutiquey side of the market, though as others have mentioned, they're less unique now than they used to be. Still, for some, that "aura" about the brand/company still exists.

A couple of my riding buddies own Yetis. One is a total Yeti fanboy and has been riding them for awhile. The other isn't, and only bought the SB130 after demoing a bunch of bikes in the same class over the course of a year or so, and just liked that one more than the others he rode. Of course, he loves it, but it's also nicer than any other bike he's ever owned, so there's that about it.

For me, they're more expensive than I'm really willing to pay for what they are. There are a few things I look for in a bike. First off is how well it rides, of course. But anything with critical proprietary parts goes to the bottom of the list. I've seen what happens when you can't service or replace a critical proprietary part when the mfr decides suddenly to stop supporting it (ahem*brain shock*ahem). The new Trek Supercaliber sets off my alarm bells with the new shock arrangement. Not giving that bike even a sidelong glance. I don't care how well it rides. There's a bunch of other proprietary stuff on the market that I don't want anything to do with, either. I also have more of a "metal bike" mentality, too. And then there's all the intangibles about how a company "carries" itself. Can't really put a definite finger on lots of them, but some of those things can draw me towards a company and its products, or drive me away from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    This. (steps to achieve below)

1. Buy an actual walmart bike
    2. Bunny hop over your friend's bike
    3. Mid-hop sneer, "you ride a Yeti!? why would you want that"
    4. Go have many beers with the money you saved

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't have to have the latest, greatest bike. Nothing wrong with that strategy, but my goal was to get a bike that climbed better than my old one and was downhill competent. I demo Yeti sb5.5 last year and really liked it for my riding style. With Yeti bringing out the new line up the timing as perfect to score a 5.5 in excellent condition at good price. With a couple of minor tweaks I'm set for a few years. Would the SB130 be a better bike for me? Maybe, but as long as I don't demo I know I'll be happy with the upgrade to the 5.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The driver mod is always the best mod. Bikes are secondary to the rider. I built my own and used quality suspension on a chiner 29er FS and I love it. My buddies trek 9.5 rides and weighs very similar since I used the same suspension he had. Only difference is he has a 10-50 12s cassette and I have a 9-50 11s cassette

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Get what ya like, your friends are just jealous. :0

Everything is a trade off it seems...It may be hard to replace that Yeti pedal efficiency but you may gain something elsewhere that is more important to your current riding needs.

I am still looking for that EVIL Following feeling but with more specific requirements. Tried a Ripmo for while and decided not for me, but there were a few things it did amazingly well and now that stuck with me.

I ended up on a META TR29, super fun capable bike, but still not meeting all requirements. I've only had it for a few months and still looking at other frames. Good times!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Deffo try the DW-Link bikes:

IBIS
    Turner
    Pivot
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Dirty Old Man
    So I've been looking for a new bike lately to replace my Yeti SB5.5. Love the bike but like to try new things and ride something with new geometry. Mainly looking for something to be my do it all bike in Southern California. I had originally had two options in mind, a new Niner Rip 9 RDO or Rocky Mountain Instinct. When I mention either of these bikes to anyone I ride with, I usually get the same response. "Why would you go from a Yeti to that?". Not that it affects my decision too much, but it does take some of the stoke away from a new bike when all of your riding buddies are questioning why you would want it. It seems to me that a lot of people think that Yeti's are the end all be all for some reason. Am I missing something here? Sorry, just needed a place to rant, mountain biking has turned into something completely different than it was when I got into it.... Now there are people riding around on $8000 dollar bikes with $1 skills.

Yeti definitely draws attention. I've personally witnessed it at the tops of climbs around here. Guy rolls up on a GX spec'ed Yeti, just about every other rider on the hill stops to oggle his bike and comment. I will admit, they look good, but I've never ridden any of the modern Yetis.

If you want something boutique, have you looked at the Forbidden Druid? Maybe the Alchemy? You could go gearbox with a Zerode. Personally, I'd love to have a mullet bike with about 150mm of travel and an electronically controlled gearbox. . . . .
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think Yeti is pretty widely recognized as one of the most flashy and expensive bikes on the market. People certainly notice if you're riding a Yeti, Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Ibis, or a few other brands. These are the high end bikes that the bike mecca places readily rent out at $90+ a day and the demo events come to town with them, too. I've always got the vibe that being a member of the tribe was some kind of elite above even other boutique bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Also demo:
    Norco Optic and Sight
    Devinci Django

mtbr member

Intense Primer?
    Either way it's your money, go with the bike that has the attributes that appeal to you.
    Giant, Trek, Diamondback, whichever one gets you on the trail more often.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Wanna ride bikes?
    OP, also check out the Kona Process 134, Transition Smuggler, and Devinci Django.

