Bontrager Race xxx lite crank sheered- Mtbr.com
    Weight Maniac

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bontrager Race xxx lite crank sheered

This was the crank which I upgraded to on my Superfly. Check it out now:

I was riding on the street about a mile from my house and I was waiting for the light to turn green at a busy intersection. I think I was in my large front ring when the light turned green and I accelerated very hard as I have a habit of trying to beat the cars to the 100 yard mark. About three pedal strokes in I felt an instant lack of resistance and fell forward toward the toptube but caught myself before getting railed...if you know what I mean. I smacked the ever luvin begeezers of the inside of my left knee against the top tube an bruised it pretty badly. I recovered within a second or so, looked down and saw the chain on the middle ring and continued on. I was a little bit embarrassed because there were so many people and a couple of gals on the sidewalk corner that saw the whole thing. I even heard them say Ohhhhh! as they probably assumed that I did bottom out my package on the top tube...lol

I actually rode and continued on not realizing that there was any problem. The chainring had wedged itself in some way that it was fairly straight and somewhat tight against load. Since I didn't realize what happened until looking at it later that night I really don't know what position it was wedged in. I accidentally discovered the problem because I shifted to the small ring and then the assembly loosened up.

To say the least I was surprised and bummed. I called the LBS and told them what happened and sent them a dozen pictures or so. I'm confident that Trek/Fisher will take care of me as it should be a warranty issue. I'm guessing it was just a fluke but I thought I post my experience and hear your comments or questions.

One more close up pic:

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    That's badass!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot222
    ....Ohhhhh! as they probably assumed that I did bottom out my package on the top tube....
    Just thank your lucky stars the wedding vegetables are intact
    Brisbane, AU

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    That's badass!

Plus one! You have rock-solid crank-crushing thighs of manly steel!

Now go drink a beer, lay off the bike for a while, and let the rest of us mere mortals catch up.

Team Awesome
    That sucks. One expensive piece of fancy plastic down the tubes. Will bonty warranty it? Would you take it if they'd give you a new one?

mtbr member
    Ohhhh, you are a lucky guy.. kind of. It looks like the Chain ring bolts are Shimano and the crank comes with.... Not really sure actually. Did you measure the tightness if/when you remove/installed the rings.

Bontrager will most likely warranty the crank, but will you keep it?
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm almost willing to put money on the fact that Bonty will warranty it, I've had nothing but good warranty experiences from them. That is definitely one sweet piece of crankset. A friend of mine has them and absolutely loves them. They look way better on the superfly than the stock ones do, probably because of the white. Anyway, enjoy your replacements, and check torque specs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To much powah.sweet set of cranks.I betting they don't warranty the set.they arent original rings,or chainring bolts.If they werent installed by a shop within torque specs they will pass on the warranty.Thats freakin sweet that you broke them under power on the street.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Those are original rings.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    That's badass!

LOL!!!!! yes, it does have a certain cool factor ...lol, even though I don't have a replacement crank and I'm bummed.

BigWheeler
    Plus one! You have rock-solid crank-crushing thighs of manly steel!

Now go drink a beer, lay off the bike for a while, and let the rest of us mere mortals catch up.
    Dude...that's too funny........ROFL. I got a kick out of that. I'm not a big guy at 165lbs but I am a sprinting fool back from my road racing days. I always seem to accelerate like a rocket because I can't teach myself not to. Part of me is actually wondering if this isn't a fluke and I really did fatigue it because of my riding style. I really to hope that's not the case though.

Playpunk
    That sucks. One expensive piece of fancy plastic down the tubes. Will bonty warranty it? Would you take it if they'd give you a new one?

