Blur TR or Yeti SB100 or...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blur TR or Yeti SB100 or...

I am looking for a new ride this year. I am replacing my Turner Czar 1.0 and am looking for something for marathon events and the occasional XC race.

I am a larger rider 6'1" generally hovering between 190 and 210 depending on the time of year.

Right now I am looking hard at the SB100 or the Blur TR figuring I need the Fox 34 at a minimum. Are there any other bikes out there that should be on my list to check out? Anybody have any strong opinions either way?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ibis Ripley v4 (just announced today)
    Niner Jet 9
    Spot Ryve
    Norco Revolver
    Intense Sniper

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    These are two different types of the XC sort. The blur is the full suspension xc race bike while the yeti sb100 is more toward a combination of XC and trail together, as the front has 120mm of travel. Something comparable to the Yeti in my opinion is probably the Epic Evo, which is Specializedís version of the SB100 with a 120mm fork on the front. Since your going to do longer XC races, Iíd go for the blur, or other similar bikes like the XC version of the Specialized Epic, or the Scalpel SI from Cannondale. Iím kind of biased towards Specialized, but those are all really nice bikes.

edit. If your looking for the best components for your money then check out the Canyon Lux, they sell direct to consumer so you donít have to pay as much for the top end forks, drivetrains, shocks, etc. They just redesigned the lux and my dad is thinking about selling his old Lux and buying the new model.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I ride a Blur S with the Fox 32. Around your same size (6'3", 185). I use the bike for trail riding and marathon events. I haven't missed the Fox 34, but I am adding the dropper post. Great bike for my riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A couple others I'd look into if I were you.

Fezzari Signal Peak
    Rocky Mountain Element

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention that I do have a Ripmo as my longer travel rig so staying a little more XC oriented makes more sense. I had been shying away from bikes with the Fox 32SC because of everything I have read about it being flexy. If I didn't get my ripmo so recently I would have grabbed that Ripley V4 as my "one" bike but where is the fun in that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    My friend has a 32SC and we both think that its better than a rockshox sid (not including the new signature series). Havenít ridden his on the trail so I canít compare how much the two forks flex. However he has a carbon wheelset so that probably compensates for the flex in the step cast fork. 32SC + carbon wheelset seems pretty balanced, or just get a bike with a non step cast version of the 32, it should probably ride fine.

Barely in control
    If I was doing a trade off study for this, I'd have a field marked "Complicated suspension designs of dubious value" and give the SB100 a minimum score.

mtbr member
    On the SB100, the Switch Infinity stuff his kinda hidden in the seat tube.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have owned the Rocky Element, Yeti SB100, and I am currently riding Blur TR w/120 34SC fork. I ride and race XC as well, tend towards stage races and XCM style events. I too am a taller rider, 6'3" and 190.The Yeti is a great trail bike that you can race but it is heavier and can only carry 1 bottle, a factor IMHO if you are thinking of longer races. The Element and I never really clicked, I felt there was a little too much wallow in the midstroke for climbing, YMMV. The Blur has a pretty similar geo to the SB100 which I really liked on the Yeti. The Blur is 1 lb lighter than the Yeti with equivalent build. The Blur is a really good technical climber, the one downfall of the Blur is that it only has a 2 position shock. I think the Blur would really shine with a 3 position (Trail/middle position). It is still a very efficient bike, but it is active in open. The lockout is nice for fire roads/road surfaces. I also looked at the Sniper with strong consideration, but the reports of a flex rear end for larger riders did ultimately scare me off. With the Sniper being .5 lbs lighter than the Blur, there would have to be some kind of compromise, and it sounds like it is in the back end.
    The Norco Revolver looks like a really interesting option, especially since you could theoretically switch from 100mm to 120mm with a different rear shock. The downside to the Revolver is the build kits, no Shimano/Fox (which means no 34SC and Shimano brakes-I am a big fan of XTR trail brakes).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am 6ft and 195lbs and was in the same dilemma as you a couple of weeks ago. While it's not the most popular bike here I ended up going with the Kona Hei Hei CR/DL. I put a DVO Sapphire fork on it and it's been absolutely fantastic. For me it's been the best fitting mtb I've ever owned. Kona really killed it with the geometry.

Been having such a blast with it I am going to be racing XC this summer with it.

The one bike I would recommend you stay away from because of your weight is the Intense Sniper. I got to take one out on the trails and found the frame quite flexy.