The Ibis Ripley is also a great bike, though slightly more on the XC side of things.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Hitching a ride
    When I mention either of these bikes to anyone I ride with, I usually get the same response. ""Why would you go from a Yeti to that?. Not that it affects my decision too much, but it does take some of the stoke away from a new bike when all of your riding buddies are questioning why you would want it. It seems to me that a lot of people think that Yeti's are the end all be all for some reason. Am I missing something here? Sorry, just needed a place to rant,
    You have a $8000 bike with $1 trailside trash talking skills. I bet you thought you were being bullied. Should we schedule some counseling?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    25 years ago when I was in collage I pulled a bike snob move and bought a new Klein Fervor over cheaper bikes, which in hind sight performed the same of better, mostly because of the name.

Although it was a bike snob move, it was actually a good bike. This year I had to stop riding the Klein because the lean foward was killing my arthritis. I replaced it with an REI co-op branded bike, and frankly, the REI bike was nicer and performed better than most of the "higher" branded names I looked at.

I'm pretty happy with my bike snob to retail big box bike transformation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm pretty sure that if someone is worried about what other people think, more so then what they think, that this is indicative of an issue that will probably not be solved by asking for opinions on an anonymous social media platform. Just saying ...

But since you asked: Get the bike you like best, Yeti is fine, in the end it's just a bike. Personally, I like off piste choices, so I ride a Guerilla Gravity, past bikes were Mutz, Devinci, and Lenz.

I don't sleep with my bike; wife doesn't care for the grease on the sheets, but I do keep my bike in the van so I can ride anytime the spirit moves me.

All the bikes are good these days, seriously.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Everything that isnt an orbea is hot garbage. Get a new occam or rallon and snub all your local yeti riders!

Really though, I think the heyday of some bike being CRAZY better is over. When the original mojo and turners first came out, they really were some of the few bikes that could actually pedal. Everything else had crap for anti squat and we all ran poorly damped RP shocks.

These days you can buy whatever from whoever and it pedals like magic, and its well made. I honestly cant think of any brand putting out shit bikes today (minus walmart style stuff).

I think a lot of yetis reputation rides on the astronomically high price. If they were exactly the same bikes down to every last detail, but 1/3rd the price, they wouldnt be considered to be so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think a lot of yetis reputation rides on the astronomically high price. If they were exactly the same bikes down to every last detail, but 1/3rd the price, they wouldnt be considered to be so good.
    There might be a cause and effect problem with this argument. The fact that people pay 3x what you think the bikes are worth, itself, indicates that the market values their bikes.

I've never ridden a Yeti outside of a parking lot demo so I don't have a dog in this fight. But they have many, many happy customers who plunked down huge chunks of cash for those bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you buy a Yeti, people who don't know anything about bikes will think you bought a bike from the company that makes overpriced coolers. As long as we are worried about other people's opinions ... What I'm saying is get whatever bike you like and also an RTIC mug will keep your drink just as cool as a Yeti mug.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Based on your idea of what you're looking for, I urge you to demo the new Giant Trance. Really rad bike, short travel and snappy, and it'll make your boutique friends burst into tears.
    I'll happily agree with this recommendation. ^^

Just few short years back I wouldn't have dreamed of owning a Giant. I had too many preconceived notions dating back to 80's and 90's: Cheap. Taiwan. Copycat. Behind the times. Horrifically ugly graphics and colors.

All that changed on a chance encounter. I was in the market for a new trail bike this year and was checking out Santa Cruz at my local shop. They also carry Giant and I was encouraged to take the new Trance 29 for a test run. It did everything as good or better than every other brand I demo'd and was equipped as good as bikes costing nearly twice the price. (Cool color and no ugly graphics either!) SOLD! Zero regrets after a summer of heavy riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't care what you buy as long as it's not a Fezzari . I don't know what it is about that name that makes me hate it so much, but I do. I do oh so very much.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

Pro Crastinator
    none of us are on Huffy's, so we are all a little bit of a brand snob deep inside...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I think Yeti is pretty widely recognized as one of the most flashy and expensive bikes on the market. People certainly notice if you're riding a Yeti, Evil, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Ibis, or a few other brands. These are the high end bikes that the bike mecca places readily rent out at $90+ a day and the demo events come to town with them, too. I've always got the vibe that being a member of the tribe was some kind of elite above even other boutique bikes.
    Trek bikes have become outrageously expensive for what you get, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    I don't care what you buy as long as it's not a Fezzari . I don't know what it is about that name that makes me hate it so much, but I do. I do oh so very much.
    This is misplaced hate. Their bike are good. Their company is cool. And hopefully their business model will help bring down the costs of bikes in general. But yeah the name is pretty terrible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I barely know what a Yeti brand bike is.