It does suck because I purchased that crank as part of my special project. I really believe they'll warranty it. I know the Trek rep. and he's a good guy. Obviously it didn't happen because of any abuse and I didn't smack the chainring or anything. As you can see, all the teeth on the big ring are perfect.

getout87
    I'm almost willing to put money on the fact that Bonty will warranty it, I've had nothing but good warranty experiences from them. That is definitely one sweet piece of crankset. A friend of mine has them and absolutely loves them. They look way better on the superfly than the stock ones do, probably because of the white. Anyway, enjoy your replacements, and check torque specs.
    I'm with you. I don't think I'll run into any warranty argument about this. It's a fairly straight forward failure. I did love the crank before it broke. It's light, didn't flex much, and looks great. The LBS said that they have never seen or heard of such a thing with this crank. I go through my bike almost every ride to make sure things are snug. They always are but I check anyway. I'm not sure why exactly it happened but I don't think it was because of incorrect torque-age.

bigfish
    Ohhhh, you are a lucky guy.. kind of. It looks like the Chain ring bolts are Shimano and the crank comes with.... Not really sure actually. Did you measure the tightness if/when you remove/installed the rings.

Bontrager will most likely warranty the crank, but will you keep it?
    Everything was snug with a mechanic's hand torque...yes that's general, but after 25+ years of this stuff you get a feel for it. Sure, I'll keep the crank and give it another try. If it I break another one and hopefully it doesn't cause a crash, I'll be looking for a cash reimbursement of some type and I go with something else.

roady
    To much powah.sweet set of cranks.I betting they don't warranty the set.they arent original rings,or chainring bolts.If they werent installed by a shop within torque specs they will pass on the warranty.Thats freakin sweet that you broke them under power on the street.
    lol....that's the only funny part about this incident isn't it...lol. We'll actually the rings are stock. This particular crank comes with those and it's part of the reason they're so expensive. The chainring bolts are aluminum Shimano which are not factory but either were the Stronglite ring bolts that Bonty matched with the crank. They'd really have to be hard nosed to stand with that argument. I really don't think they're going to make an issue out of this to be honest. The carbon sheered plain and simple, the shards are pointed and sweeping back in the direction that it sheered which sorta erases any doubt about what direction the load was from. Hopefully my confidence in their ability to resolve this isn't misplaced. We'll see...and I'll let you guys know.
    Last edited by Patriot222; 03-30-2008 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    my bad.didnt really pay that close attention to that detail.who knows,you might get lucky.

The Dog.
    Is it really that much lighter than an XTR M970? If so, is it worth it? Ah the life of a weight weenie...

Just out of curiousity...are you the same "Patriot" as the one over at bikeforums.net who has a pimped pedal force bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    should warranty I would think...yeah XXX and some other light cranks are just a bit too much off for me...go XTR next time. Only 7g heavier (system weight), and people DH with those....c'mon. Hopefully just defect though.

mtbr member
    A shimano XTR M970 is 797.7g on my scale (thats with the three BB spacers and 175mm length) and a Bontrager XXX lite crank is 557.0g and an American Classic BB is 153.4g.

Works out to be 87.3g lighter, you can make the call if its worth it.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    new forum name "ZCottageOfWattage"
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish
    A shimano XTR M970 is 797.7g on my scale (thats with the three BB spacers and 175mm length) and a Bontrager XXX lite crank is 557.0g and an American Classic BB is 153.4g.

Works out to be 87.3g lighter, you can make the call if its worth it.
    Gosh...considering all of the woes with the older AC hubs, I'd think their BB's might be trouble as well (though no experience).

I'm making the call...I'd stick to XTR (assuming I could afford either one).

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Is it really that much lighter than an XTR M970? If so, is it worth it? Ah the life of a weight weenie...

Just out of curiousity...are you the same "Patriot" as the one over at bikeforums.net who has a pimped pedal force bike?

The combo weight of the xxxlite crank and american classic BB are about a 85 grams lighter than the XTR set-up

Nope....that must be a different Patriot. : ) This is the only bike forum that I regularly post on.
    Last edited by Patriot222; 03-30-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Gosh...considering all of the woes with the older AC hubs, I'd think their BB's might be trouble as well (though no experience).

I'm making the call...I'd stick to XTR (assuming I could afford either one).

