bonty 29-3- Mtbr.com

Thread: bonty 29-3

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

bonty 29-3

Ok anyone who has used these babies, are they slow? I am not talking weight, so much, but tire durometer, etc. I am looking for a tough, fast tire, a bit bigger than a tnt/ust saguaro, faster rolling than a Dissent. Thanks Jefe

No longer 26
    I have about 12-15 hours on them. I have them on my FS Supercaliber. I think they roll plenty fast, have great traction and good volume. Seem to hook up well on hardpack, loose over hard, and wet trails. Have not "mudded" them yet. It will be the only tire that I run up front and will run it on the rear most of the time as well except in some races where nothing more than a hard-pack tire is needed. Then I will run an SB8 or XR-1 on the rear. Bontrager ACX traction, Jones XR speed, and volume in between is a fair assessment I think.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I have about 12-15 hours on them. I have them on my FS Supercaliber. I think they roll plenty fast, have great traction and good volume. Seem to hook up well on hardpack, loose over hard, and wet trails. Have not "mudded" them yet. It will be the only tire that I run up front and will run it on the rear most of the time as well except in some races where nothing more than a hard-pack tire is needed. Then I will run an SB8 or XR-1 on the rear. Bontrager ACX traction, Jones XR speed, and volume in between is a fair assessment I think.

G

Non-TLR Team Editions run tubeless on Bonty Mustang TLR rims. 620 or so grams each. 2.25's front and rear
    Last edited by G-Live; 12-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Very nice tire, my Fav 29er tire so far, very good on the front, positive steering and seems to quicken up the steering nicely to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I run them on my '10 X-cal. I'm also running the 29-3 designed for the "front" on both front and rear of my bike. I think the TLR's the 29-3s are front/rear specific.

I'm running the 29-3, TLR 2.25's both front and rear (Tubeless).

And yes, compared to my stock XDX's running tubes, they are much slower on hardpack. However, the trade off is much better traction in a variety of conditions. Rock, mud, soft dirt, off canter treads have all been thrown at the 29-3s and they have performed very well. They'll be my next tire, too, after these wear out. I'm very pleased with the 29-3's, so far.

Keep in mind that I don't race, and I'm pretty tough on tires, mostly because I lack skill.

CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have them on my 2010 Rumblefish 1. I absolutely love this tire. I had the non-TLR version that came stock on my bike converted to tubeless, but I gashed a sidewall a couple days ago. I replaced that tire with a TLR version of the 29-3, and I picked up another TLR version for whenever I need to replace the other stock tire. I run the 2.25 version "front" on both front and rear.

Very confidence inspiring when you lay it over in the turns - it hooks up so well. Great volume. Climbs great, can't say enough about this tire.

Plastic homer
    Best front tire out there IMHO. I use it on both the carbon fully and SS with XDX rears (I'll be trying the 29-2 in that role soon). Effortless tubeless set up on Bonty RXL wheels ( I use the TE TLRs) and have had no issue with the rocks, and I hit plenty!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i have a set of take-offs from a new trek sawyer that i wanna get rid off. only ridden out of the bike shop and to my car to be loaded up and taken home. got the bike yeterday and took the tires off this morning. let me know if you are interested.

formerly Giantxc
    I have the non-TLR Team Issue and have a few rides on it. It's comparable in size to the Ardent 2.25, but corners a bit more consistently than the Ardent it replaced (which has an odd point where it seems to lose grip before regaining it). I haven't tried the rear yet but plan to next year (not sure it will make a good winter tire).

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    I have the non-TLR Team Issue and have a few rides on it. It's comparable in size to the Ardent 2.25, but corners a bit more consistently than the Ardent it replaced (which has an odd point where it seems to lose grip before regaining it). I haven't tried the rear yet but plan to next year (not sure it will make a good winter tire).

I rode them on some snow covered trails where there had been a decent amount of fattie fat tire bikes ridden on the trail. Seemed to hook up in those conditions too.
    G
    Last edited by G-Live; 12-22-2010 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrage_2
    i have a set of take-offs from a new trek sawyer that i wanna get rid off. only ridden out of the bike shop and to my car to be loaded up and taken home. got the bike yeterday and took the tires off this morning. let me know if you are interested.

Note that the tires that come on the Sawyer are wire-bead, non-tubeless.

-r

The Knights Who Say "Ni"
    Jun 2006
    -1 for me. I ran these for about two weeks...Didn't care for them. Switched over to Captains 2bliss

mtbr member
    I ran one on the back of my rigid SS this past spring. Traction was OK and they rolled pretty well. I was underwelmed by the volume though, small for a 2.25. I switched it out for a Nobby Nic and like that much better. Bigger volume, lighter, and better traction, but rolls a bit slower. I will take that tradoff anytime on a singlespeed.

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like a somewhat more aggressive front tire for endurance racing than many, and I found the 29-3 to be the best combination of good traction and good speed of all that I have tried.

Example: An IRC Fire has a bit more bite, but is a bit slower, while a Racing Ralph is a bit faster, but has much less bite.

When the tire does start to give away, it seems gradual, unlike the Captain mentioned above, which has really good bite, but when it lets go, it gives little or no "drift" warning.
    Whining is not a strategy.

davidcarson48
    I've run Captain Controls 2.2 and 29-3 2.25 TLRs over the past year. Overall both are great all-purpose tires. Both work well in a variety of conditions.

I found the Captains to be slightly faster rolling than the 29-3s. Traction on most surfaces is pretty close. The 29-3s shed mud better than the Captains. The Captains seem to have a little stronger sidewalls for rocky terrian but the 29-3 tread lasts a little longer.

I plan on trying a 29-3 up front with a Captain rear in the spring.

Members who have read this thread: 0