Bikeman's Quality Wheel House?- Mtbr.com
    Freeze Tag Champion

Bikeman's Quality Wheel House?

Anyone have any experience with Bikeman's wheels? This is going to be my first 29er and $255 for an XT/Delgado 29er Disc wheelset seems quite reasonable. Even down right cheap considering their asking price for the individual hubs/rims/spokes.

While we're talkin' wheels, is there any reason I should go with 36 spokes instead of 32? (Besides my fat a$$!) I'm a big guy, 250 with gear, but I think I ride reasonably smooth. The wheels will be slapped on an Inbred as soon as I sell my Heckler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Just got mine today

UPS delivered my set today. I wanted the new delgado disc rims and these seemed like a good deal. They have black butted spokes, silver nipples, xt hubs, came with velox rim tape & skewers. They seem to be well built- look true to me and the spokes are plenty tight. Haven't yet ridden them. They feel light for xt hub wheels, haven't weighed them yet.

N+1

good to go

I'm 230+ dressed up to ride, and I've owned a couple sets of the QWH wheels, 32 spoke, without much problem at all. Still, it's like 40g difference or something nominal for 36 spoke and the improved strength is worth it.

d
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    "Quality Wheel House" is QBP's wheel building service that is available to all shops with an account with them. They have a very good reputation.

Go with 36 spokes. It is worth a little extra weight for the additional strength.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Freeze Tag Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    "Quality Wheel House" is QBP's wheel building service that is available to all shops with an account with them. They have a very good reputation.

Go with 36 spokes. It is worth a little extra weight for the additional strength.
    Ahhh. I don't suppose that means I would be able to order that wheelset (or a 36 spoke version) for a similar price from Paul's here in Eugene, does it? I have a feeling Bikeman is able to work with a much lower profit margin than a local shop. I like to buy about half of my stuff from the local shops, but I assumed the wheelset would be quite a bit less expensive online.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by GumbyRat
    Ahhh. I don't suppose that means I would be able to order that wheelset (or a 36 spoke version) for a similar price from Paul's here in Eugene, does it? I have a feeling Bikeman is able to work with a much lower profit margin than a local shop. I like to buy about half of my stuff from the local shops, but I assumed the wheelset would be quite a bit less expensive online.
    Paul's can order the exact same wheelset. You will need to check with them about pricing. Bikeman is also a local shop with an online presence. Be sure to figure in shipping.

You can also same some bucks by using Deore hubs rather than XT. Virtually no functional difference and the same weight.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Should be good to go with Bikeman.com..

Can't say too much about the 29er wheels sets, but I ordered an XT/Mavic 26er set last year for my El Santo and they were perfect, and a great price. I will say I am sponsored by them, but If I thought you would be getting a sh*t wheel, I'd tell you.

Shiggy is right, you may want to double check shipping. You might be blowing your profit margin. Hope to have a set the Salsa/XT 29ers by summer. Know anyone who wants a 26er Titus HCR? HA!

Good luck.

Jason
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Members who have read this thread: 0