The AC BB seems to be built well and has been trouble free. It's also a cro-mo steel axle but they use the split ring set-up which they've patented. It reduces the weight where it doesn't matter and keeps the steel where it does matter. I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by Patriot222; 03-30-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    should warranty I would think...yeah XXX and some other light cranks are just a bit too much off for me...go XTR next time. Only 7g heavier (system weight), and people DH with those....c'mon. Hopefully just defect though.
    Actually the difference between my current set-up and XTR is about 85 grams. If they give me a replacement, which they probably will, I'm just going to use it. If it fails again, then I'll make the change. My opinion is that this was a fluke from the response I've had from the LBS and googling forums.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail29er
    new forum name "ZCottageOfWattage"
    I guess so.....

mtbr member
    I am happy to see that you were not injured Patriot222. I have to believe that Trek will replace the cranks.

Although it must have taken considerable force to do this, I hope (for your sake) the failure is partly due to a faulty crank.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Warranty or not, that looks like a good way to get hurt really bad. Glad you didn't go over the bars and spill out into traffic.

Shining example of why I have no carbon bits on my bike.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I am happy to see that you were not injured Patriot222. I have to believe that Trek will replace the cranks.

Although it must have taken considerable force to do this, I hope (for your sake) the failure is partly due to a faulty crank.
    Thanks serious It never really occurred to me until afterwards but I also practice a lot of high speed sprints, usually one or two per street ride. I was thankful that it let go while I was still under 10 mph and I think that's the main reason that I didn't have a burly get-off.

I just got and answer from the Trek rep. through my LBS contact and he said that I could have my choice between a new xxxlite or new XTR crank. Although I'm tempted to get another xxxlite I'm leaning toward the XTR now. My guess is that the crank had some sort of fault...possibly at the microscopic level and the chances of it happening again are slim. Because I do put some power down and I do it frequently I'm thinking that I'd rather not take another chance, just in case this happened purely because of me. On the plus side the XTR will be a little bit more stiff which suits my type of riding.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Warranty or not, that looks like a good way to get hurt really bad. Glad you didn't go over the bars and spill out into traffic.

Shining example of why I have no carbon bits on my bike.

That was certainly a possibility but fortunately it happened within about 3 pedals strokes from the stop or maybe about 10mph. Usually when I leave that light I make a 200-300meter sprint out of it. I'm thankful that it didn't happen when I was top-ending because I don't think I could have saved it to be honest. You're just not ready when something like that happens...ya know.

The Trek rep is giving me a choice between a new Bonty or new XTR. I think I'll go XTR this time, just in case it wasn't a fluke and just due to my riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, just get an XTR.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Yeah, just get an XTR.
    Sounds good to me.

Just here for the scenery
    The Trek rep is giving me a choice between a new Bonty or new XTR. I think I'll go XTR this time, just in case it wasn't a fluke and just due to my riding.
    Nice... hard to complain about that.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Wow..... you should be racing track putting out that sort of wattage... well, that or not riding carbon. :-)

Living the thug life.
    I did the same thing on the first pedal stroke of a local TT. They were out of the XXX lite cranks, so now I am rolling on XTR's. Noticably stiffer. I do believe that the XXX lite cranks are simply relabeled Stronglite cranks.

Get the XTR's.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'd go with the XTR, too. I think just the memory of the Bonti snapping would be enough to make me think twice whenever I went to crank hard -- not something that you want to have in your mind.

However, whenever anyone compliments the XTRs you need to be sure to tell them how your massive manliness crushed the puny girls cranks that you had on before!

(Note: I actually like the Bontis, but don't let the truth get in the way of your smack talk. )

Mar 2008

Possible grounds for denial of claim...

Just wondering...did the cranks come stock with Shimano alloy chainring bolts? It probably wouldn't have made a difference, but you never know...

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaris26
    Just wondering...did the cranks come stock with Shimano alloy chainring bolts? It probably wouldn't have made a difference, but you never know...
    No, they were steal stronglight's and obviously came with the ringset that Bontrager collaborated with.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri
    I did the same thing on the first pedal stroke of a local TT. They were out of the XXX lite cranks, so now I am rolling on XTR's. Noticably stiffer. I do believe that the XXX lite cranks are simply relabeled Stronglite cranks.

Get the XTR's.

Ah...no, actually the cranks really are made by Bontrager and the rings really are made by Stronglight. It's a collaboration effort with the goal of making a high quality racing part. Obviously the crank was the weak link in this case though.

