Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2

Just scored a free set of the non-tubeless older version. I like the ACX tubeless ready version set up tubeless. Curious as to how the non-tubeless version will perform converted to tubeless.

holy schfincter..
    Never tried converting them to tubeless, but I'm running an ACX 2.2 on the front of my orbea. Works well under most conditions. Had one on rear for a while too, but not impressed, switched to a XR 2.2 on the rear and really like that combo fwiw.

mtbr member
    I have mine converted tubeless on Mustang rims with the Bontager rim strips. I did have trouble getting the bead to seat and needed a compressor to do so. I have had no issues with them since setting them up and have found them to perform admirably. I'm running 24psi front, and 26 psi rear which is about 4 psi less than with tubes. I'm 155 pds. I'm going to go with the TLR version next time. Not having a compressor at home, it's a pain running down to the gas station to set up the tires. I hope that the TLR version is easier to set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ran a non-TLR version tubless on the rear with Arch rims, it has worked great all summer. Ran ~26-28 psi for my ~170ish lbs.

Caveat - I did have a problem during a VERY rocky race when I had some type of failure, put a tube in after the race. Investigation has been wierd, it felt like I tore a hole in it, but sidewalls and tread look fine. I attribute the failure to either a burp from too little pressure, or a failure of the valve stem. Been riding the same tire w/ a tube since that race (~1 month) haven't bothered trying to convert it back.

mtbr member
    I've run ACX 2.2s with tubes and tubeless on my Bonti rims with rim strips. Overall it is a much better tire tubeless IMO. FYI, I weigh 180 and run them at 28/30 psi. The only way to get these bad boys to seat with a floor pump is to wet the bead with soapy water and inflate with a tube. Then pop one bead and pull out the tube. Insert the stem and blah blah blah. There are loads of threads covering the procedure. Bottom line, I like to run these tubeless with Stans.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Only ran them with tubes, but were not all that great for the trails by me in NJ (typical Northeast trails wet, rocky, rooty, etc). Lots of pinch flats with tubes which I imagine you would avoid by converting with tubeless. Give 'em go, tubeless might be the way to go with these.
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

mtbr member

My non-TLR ACX...

is set up tubeless and has been the energizer tire for me: it just keeps going.... I had heard taht it has thin sidewalls and isn't good in rocky situations ... but this thing has been solid. I run it at 26-28 psi, I weigh 175 and run it on front with a Fox fork...

I've flatted several tough TLR (XDX, XR, Kenda Nev...) tires but this one has outlived them all. I'd thought about putting a Captain up front (currently liking the one in the back...) and looking at other tires - but this one just keeps going. I know I've probably just given this tire the kiss of death for my trip this weekend now... (South Boundary Trail near Taos, NM) but I'd get another one without much thought.

It's not a particularly fast roller - but it handles the loose, dry conditions well and when I finished a 30-mile ride in the raid last week - it was fantastic - I could fly through the corners.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."