Black Sheep 29er/Cross ride- Mtbr.com
    www.badgercycles.com

Black Sheep 29er/Cross ride

James with Black Sheep bikes sent me this pic of his personal 29er/Cross do whatever bike. Thought it was pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robpennell; 01-06-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Occasionally engagedů

I've hefted it...

Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    James with Black Sheep bikes sent me this pic of his personal 29er/Cross do whatever bike. Thought it was pretty cool.
    Checking this bike out in the flesh was the clincher in having James build my 29er, which is due next week. It's a truly burly do-everything bike -- the craftsmanship is second to none.

Who turned out the lights
    Looks like a total piece of crap. You're going to hate yours when it gets here.

www.badgercycles.com

I think mine shipped

today but I'm not sure. I'll have to call and bug him! Hey PeT, what do you have coming? Steel or Ti? I noticed he makes 29er full sus there is a pic on his website. I would love to hear a ride report and see some better pic's of that thing. I think the next bike I buy for myself is going to be a full sus but I'm not sure what to get.

Caveman
    I'm pretty sure James will do 29" softails. He had his own 26" "real" full suspension bike for a while, though maybe now has gotten more into building full sus frames for customers.

contains quinine

I've spied..

.. with my eye..

a ti fs 29'er by Black Sheep. Looked similar to a Moots Smoothie. It was probably 2-3 years ago now, but I remember thinking it was cool.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    today but I'm not sure. I'll have to call and bug him! Hey PeT, what do you have coming? Steel or Ti? I noticed he makes 29er full sus there is a pic on his website. I would love to hear a ride report and see some better pic's of that thing. I think the next bike I buy for myself is going to be a full sus but I'm not sure what to get.
    It's a "fully firm" 29er Ti EBB frame and fork, not-suspension corrected, and set-up for a Rohloff hub. The important aspect of the frame for me is that it will have a relatively low trail measurement -- a 72 degree head tube and 50 mm of offset (rake) on the fork gives about 65 mm of trail when running a 50 mm tire. I've been running an equivalent setup on my 26er for the past year and have a ton of dirt and offroad miles on a cyclocross bike with 35 mm tires and know it's what I want. I don't have the coordination to deal with a changing trail measurement or the inherent imprecision of a suspension fork. This set-up isn't for everybody, but that's the beauty of going custom. The only thing I'm worried about is how much I'll like the Rohloff...

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    .. with my eye..

a ti fs 29'er by Black Sheep. Looked similar to a Moots Smoothie. It was probably 2-3 years ago now, but I remember thinking it was cool.
    debaser - You're right. There's a front ranger with that BS ti FS 29er. I used to work with him. Big dude. Good rider. I think originally it was going to be more like a Racer-X design (a ti Asylum!), but he ended up going with the Smoothie 29er "knock-off." Pretty sweet. S

mtbr member

crank?

anyone know what crank that is?

is it the same as the one on this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

frm

FRM is an Italian company whos parts can be accessed via the no-tubes website. I think the cranks on ther Black Sheep may actually be Middleburn 2x9's.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by new kelly
    FRM is an Italian company whos parts can be accessed via the no-tubes website. I think the cranks on ther Black Sheep may actually be Middleburn 2x9's.
    No, those cranks are DaVinci's. They're made by Todd Shusterman who own's Davinci Designs. The connection is that James welds out the DaVinci Design tandems. For what it's worth, James is one of the top 5 welders I know. Brad at Moots is still pretty much best I've ever seen (for bikes) but the gap between the top 5 is pretty freaking small.