Are you saying that you also broke an xxxlite crank? I'd really like to see your pictures...

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheeler
    I'd go with the XTR, too. I think just the memory of the Bonti snapping would be enough to make me think twice whenever I went to crank hard -- not something that you want to have in your mind.

However, whenever anyone compliments the XTRs you need to be sure to tell them how your massive manliness crushed the puny girls cranks that you had on before!

(Note: I actually like the Bontis, but don't let the truth get in the way of your smack talk. )

Like you stated, I'd rather not have breaking crank spiders looming in back of my mind when I'm on the throttle...lol.

I'm laughing at the "puny girl cranks" comment.......LOL!!!! Will do....will do

Believe it or not, I actually still like the xxxlite also. I'm bummed that it broke...it could have been a flaw, but yeah they felt good and didn't have much flex, they were very light and I thought they looked great too. Honestly....I'll probably miss them a little bit but better to miss them then have something like this happen again, especially since I spent so much time hammering.

Living the thug life.
    Ah...no, actually the cranks really are made by Bontrager and the rings really are made by Stronglight. It's a collaboration effort with the goal of making a high quality racing part. Obviously the crank was the weak link in this case though.

Are you saying that you also broke an xxxlite crank? I'd really like to see your pictures...
    I won't bother with pics, but it looks exactlylike yours. I don't want people to get the wrong idea on bontrager parts. I am definitely a huge fan of bontrager parts, just not those cranks. Their Race X-lite cranks are super tough as well, but not nearly as light.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Aluminum too...

I did the same thing to a White Industries crank a while back. Cranking my single speed up a hill, it felt like the chain snapped. When I got off the ground I pushed the bike up the hill and checked it out. Like yours, the chainring rotated and caught back onto the spider. Looked fine, so I got back on and rode. Next hill I was on the ground again. It was a long walk back to the car.
    I don't think I could ever trust carbon cranks.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by iPaul(c)
    I did the same thing to a White Industries crank a while back. Cranking my single speed up a hill, it felt like the chain snapped. When I got off the ground I pushed the bike up the hill and checked it out. Like yours, the chainring rotated and caught back onto the spider. Looked fine, so I got back on and rode. Next hill I was on the ground again. It was a long walk back to the car.
    I don't think I could ever trust carbon cranks.

I'll bet you were ticked off walking back to your vehicle. If mine would have been un-rideable I could have at least skate board pushed off the curb and coasted back home. I think there are great carbon designs out there but if there is any imperfection it seems to reveal itself. From what I've gathered, the Subaru team is using my crank and they love it. I think they would have seen some failures if it was just a design thing. Oh well, back to XTR I go.

mtbr member
    I use the XTR for my SS and really like it. It is definitely tough!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

... I guess you won't be
    maybe try some metal cranks next time, instead of the chinese plastic ones....

Cassoulet forever !
    looks like insufficient torque applied on the bolts to me.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Feb 2007

Not the first

143 punds on a full suspension off a small 2' drop on a cross country trail. These have been replaced by the Bontrager GPX carbon cranks.
    Last edited by stork; 04-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    looks like insufficient torque applied on the bolts to me.

It's possible that you missed it, but if you read the whole thread you'll see that wasn't the case. My bike hardly goes two rides without going through it mechanically. When I check the crank spindle bolts I always check the ring bolts too....I've never found them to be loose.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by stork
    143 punds on a full suspension off a small 2' drop on a cross country trail. These have been replaced by the Bontrager GPX carbon cranks.

Stork, what part of the crank failed? Was it the left side or the right side? Did the crank slip or crank at the spindle? Do you have any more detailed pictures? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really interested.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    damn.. they are sexy cranks. An to think I returned mine to the shop because I couldn't get the rings to shift for the life of me. Glad I did. Too bad..they are damn sexy.

I'll throw in my recommendation for the new XTR..or the new FSA carbons..the 3x9 FSA carbons are nice and just as heavy as XTR (just under 800g complete)
    My shop just got me the new 2x9 FSA cranks, they come in at 712g complete.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Man, that looks just like what happened to a set of Time ASX Titan cranks on my road bike last year. All 5 of the carbon tabs sheared off when I stood to sprint up a hill. Luckily I managed not to crash and kill myself. Strange enough, Stronglight makes the cranks for Time. I know the Stronglight Pulsion cranks were having the exact same problem. Glad you didn't get hurt!

