Bontrager 29-2 tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bontrager 29-2 tires

Anyone seen or ridden these new tires? Bontrager doesn't even have a photo on their site, but they could be my replacement for the discontinued XDX. The best photos I can find is on Trek's website, mounted to Superfly's:

Superfly Elite

Superfly100 Elite

I ride hardpack and rocky trails around St Louis, I like the tread pattern and hopefully they are a tiny bit less volume than my XDX. My dealer will have some in stock in about a month, I guess I will have to be patient.

Just Ride!
    XDX discontinued? Great, I just wasted a bunch of time earlier today choosing that tire for an upcoming build.

No longer 26
    you can a pic of the tread pattern under the 26" tires xr2. I want a 29-2 for the back to go with my 29-3 2.25 on the front.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I too am looking for an XDX and Jones ACX replacement in 29.
    09 GF HIFI 29

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    you can a pic of the tread pattern under the 26" tires xr2. I want a 29-2 for the back to go with my 29-3 2.25 on the front.
    G

x2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DeweyJuice
    I too am looking for an XDX and Jones ACX replacement in 29.
    I just replaced my HiFi's XDX's with the 29-3 Team Issues. (got two of the 'front' version) and I couldn't be happier. They roll damn near as fast as the XDX's but have more bite in the corners and do much better when things get a little wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

xdx rear 29-3 front

I have a 29-3 front and XDX back on my GF Cobia. I have found this combination to be great in conditions ranging from sand, loose rock, and packed dirt. The 29-3 really helps in cornering.

Tulsa
    i'm sold on the bonty rim

so i'm stuck with their tires, really happy to see some R&D there but they're not sending out samples to the usual mtbr testers?

I'm a poor guy, but that's relative and have like 400 bucks worth of tires (not that many in numbers) and really appreciate input from good folks here. I'm ready to drop another hundred, and it's not peanuts, my ralphs and jones XR1s are worn perfect for summer riding, gut will not due come hero dirt time

why did i post? just to continue the good discourse
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the 29-3 front and back, for wet or loose conditions there were great, but really heavy. What are the weights on the 29-2's? I am running specialized tires on my bonty rims at the moment without any issues. The Captains s-works are also really fast on the hard pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am guessing weight will be around 700 grams. I can only afford to have one set of tires, for everything from epic day rides to occasional XC racing. The XDX were great because they roll good enough, have enough traction, and I was never worried about slicing sidewalls. Hopefully these 29-2 can provide the same goodness with a little more cornering traction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sliced side wall

I had my bike with XDX for about a week when I sliced my side wall, I like the tire but wanted a little more protection. Went to SB8 loved them extremely fast but sliced the side wall also, I have the WW front and Wolverine back, gave up a lot of weight, and the don't roll but haven't had an issue yet

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am also in the market for a 29-2 and feel completely lost. Racing Ralph will not come that thin and I simply refuse to go any wider.

What Bondrager are you guyz talking about here?

Any alternatives for a 29-2 to give me good traction on loose & rocky stuff and good rolling on tarmac? (wet does not bother me at all).

Please advise!

turtles make me hot
    As best as I can tell from those pics, that looks like the tires I'm running on my bike. I like them very much. I'm at work, so I can't go look at my bike and see for sure.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    XDX Discontinued, wow , I guess that would explain why I had some on order for three weeks with status unknown... Ended up buying what seemed like the last XDX's in my area, I had to call like 5 shops before I found two (at different stores) tons of 1.9 floating around here but the 2.1's were nearly gone.

Anyone have a good pic of the tread pattern of the 29-2?? Looking at bonty's site it's not showing up, maybe it's my flash settings or something. Luckily I have a few spare XDX's but when these wear out I am curious to hear some opinions on them

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by mrilo
    XDX Discontinued, wow , I guess that would explain why I had some on order for three weeks with status unknown... Ended up buying what seemed like the last XDX's in my area, I had to call like 5 shops before I found two (at different stores) tons of 1.9 floating around here but the 2.1's were nearly gone.