I am stunned that someone would turn up their nose at a Niner or Rocky Mountain. They are far from junk or cheap.

You have got to focus on component spec/geometry/where-how you ride and get past the brand snobbery of the people you associate with, or find different people to ride with. Wow.
    Last edited by NDTransplant; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Misspell
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1
    2018 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I'm buying an SB5.5 because it's on sale for half price! It's not vastly different or better than other offerings in the market, but it sure is pretty. The frame design has some great aesthetics, but it's not worth 7k IMHO...so I'm taking advantage of the fact that it's been discontinued because of its "outdated" geometry, but we all know it's still a monster on the trails.

That said, my Stumpy is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. 140/150, supple suspension, decent pedaling platform, good spec-to-cost ratio. It's aluminum and I'm hard pressed to find a reason I would've sprung for the carbon. It's a 2017 in the 6Fattie flavor and I'm running 29er or 27.5+ depending on terrain. It rips on the plus tires and gets me in the Strava leaderboards next to Epics and Blurs on the 29ers.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    OP, also check out the Kona Process 134, Transition Smuggler, and Devinci Django.

The Ibis Ripley is also a great bike, though slightly more on the XC side of things.
    I was taking a hard look at all the brands you mentioned to include Rocky Mountain and Trek. A friend of mine rides the Process and it's a great bike. Ultimately ended up with the Devinci Troy.

Co Springs
    I'm a value guy when it comes to most things so the "fun" of making extravagant purchases might be lost fairly often these days. This was not always the case and in my younger days as the times were ripe for conspicuous consumption and flashy things, young professionals wanted to flaunt as proof they sort of "made it" and had to wear, drive or display "it" like an accomplishment trophy.
    Many years of sales or marketing endeavors all but ruined me. In my mind, I never wanted to be "sold" anything and was constantly and consciously avoiding any recommendations so as to make up my own mind and never trust the advice of a sales person whose job it was to line their own pockets with extra cash and profit they wrung out of me by steering me to what They wanted me to buy.
    This thinking probably made me a good researcher so I could arm myself with information before I hit the street and know that I could either follow the advice that seemed in line with reality or what I learned and the honesty of a sales professional. Or, read between the lines and reiterate what I wanted and why to fend off sales staff that might not be so genuine.

At age 55 or so, I'd been reading the bike mags and buyer guides on/off for a year or two just to see what was happening. Soon those glossy pictures and best-buys for this category or that type of terrain etc... had all but seduced me. I was actually thinking I might want to get a newer bike from my Kona h/t v-braker that was about 14 years "experienced". My back-up bike is going on 30.
    After some consideration, I knew I'd not be flying down chutes at 30 mph +, doing big drops on 4"travel or needing a fly-weight $$$$ bike. Hell, I don't even own an ambulance.
    What I needed was a bike made by AARP.

Kidding aside, I found a range of bikes 3 years ago reviewed and suited more to what I'd like and expect for trails and riding terrain and hit the lower range of that budget spending around $1200. I could have spent $750 or another $2000 more so I felt like I wasn't short selling my options. There really is no substitute for doing the homework, knowing yourself well enough to get what you want and timing it with what's available during your shopping season. I wasn't even brand sensitive. It was going to be The Bike.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Listen to your friends!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    In 2016, I had a Yeti SB5c. Great bike! But, I was up in Bozeman Montana that summer and rented a Giant Trance (at the time a 27.5) that was quite a bit cheaper and was pretty blown away by the performance. You can't try every single bike out there, before you buy, but it would be a mistake to avoid at least trying certain brands out of a perception that they are somehow inferior to other brands.

I'm currently on a Giant Trance 29 Pro 1. I'm every kind of gear snob imaginable. With the Performance level DPX2 and Fox fork, I REALLY wanted to dislike them enough to upgrade to the Factory version of each.....but they're great. I wanted to hate the Guide T brakes (and did hate them for about 2 rides, till I got used to them). I ended up swapping out to XT's, but only because I have them on my other bikes. It does seem that a lot of the bikes and components have improved over the past two years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have 10$ skills. Does it counts?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I don’t know much about yeti frames but if there isn’t a big difference between the two, it seems like that yeti gx build is pretty comparable in price to other brands that have a similar build. Unless I am missing something in the specs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I thought Niner went out of business? Or maybe it was their customer service?