Weight Maniac
    That's a good one briscoe You managed to do it on a five spider huh. After peering at the design for hours on my on crank, I can see where there is potential for weakness with carbon. All these carbon crank manufacturers have just taken a design right from alloy cranks and applied it to carbon, as least with regard to how the rings attach. In my mind, there is a big door open for a new carbon specific design to eliminate this issue while still providing a much stronger assembly.

Throughout this thread I've cracked up and the "cheap plastic cranks" or "get a metal one" remarks and just get a huge kick of laughter from it. They'll accept 1000 instances of new technology every day in their lives but then argue that "carbon sucks cause metal rules." We'll the facts is that carbon is still stronger and still lighter. All we have to do is look at the racing world in any sport and it's often dominated by this material. The entire aerospace world is slowing coming to rely on carbon and the Boeing 787 will use carbon wings and other components which will reduce weight about 30,000 lbs. Even the Shimano XTR that people love so much with eventually be carbon, I give it 6-8 years only because they're traditional.

What we need are new designs which take advantage of carbon's strengths while continuing to perfect manufacturing consistences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There was simply not enough material in the spider tabs to withstand the force. There is nothing wrong with carbon spider tabs, but they do have to be engineered right. I have switched to Campy Record and have had no problems.

Let's ride
    There are many many sets of those Time cranks that have exploded in the same manner. I wonder if all these cranks are really made by Stronglight.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    There was simply not enough material in the spider tabs to withstand the force. There is nothing wrong with carbon spider tabs, but they do have to be engineered right. I have switched to Campy Record and have had no problems.
    I agree, it's a poor design for carbon. It will be interesting to see how they overcome that weakness in the future. Thanks for posting your pictures.

HTFU and Ride
    you are a beast
    Winter is coming.

Feb 2007

Better explaination

The left crank failed. There is (was in my case) a bonded spline inside the crank arm. This bonded piece which couples to the bottom bracket spindle actually "spun" inside the carbon arm. This picture should explain it well.
    Last edited by stork; 04-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by stork
    The left crank failed. There is (was in my case) a bonded spline inside the crank arm. This bonded piece which couples to the bottom bracket spindle actually "spun" inside the carbon arm. This picture should explain it well.

Ahh, yep. That pretty much explains the heck out of it. That absolutely sucks dude! Especially given the fact that you're on a FS. It's kinda funny that we've got two separate failure categories with this crank now. I wonder if there are any Xlite failures?

just ride
    like i always say, they couldnt engineer their way out of a cardboard box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    like i always say, they couldnt engineer their way out of a cardboard box.

Smoking intelligent comment... since it was a bontrager crank. Did you also see the TIME crank that had the same thing happen?

Apr 2007
    This was the crank which I upgraded to on my Superfly. Check it out now:

I was riding on the street about a mile from my house and I was waiting for the light to turn green at a busy intersection. I think I was in my large front ring when the light turned green and I accelerated very hard as I have a habit of trying to beat the cars to the 100 yard mark. About three pedal strokes in I felt an instant lack of resistance and fell forward toward the toptube but caught myself before getting railed...if you know what I mean. I smacked the ever luvin begeezers of the inside of my left knee against the top tube an bruised it pretty badly. I recovered within a second or so, looked down and saw the chain on the middle ring and continued on. I was a little bit embarrassed because there were so many people and a couple of gals on the sidewalk corner that saw the whole thing. I even heard them say Ohhhhh! as they probably assumed that I did bottom out my package on the top tube...lol

I actually rode and continued on not realizing that there was any problem. The chainring had wedged itself in some way that it was fairly straight and somewhat tight against load. Since I didn't realize what happened until looking at it later that night I really don't know what position it was wedged in. I accidentally discovered the problem because I shifted to the small ring and then the assembly loosened up.

