Brake Question???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brake Question???

Not really 29'er specific but I figured that this was by far the most intelligent Forum . I am doing a new build and I am trying to keep cost down. That being said I am going w/ Avid BB7's and I am wondering what the main difference is between the FR5 Levers/Speed Dial 7's /Speed Dial SL's. I have a feeling that the only real difference between the Speed 7's & the Speed SL's is a few grams. I basically want to know if there is a braking power difference between the FR5's and the Speed anythings. Also, I don't really need OTF adjustment so I am thinking of going with the FR5's unless they are weaker or they are just plain crappy.

Many Thanks,

PF

mtbr member
    I've used numerous pairs of FR5 levers with BB7 and SD7 V-brakes. They feel really good and I don't notice any loss of power. I actually prefer their feel to the speed dial levers. I think they're lighter too. I only stopped using them when I got upgrade fever and got some Paul's Love Levers for my BB7s. The Paul's aren't any better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I prefer the SD levers, I like the extra adjustment options to get better modulation. FR5's work fine though and SL levers perform the same as SD7's, it's correct that they're just lighter.

Members who have read this thread: 0