I can't say anything about coolness of Yeti, but current rendition is priced to be cool.

If you like how a bike fits you, rides, can afford, has decent warranty and customer service for the price of the bike, then you are set.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    This is a lot like guitars, a 10k guitar doesn't make you play like one. No use buying a top of the line unless you can use it all. Matching your possible skill level with a tool is important. [leaving room to grow]

For me what counts is #1 enjoyment combined with speed. I knew what I wanted and what I wanted it to weigh, and so I built my own. Guess what? I love what I have, a chiner 29er FS everything CF. Fox shocks all the way around a 9-50 11s with a 32t oval and it weighs 26lbs. My buddy likes this bike as much as his trek fuel 9.8 both identical weight and hill climbing ratios. Best 2500 I have spent for my health.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    No use buying a top of the line unless you can use it all. Matching your possible skill level with a tool is important. [leaving room to grow]
    So according to you only pro athletes deserve top level bikes, and beginners should only ride Huffy's from Walmart? This is complete garbage BS. Your opinion is your own.

For me what counts is #1 enjoyment combined with speed. I knew what I wanted and what I wanted it to weigh, and so I built my own. Guess what? I love what I have, a chiner 29er FS everything CF. Fox shocks all the way around a 9-50 11s with a 32t oval and it weighs 26lbs. My buddy likes this bike as much as his trek fuel 9.8 both identical weight and hill climbing ratios. Best 2500 I have spent for my health.
    The speed someone is riding has no direct correlation to the enjoyment factor. Neither does weight.

What the hell is a hill climbing ratio?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    So according to you only pro athletes deserve top level bikes, and beginners should only ride Huffy's from Walmart?

Do you also tell beginning guitar players to go out and buy a $10,000 Gibson acoustic?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The speed someone is riding has no direct correlation to the enjoyment factor.
    You missed the part where I stated "For me" most people can have a light fast bike that is NOT a top brand.

So you are factually wrong since it has a direct correlation with my enjoyment factor.

And since most people buy fast light bikes, I would say you are in error.

Meatbomb
    I live in an affluent town ..Scottsdale Az and I am shunned by anyone that sees me on the road or trail on my '13 stumpy.... I'm so ashamed.... NOT

Wanna ride bikes?
    Do you also tell beginning guitar players to go out and buy a $10,000 Gibson acoustic?
    You missed the part where I stated "For me" most people can have a light fast bike that is NOT a top brand.

So you are factually wrong since it has a direct correlation with my enjoyment factor.

And since most people buy fast light bikes, I would say you are in error.
    Yup, your comments here are on par with your user name... worthy of the hole in the outhouse.
    Last edited by *OneSpeed*; 11-11-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I live in an affluent town ..Scottsdale Az and I am shunned by anyone that sees me on the road or trail on my '13 stumpy.... I'm so ashamed.... NOT
    This! There's no reason to be ashamed of a Stumpy! My 2017 PURPLE aluminum Stumpy is amazeballs!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    This is misplaced hate. Their bike are good. Their company is cool. And hopefully their business model will help bring down the costs of bikes in general. But yeah the name is pretty terrible.
    Agreed on all points.

The name thing is interesting. I could never own a Scott- scott (my name) riding a scott... can't deal. For me, Santa Cruz is a cool town, i'd rock a Santa Cruz bike. Marin is a yuppie shithole, i was embarrassed by it when i had marin bikes.

Never understood why yeti is lustworthy, but niner pegging their brand to the wheel size... then doing a mediocre job with 29er geo always seemed ridicule-worthy. Rocky mountain is cool.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Agreed on all points.

The name thing is interesting. I could never own a Scott- scott (my name) riding a scott... can't deal. For me, Santa Cruz is a cool town, i'd rock a Santa Cruz bike. Marin is a yuppie shithole, i was embarrassed by it when i had marin bikes.

Never understood why yeti is lustworthy, but niner pegging their brand to the wheel size... then doing a mediocre job with 29er geo always seemed ridicule-worthy. Rocky mountain is cool.
    Well there you go; Name snobs.
    Your ideas and word associations put a unique spin on the subject here. Philbo sez Scottsdale is affluent but there is no bike named Scottsdale. Too bad because a Scott on a Scottsdale bike might work and has an upscale ring or lets call it The anti yuppie s - hole.