To say the least I was surprised and bummed. I called the LBS and told them what happened and sent them a dozen pictures or so. I'm confident that Trek/Fisher will take care of me as it should be a warranty issue. I'm guessing it was just a fluke but I thought I post my experience and hear your comments or questions.

One more close up pic:

you actually trusted Bontrager- Braver man tha I.

just ride

Smoking intelligent comment... since it was a bontrager crank.
    Yup, and it is the same engineers. Obviously, all cranks break, but this is just F-in spectacular!

Weight Maniac
    Yup, and it is the same engineers. Obviously, all cranks break, but this is just F-in spectacular!

I'm not sure if it's the same engineers or not but Bontrager has been very supportive of this failure. I don't know if you read the whole thread or not but the Trek rep. is replacing the crank for me, no questions asked. Also the crank project manager for Bontrager contacted me as was very interested in what happened. He asked where my LBS store was and is in contact with the Trek rep. He's going to have the failed crank sent over to his team that they could inspect it and figure out what went wrong.

I'd like to know how many companies respond the way the Trek/Fisher/Bontrager has just because a nobody like me posted a few pictures on a forum. I can't imagine a bicycle company more aware and involved in the cycling sport than these guys. They've been outstanding at every junction.

Failed crank or not, thumbs up to the Bontrager team for superior customer service.

just ride
    I'm not sure if it's the same engineers or not but Bontrager has been very supportive of this failure. I don't know if you read the whole thread or not but the Trek rep. is replacing the crank for me, no questions asked. Also the crank project manager for Bontrager contacted me as was very interested in what happened. He asked where my LBS store was and is in contact with the Trek rep. He's going to have the failed crank sent over to his team that they could inspect it and figure out what went wrong.

I'd like to know how many companies respond the way the Trek/Fisher/Bontrager has just because a nobody like me posted a few pictures on a forum. I can't imagine a bicycle company more aware and involved in the cycling sport than these guys. They've been outstanding at every junction.

Failed crank or not, thumbs up to the Bontrager team for superior customer service.

Oh yes. They have good customer service, I will give them that! Fast warranties, and good communication. It is just a shame they cant make stuff that doesnt break in the first place. Their fast warranty department is what keeps them going. If they had the breakage rates they do, as well as slow warranty, they would be out of business.

no fat chicks
    so did trek really pull your dealership or what

Oh yes. They have good customer service, I will give them that! Fast warranties, and good communication. It is just a shame they cant make stuff that doesnt break in the first place. Their fast warranty department is what keeps them going. If they had the breakage rates they do, as well as slow warranty, they would be out of business.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

|i|
    Did that once in '00 with the first edition of the Truvativ Stylo, back when they first came out. I was trackstanding at a stoplight and when it turned green I put on the gas to beat the traffic and the R crank arm exploded...snapped right in half.

Gotta admit, I kind felt like a badass at the time.

That crank was a piece of sh*t. The square taper was rounded and I could never keep it tight. To their credit, Truvativ replaced it, no questions asked.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    I dont own a dealership, I just used to work for other Trek dealers several years ago. What a pain......

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by robotkiller
    Did that once in '00 with the first edition of the Truvativ Stylo, back when they first came out. I was trackstanding at a stoplight and when it turned green I put on the gas to beat the traffic and the R crank arm exploded...snapped right in half.

Gotta admit, I kind felt like a badass at the time.

LOL!!! How could you not....right!? Snapping an arm is pretty killer...

Glad that they replaced it for you .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    clarification, he works at a former Fisher dealership that had their dealership yanked, and then it was given to their closest competition up the street.

they are a Specialized dealer in a huge Trek/Fisher area, and they probably sell 20-30 bikes max per year. what an "expert"

he's just bitter, and it shows. ignore his Fisher bashing posts.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    clarification, he works at a former Fisher dealership that had their dealership yanked, and then it was given to their closest competition up the street.

they are a Specialized dealer in a huge Trek/Fisher area, and they probably sell 20-30 bikes max per year. what an "expert"

he's just bitter, and it shows. ignore his Fisher bashing posts.
    Incorrect. I didnt worked there at that time. I worked for many other Fisher dealerships throughout Wisconsin, and I simply honestly prefer to deal with other companies. I do dislike Fisher, but nothing to do with who I currently work for. I chose to work where I do because they DONT sell Fisher. I was actually offered a job first at the Fisher dealer, and turned it down because of having to deal with Trek/Fisher again.

