Bolt on skewers. Make the bike stiffer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bolt on skewers. Make the bike stiffer?

Just wonder if it will help

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Running the Hope Pro ll bolt on rear hub and can't tell a difference. I chose bolt simply because I've seen skewers get caught in the past and eject a wheel. Since I'm no racer I don't care about the extra 30 seconds for wheel removal/installation for the peace of mind

ballbuster

Some say it does...

Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    Just wonder if it will help
    but I have a hard time believing they would be any stiffer than a good quality QR, like a Shimano. I have Hope skewers on my gearie bike, and they are pretty dang burly as well.

Avoid Delta Alxerods, tho... I've had two fail on me. There is too much slop in the bolt, and the bold threads directly into soft aluminum.

likes to ride bikes
    No. I have one on a rear race wheel for weight savings (front is a Lefty, bolt on also).

If you generated too much torque and bolted on the skewer too tightly, you may damage the frame or hub.

You could use an old-school, heavy steel QR. I think that would be more durable but it probably wouldn't reduce flex noticeably either, you need a larger diameter through-axle to do that.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    ...you need a larger diameter through-axle to do that.
    What he said^^^^^^^

Control Tech Ti skewers are technically bolt-on, but at only ~42g in no way do those increase stiffness. They are not even recommended for a susp. fork.

Some riders with Iron Horse MKIII rear triangle problems have installed bolt-on rear hubs or the DT-Swiss RWS skewers to replace the factory 9mm QR in hopes of delaying the [apparently] inevitable triangle failure. This is said to keep the triangle from twisting. I'm sure someone will come up with a hub that has giant flanges and special dropouts/adapters to take this concept to the utmost.

-F

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No.

Members who have read this thread: 0