The whole branding thing never stuck with me on most things. I never bought into any entire brand and it's complete line up as having the best pick in every case throughout the variation of price point, features etc....
    Car tires, bikes or most other things have to fit my methods and it's typically a mixed bag. ie; Some Pirelli and Continental tires stand out but I'm not defaulting to either brand just because. It's specific to a tire in their lines.
    My three bike votes are Specialized, Kona, and Marin. None were purchased as brand affiliation or name.

I get it though. If a bike brand comes out as Brian (me of same name) or Bryan or Bryann, I probably couldn't go get one. If really on the fence about it and 'it' being a great bike, good value and just the things I wanted, then I'd get it and have the decals or name surreptitiously modified. In fact, Scottsdale might even be in the running.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    none of us are on Huffy's, so we are all a little bit of a brand snob deep inside...
    ACTUALLY, In the early '90s when I moved from the Central Coast to the midwest I had my custom titanium Yo Eddy tribute powder coated black and sported a full authentic Huffy decal set on it. Kind of a form of reverse snobbery- of course still ran all XTR & Grafton with a Tension Disc Pro, lol!
    On the Yeti subject...Worked at the shop that was #1 in Yeti sales for years and can tell you that Yeti bikes ARE special to alot of people, myself included. Just one bike right now...guess what... it's a 12 year old Yeti ASR-SLC 26er that I love and ride everyday since the day it was completed. AND I have less $ invested in it than many have invested in just their wheels!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich1966 View Post
    ACTUALLY, In the early '90s when I moved from the Central Coast to the midwest I had my custom titanium Yo Eddy tribute powder coated black and sported a full authentic Huffy decal set on it. Kind of a form of reverse snobbery- of course still ran all XTR & Grafton with a Tension Disc Pro, lol!
    You are telling me you didn't put the Huffy name on it so nobody would steal it ? !! Lol

If I had some Huffy decals now, I'd have some fun getting picked on and made fun of by rebranding my current bike. Seems like a great conversation starter !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    You are telling me you didn't put the Huffy name on it so nobody would steal it ? !! Lol

If I had some Huffy decals now, I'd have some fun getting picked on and made fun of by rebranding my current bike. Seems like a great conversation starter !!
    Yeah, I wish I had some pics of that. It didn't work in stealth mode for long at all - like until I lined up at the first local midwest race, but it was a hell of a conversation starter. That bike was a monster, blinged out and every bit of 10g's way back then - complete unobtainium weighing in at just over 18 pounds with a real Yo Eddy fork and the Tension Disc and SpeedTrap pedals. The Tension Disc had such an obnoxious rumble to it even during races other riders would hear it coming and just pull off! (Also ran that same disc on a one off Yeti ARC tandem back at Laguna Seca at the first Sea Otter Classic in '91)
    Don't know if you they'd still do it, but I actually just called up Huffy and told them what I wanted to do and the sent me out the decal set at no charge.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I’ll admit, when I was looking to get my first really nice MTB, Yeti definitely had that allure of being a nearly unattainable boutique bike for me. But I was hell-bent on getting a super bike as a 50th birthday gift for myself

Having had the Yeti SB5c now for a couple years now, definitely no regrets! But I’m not a fanboy by any means and can appreciate the fact that people are at least getting out and riding, no matter what brand they’re on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I want some stickers that say Huffy Pro Model 😊
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

banned
    Oct 2019

Brand snobs?

My first two bikes were Cannondales. Third was Scott, so as my current bike is. Someone might think it’s downgrade but I disagree cause they ride better.
    Besides if Scotts are good enough for Nino Schurter and his record victories, who the hell am I to judge?
    Finally, I ride XC, and many of the „hot“ brands do not even have a proper XC bike (Yeti, Evil), or they have XC bikes wanna be trail bikes, SS bikes or whatever (SC, Ibis). And I happen to be XC purist.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    One thing that might help eliminate 90% of the bike models being suggested would be to do some google research on the performance pros and cons of the various rear suspension configurations. There is some really good, simple stuff out there. For a seasoned rider, it should be fairly easy to scratch a few brands off the list. Then, you start looking at geo of what's left. If you don't understand what the various geos might mean, google is your friend. You will see tendencies within a brand or across brands. Once again, it is a process of pros and cons, more specific and more personal in this case. Then, you start looking at builds and pricing of what remains, with an eye open for deals, if that is important to you. The last thing should be the aesthetics. That's where you decide if you want to have not only a ride, but a piece of art, and if you are willing to pay for it. If you can ride the last two or three on the list, and have a shop or shops willing to set the suspension up for you for short test rides, all the better. Just having a bunch of models thrown at you isn't going to get you anywhere. You need process.

banned
    Oct 2019

Brand snobs?

