Bikes like SB100, Epic Evo, Old SC Tallboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bikes like SB100, Epic Evo, Old SC Tallboy

Hey all,

I rode a previous generation Santa Cruz Tallboy and loved it. I want to ride more bikes like that and am looking to find out what is out there in that (100-110 rear, 120 front, slack geo with xc climbing capability)

Similar bikes I have found are the
    Epic Evo (don't like the brain)
    Yeti SB100 (too pricey and issues with Switch Infinity creaking)
    3rd gen Tallboy (might be best candidate but I want to ride other bikes in this category)
    BMC Agonist
    Santa Cruz Blur with 120mm fork (maybe a little too light duty)

What else is out there? Anything you guys can think of that might be appealing? Insight on any of the bikes that I've listed?

Trail Rider
    I have fond memories of the SC Tallboy 2. I think the new Blur is very close to being the same bike. If that's too light duty, maybe look at 120 bikes, like the SC TB4, Ibis Ripley. The Fezzari Signal Peak looks pretty cool.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own a rocky mountain element and I would also include a Kona hei hei which I test rode and loved. Both have 120 up front and 100 rear. I believe theyre both about to drop new models which will no doubt be slacker. I'm with you, not sure I understand these super slack short travel bikes coming out now

mtbr member
    I've ridden the new Tallboy and the SB100, and liked the Giant Trance 29 Pro more. That's what I ended up getting.

Trail Rider
    What do you consider slack geo for a 100/110 trail bike?
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    for me personally, i'd say anthing slacker than in the ballpark of 67 ish makes steep, technical climbing a pain. I've ridden plenty of different bikes including the trance 29 which pedals great but the slack HA does wander and this can zap your energy much more than a dedicated xc bike. Just because a bike pedals well doesnt mean its designed to climb. Bikes are about compromise and for me the new tallboy for example has moved into trail/all mtn territory.
    Since the OP deliberately excluded the new TB I assumed he wants a marathon xc bike thus the recommendation of the element and the hei hei. I own an element at 69 degrees and because of its long wheelbase i find it very stable at speed. not the worlds greatest descender in the rough obviously, but then i do arrive very fresh at the top of the descent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Take a look at the Norco Revolver and Pivot 4 SL. New Ripley can be built pretty light and pedals just as well as some of the bikes you are looking at.
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hi, I am also looking for a bike in this category. For me, the new trek top fuel is on the top of my list. Another contender is (was) the orbea oiz TR which has a much better price/components ratio. I still need a test ride, but I am quit sure the geometry of the Trek will fit me much better, the reach of the orbea is 3cm shorter in size L.
    I like the ibis ripley a lot, but this one is too expensive for me in Europe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Take a look at the Scott Spark 900 ( non rc) 120 front/120 rear travel great bike and with the twinlock climbs awesome

Wanna ride bikes?
    +1 Kona Hei Hei. Very fast, fun, and capable XC bike. It's my endurance race bike, but I've also done some pretty epic rides on it. It's also tough. I'm 6'3" 215 lbs and not gentle, never had a problem after many miles of me pounding on it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Add the Intense Sniper to the list. They're also offering a free set of carbon wheels with bike purchase, so you would have two sets of wheels.