Anyone have a good pic of the tread pattern of the 29-2?? Looking at bonty's site it's not showing up, maybe it's my flash settings or something. Luckily I have a few spare XDX's but when these wear out I am curious to hear some opinions on them
    you can see the tread pattern on bonty's site under the 26 xr2 banner.
    g

tiny rider
    I recently swapped out my worn XDX 2.1 rear for a Specialized Fast-trak. It does the tubeless thing, is light, seems comfortably solid in the sidewalls (knock on wood), and feels like it rolls at least as well as the XDX.

What I wasn't so sure of was the traction.

I was very pleasantly surprised how well the rear hooked up on some decomposed granite on hardpack (Walker ranch, for those that know the area). I haven't had a chance to see how it does in wetter conditions, but that's pretty rare here. 29-3 front in front makes for a nice combination.

I'm looking forward to the 29-2, though, since alternatives are good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm getting rid of my XDX 2.1's. They got 5 rides on them. Anyone interested in buying them, let me know. I'll throw up an ad on MTBR just to be fair and pay my $2.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly
    I had the 29-3 front and back, for wet or loose conditions there were great, but really heavy. What are the weights on the 29-2's? I am running specialized tires on my bonty rims at the moment without any issues. The Captains s-works are also really fast on the hard pack.

My 29-3 non tlr team issue came in at about 620 grams. Hope I can find another light one and may put that on the back until the 29-2 comes available.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by grendalfly
    Actual weights.
    29-3 TLR Team issue
    29x2.25, 676g
    29x2.00, 565g
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Has anyone comfirmed with Trek/Bontrager that the XDX is kaput or is this a rumor? I really like the XDX.
    Signature

banned
    Apr 2009
    I posted this a few weeks ago about Bontrager Jones XR being discontinued.. I dont trust the 29-3, etc.. in certain turns at high speeds without more side (lateral) knobs (like the Jones XR have).
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...r+discontinued

No longer 26
    I rode the XR's and the 29-3 2.25's within a few days of each other at the same trail and thought the 29-3's were much better at cornering. Mostly dry with loose stuff in spots.
    G

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Has anyone comfirmed with Trek/Bontrager that the XDX is kaput or is this a rumor? I really like the XDX.
    Trek's dealer site is listing 10/18/2010 as when they will be getting in more of the 29x2.1.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a rear 29.3 team issue which rode fine but on the third ride it blistered and popped so I'm not that confident in the tire. It looked a bit light to me, but I figured I'd just to to the xdx which hasn't ever failed for me. Maybe I was just unlucky and I should give the 29.3 another chance.
    09 GF HIFI 29

No longer 26
    I had the same thing happen to a 29-3 2.0 tlr rear. Although the sidewall blister never "popped". It was fast enough rolling and traction was OK. I just did not like how narrow it was, even on the back of a fs bike. So I got the 2.25 as a replacement and love it as a front tire so far. Might even get another to try on the rear depending how long it is before the 29-2's are available.
    G

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

turtles make me hot
    OOps... I'm runnin' the FR3. Got em on the front and back. They're directional, so you have to pay attention when mounting them. I like them, but you have to make sure the wheel is straight. It has BIG side knobs and rubs the frame easily if something gets out of line.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    i was running team 29-3 front and back and it felt a heavy, like the bike was being held back a bit. had a similar feeling when i was running rampage front and back. changed to XDX out back and now it rolls fine with enough grip, much like rampageF/ignitorR combo i ran with tubes for more than a year.

No longer 26
    29-2's are up on the Bontrager site now.

mtbr member

I have two 29-3 2.0s.

Returning 1 for a 2.25 in front. They mount and hold air well but the 2.0s are a little narrower than claimed. I'm trying the 2.0 in back for now (its really more like 1.85) but I may have one to sell if I can't return it.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffy
    I have a 29-3 front and XDX back on my GF Cobia. I have found this combination to be great in conditions ranging from sand, loose rock, and packed dirt. The 29-3 really helps in cornering.

This kid is an absolute idiot when it comes to tires he would have never tried this unless i got it for him. What up buddy. Right now I am running a racing ralph 2.25 front and a 29-0 rear hooking up real nice on dry. For wetter its rr 2.4 front 2.25 rear.
    God of all things previously unassigned.
    My employer

Members who have read this thread: 0