Quote Originally Posted by HHL View Post
    One thing that might help eliminate 90% of the bike models being suggested would be to do some google research on the performance pros and cons of the various rear suspension configurations. There is some really good, simple stuff out there. For a seasoned rider, it should be fairly easy to scratch a few brands off the list. Then, you start looking at geo of what's left. If you don't understand what the various geos might mean, google is your friend. You will see tendencies within a brand or across brands. Once again, it is a process of pros and cons, more specific and more personal in this case. Then, you start looking at builds and pricing of what remains, with an eye open for deals, if that is important to you. The last thing should be the aesthetics. That's where you decide if you want to have not only a ride, but a piece of art, and if you are willing to pay for it. If you can ride the last two or three on the list, and have a shop or shops willing to set the suspension up for you for short test rides, all the better. Just having a bunch of models thrown at you isn't going to get you anywhere. You need process.
    Well, geo was a big part of my decision on Scott Scale. First of all, HT angle is moderately progressive (bike is ok downhill, but still lively in tight turns). The same goes for ST angle (it‘s still steep enough for efficient pedaling uphill).
    Second, chainstays are super short for 29“. They are at 425mm. For example Ghost Lector is 430mm; and Cannondale f-si is 427mm.
    Third, the frame gives very good low geo (good standover hight, for example much better than Cannondale f-si (wich was my second consideration).

Besides the frame is a good balance between laterally stiff and comfortable. Partly because Scale does not have a disc brake mount on seatstay (there is a brake mount adapter that anchors brake caliper to the rear axle instead on the seatstay, wich is simple but genius solution I have not seen anywhere else.

Finally, Scale comes without crazy price sticker for the entry-level model. (where I live, it was 1600€ for Scale (less than 2000$), vs 1700€ for Ghost Lector, and 2000€ for Cannondale f-si. Also since I like simplicity and upgradebility, that was a bit no-no for Cannodale (asymetric rear wheel and crankset, and integrated seatpost collar with 27.2 mm seatpost. And even the rear brake mount on f-si is a flat-mount, while rear axle is not a usual through axle). Still, I have tried f-si, and it rides like a dream, but it is not the most practical solution for me. That being said, I do not claim that my next bike won’t be f-si, but at the moment Scott approach had won me over, and I do not care if someone thinks it‘s less „exotic“ brand or whatever.

Meatbomb
    Buy a Huffy ....

mtbr member
    HAHA, great thread OP! I have to admit there are two brands that I disdain for bike "brand snobbery", those being Ibis and Yeti. Nothing against the bikes nor the companies but more-so against the inordinate amount of poseurs posting in their respective forums... I see more posts like "Doesn't this custom sticker set look great matching my fork to the bike (and my purse)?" and "Look at how much more money I spent on suspension upgrades (that I'm not able to even discern because my wallet is larger than my skillset)!" and "Please validate my bike (and my life)!" kinds of threads. I told myself never in a million years would I buy those brands! Fast forward to my search for a fun fast 29'r trail bike and after a lot of demos I wound up choosing between a Ripmo and an SB130... FML! There are a LOT of better values but those bikes just flat out haul the mail so I caved and have one in my stable (sans any revealing brand stickers of course - DaKine branded now). I'm almost ashamed to go ride the popular trails. Do you know where I can get grips to match my custom colored grease gun and saddle rails? ROFLMAO! First world problems...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    Trek bikes have become outrageously expensive for what you get, in my opinion.
    so have Yetis. They are like the Toyotas of MTB. They work great, ride great, and very reliable. But you pay a premium for reputation.

I just got an Evil Wreckoning frame after demo-ing a Following. The Following has only 120mm I’d squish as compared to the Offering (140mm) and Wreckoning (160mm). My experience with the brand has been the best I’ve ever had. I also have a Trek and the guys at Trek store have been great. But Evil has been above the rest. The LBS dealer and the company. Even sent me some free swag after I called for a question and expressed my positive experience for the brand.

Wvil is still relatively new to the scene by comparison and there are great deals on the bikes in general. Seriously keep them in your considerations, IMO

PS. MTBRs mobile site sucks the biggest balls on the planet!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Opinions are good to get an overall feel for a products rep but in the end they are only personal opinions. With such an important purchase as a bike nothing beats demoing. Nowadays most bikes are pretty capable and you have to just find the one that suits your style. As far as critiques, I tend to either ignore or defend my position with facts . Like the saying goes " opinions are like buttholes "😁.Buy what suits you! You're the 1 who's gonna be paying and riding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrekbek View Post
    so have Yetis. They are like the Toyotas of MTB. They work great, ride great, and very reliable. But you pay a premium for reputation.