And Ive sold more than your estimate in the past two months, so nice try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Like many have said....be thankful you didnt hurt yourself.

Sprinting at about 30 mph on my road bike, my chain snapped, which has about the same effect as your crank breaking. I swerved, edged the curb and planted my face on the sidewalk. A little plastic surgery later, all is well and its a great story.

Its food for thought, an 87 gram difference for carbon in a structural position isnt worth it, in my opinion. Its a bit dramatic, but these little things can cause serious, even fatal accidents.

no fat chicks
    ha ha
    so do you get pissed when fisher riders do really good at the chequamegon 40
    no wait you're probably best buds with them
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

just ride
    ha ha
    so do you get pissed when fisher riders do really good at the chequamegon 40
    no wait you're probably best buds with them
    No, actually that is really good. Fisher geometries are nice to ride, and I like them. I just wish the company could make a frame to last longer than a year. Until then, I will try to steer people in the right direction.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimon
    Like many have said....be thankful you didnt hurt yourself.

Sprinting at about 30 mph on my road bike, my chain snapped, which has about the same effect as your crank breaking. I swerved, edged the curb and planted my face on the sidewalk. A little plastic surgery later, all is well and its a great story.

Its food for thought, an 87 gram difference for carbon in a structural position isnt worth it, in my opinion. Its a bit dramatic, but these little things can cause serious, even fatal accidents.

I don't even know how to respond. Um..sorry man! That's pretty terrible. I'm glad that you bounced back from such a severe wreck though.

I was on the road bike two days ago at the same intersection where my crank sheered. I was trying to make the green light, which I did. I looked down at the computer and topped out at 38 mph on the other side. I would definitely not want mechanical at that point.

Eeek....your story scared me some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That is crazy! Two years ago on an aluminum road FSA crank I sheered the bb into two pieces (it was ISIS) and cracked the center of the crank arm. I went over the bars and instead of putting my arms out I held onto the shifters and dislocated my pinkie knuckle and bashed my face and shoulder pretty badly so you are definitely lucky.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by quickfeet18
    That is crazy! Two years ago on an aluminum road FSA crank I sheered the bb into two pieces (it was ISIS) and cracked the center of the crank arm. I went over the bars and instead of putting my arms out I held onto the shifters and dislocated my pinkie knuckle and bashed my face and shoulder pretty badly so you are definitely lucky.

That's too bad man....I'm sorry that happened to you.

What's interesting is that according to the "experts" that kind of thing never happens to aluminum....lol I love it because if you continue to press them in argument eventually it turns into...."well I mean aluminum Shimano cranks" then you show them a model of Shimano that failed and it's......."well I only ride XTR." So basically their is one good crank in the world and they have it.....lol. Ya gotta love it.

Weight Maniac
    Almost forgot. I picked up my bike today with new crank. I looks great and the BB is a bit more ridged than the ISIS was. I'm very happy with it!

Weight Maniac
    After putting about 50 miles on the new xtr cranks I've very impressed with the stiffness in the BB. I notice that when I'm really putting the power down that the rings have less movement in relation to the frt der. I kinda sensitive to how everything flexes during a sprint and I'm happy with the change to XTR.

Couple more pics:

Bike with previous crank:

Bike with new crank:

I like the machined look of the XTR better I think.

Thanks Trek/Bontrager for excellent customer service!

mtbr member
    I run the XTR on my Ti Ss 29er. Weigh 190 and the BB / crank is the stiffest I've ridden. Love the fact of minimal wasted energy.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Weight Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    I run the XTR on my Ti Ss 29er. Weigh 190 and the BB / crank is the stiffest I've ridden. Love the fact of minimal wasted energy.

I agree! It's never fun to see to top of your chain line moving inward and outward as you're killing it up a hill. I'm only 165ish so I don't move these XTR's around too much...even when I'm trying to kill it.

Members who have read this thread: 0