I just got an Evil Wreckoning frame after demo-ing a Following. The Following has only 120mm I’d squish as compared to the Offering (140mm) and Wreckoning (160mm). My experience with the brand has been the best I’ve ever had. I also have a Trek and the guys at Trek store have been great. But Evil has been above the rest. The LBS dealer and the company. Even sent me some free swag after I called for a question and expressed my positive experience for the brand.

Wvil is still relatively new to the scene by comparison and there are great deals on the bikes in general. Seriously keep them in your considerations, IMO

PS. MTBRs mobile site sucks the biggest balls on the planet!!!

I demoed the Wreckoning and Offering. Found the Wreckoning to be more playful since it had a shorter Wheelbase. As soon as I decided I would hold out to see what Canfield was going to do, my wife bought the Wreckoning. She's been a Kona 27.5 bike girl for a while but secretly loved the Wreckoning when she rode it lol.

psycho cyclo addict
    There are a lot of nice new bikes out there- most are way too expensive for my T-rex syndrome (deep pockets but very short arms ).

I haven't gone in for more than $2,500 on any of the prolly ten 29er's I've bought and sold over the past decade (all my bike purchases were used). I tended to go for ones that fit well and had the geometry and specs best suited for my riding.

If I had my choice of anything out there, I'd go for an Evil or Santa Cruz FS and custom Titanium fully rigid SS.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Wanna ride bikes?
    IDK where Evil got this reputation of being some high level bike? After working on a couple and servicing pivot bearings, it's a freakin joke. Tiny little bearings that don't last one season. The frame also doesn't have standoffs for the bearings in places, lazy engineering. Then there's the thin paint... Totally unimpressed.

I'm sure it rides nice, but there's a lot more to it than that for me. I'm not spending my money with any company that doesn't put proper time and money into engineering a product that is durable, serviceable, and fun to ride. Also does NOT use proprietary crap that will be obsolete in 2 years.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    HAHA, great thread OP! I have to admit there are two brands that I disdain for bike "brand snobbery", those being Ibis and Yeti. Nothing against the bikes nor the companies but more-so against the inordinate amount of poseurs posting in their respective forums... I see more posts like "Doesn't this custom sticker set look great matching my fork to the bike (and my purse)?" and "Look at how much more money I spent on suspension upgrades (that I'm not able to even discern because my wallet is larger than my skillset)!" and "Please validate my bike (and my life)!" kinds of threads. I told myself never in a million years would I buy those brands! Fast forward to my search for a fun fast 29'r trail bike and after a lot of demos I wound up choosing between a Ripmo and an SB130... FML! There are a LOT of better values but those bikes just flat out haul the mail so I caved and have one in my stable (sans any revealing brand stickers of course - DaKine branded now). I'm almost ashamed to go ride the popular trails. Do you know where I can get grips to match my custom colored grease gun and saddle rails? ROFLMAO! First world problems...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    How is it that buying a top flight bike is perceived so differently in our hobby than equivalent purchases in other hobbies. Should there be a skill test to determine if someone can buy a bike? Maybe car companies can follow the lead. I'm pretty sure Porsche would go out of business if there were such a requirement.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    May 2019
    IDK where Evil got this reputation of being some high level bike? After working on a couple and servicing pivot bearings, it's a freakin joke. Tiny little bearings that don't last one season. The frame also doesn't have standoffs for the bearings in places, lazy engineering. Then there's the thin paint... Totally unimpressed.

I'm sure it rides nice, but there's a lot more to it than that for me. I'm not spending my money with any company that doesn't put proper time and money into engineering a product that is durable, serviceable, and fun to ride. Also does NOT use proprietary crap that will be obsolete in 2 years.

Uh oh. Somebody is mad because his old-lady wouldn’t let him get the bike he REALLY wanted. Lmao. Jk
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrekbek View Post
    Uh oh. Somebody is mad because his old-lady wouldn’t let him get the bike he REALLY wanted. Lmao. Jk
    Lol it looks like that. I'm a Canfield fan boy, the bike was close but not quite what I wanted. The buzz just started for Canfield again so I held off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    How is it that buying a top flight bike is perceived so differently in our hobby than equivalent purchases in other hobbies. Should there be a skill test to determine if someone can buy a bike? Maybe car companies can follow the lead. I'm pretty sure Porsche would go out of business if there were such a requirement.
    HAHA, TRUTH! A buddy has been to Skip Barber's racing school a few times and honestly I would have to agree that you should have some training to drive most of the cars he owns (all well over 500 HP)... including a Carrera GT. I about had a heart attack riding with him!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

the half breed devil
    i ride a $1500 marin and don't give a GGMF what anybody thinks.

ride what you can afford and makes YOU happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ that's it.

Ride what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    It worked pretty well for McLaren, you had to apply for permission to buy a P1, and they sold out!
    https://www.drivingline.com/articles...se-a-hypercar/
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

3 on the tree
    I ride a Yeti, but it's a fourteen-year-old 575 26er. I can assure you, no one is impressed with the headbadge when I'm running into other riders on weekends!
    Smog builds character.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    It worked pretty well for McLaren, you had to apply for permission to buy a P1, and they sold out!
    https://www.drivingline.com/articles...se-a-hypercar/
    That has nothing to do with driving ability and everything to do with weeding out certain buyers. Your average bike company doesn't have that luxury. It's not an uncommon practice with those super rare cars though. If bike companies required everyone who bought one of their top tier rides to say. . .. prove that they are competitive at the expert level they'd not sell very many bikes. I personally don't have any issue with people who have reached a point in their lives where they can afford to drop 10k on a bike doing so. As long as no one is turning up there nose at others who aren't riding boutique bikes I don't see an issue. If someone want's to color coordinate all their bolts and decals I say have at it.
    . . . . . . . .

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamthief View Post
    I ride a Yeti, but it's a fourteen-year-old 575 26er. I can assure you, no one is impressed with the headbadge when I'm running into other riders on weekends!
    IMO those were rad bikes. I'd love to have something like that for riding in the desert.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Dream it, Do it.
    This is a write up about some 120-140mm 29ers that I've ridden in the past year: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...-45-yeti-sb100

I liked the Trail 429 a lot and came pretty close to getting one.

I've also ridden these other bikes this past year:
    • Revel Rascal
    • DeVinci Troy
    • Giant Trance 29
    • Yeti SB130

Of these bikes, I like the Trail 429 for something that works all around. The SB100 (though shorter travel) climbs really well and is surprisingly capable going downhill. Of the bikes that are more capable descenders, the Revel Rascal is probably the most stout feeling of all of these bikes, but doesn't climb as well as some of the others. The carbon layup of the Revel bikes seem especially well tuned for a balance of vertical compliance and lateral stiffness. What I found was that the Revel bikes (Rascal and Rail) were really easy to point and shoot on the trail. The SB130 climbs slightly less well than the Trail 429, but feels like a more substantial bike going downhill.

I will say that especially for pedaling and climbing efficiency, some of the higher priced brands do seem better to me than your typical Specialized, Giant, Trek or Cannondale bikes. Over about a $5,000 price point, I'm not sure that I would consider a Specialized, Giant, Trek or Cannondale. BUT, that is only my opinion.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

banned
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Nothing screams cool like Yeti's 'how to impress your white middle-age upper-middle class friends' image. But seriously, bikes aren't a real status symbol and quality differences are overblown. My newish expensive as shit Santa Cruz creaks like crazy (third I've taken back to the bike shop for creaks), the Fox factory X2 I put on it doesn't equalize like it should, the cutting edge 210mm OneUp dropper rattles because they forgot to apply two layers of electrical tape at the factory (no seriously), and the rear wheel can't go a ride without the spokes loosening. Yeti has had an issue with frame cracks on their SB series bikes. There's nothing special about Yeti, SC, Ibis or whatever other high-end bike brand. The joke is on the bike snobs.
    lol, I've been asking questions about motobecanes and $2K fullsus bikes. Everyone's calling them cheap junk. I check this thread and the owners of the boutique bikes are calling them overpriced junk.

Conclusion: all bikes are junk LMAO!

mtbr member
    You could try riding some bikes and buying what you like...assuming there are some bike shops in SoCal
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Do what makes you happy, is your hard earned cash.
    This.

As for other bikes, After two full seasons and I don't know how many miles, I'm still loving my carbon Smuggler (Transition). If you can get a ride on one, definitely worth the look.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I wouldn't see any issue moving away from Yeti...to anything. The Switch is an over-complicated way of achieving what dual links do and will be heavier with more exotic engineering required ($$$) and less reliability. While it achieves good kinematics, so do canfield, ibis, pivot, evil, and many others, without the sliding stanchions in the rear suspension.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.