bike stolen and need new one- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bike stolen and need new one

Long story but my 29er xtc 2 it is in signature, was stolen Friday night. Good news is that homeowners insurance is going to cover most of it. The bad news is that I probally going to leave the 29er ranks though. Here it goes I loved my 29 but that bike has been bad luck with only 20 miles on it, it fell off of the back of my jeep and I had to replace it now it was stolen.
    I'm not real superstitious but I can't afford to keep replacing this bike. Here is what I am looking at I only really have about 1200 dollars to spend unless I layaway. And two weeks ago I demoed a gt full suss 26inch for about 2-3 miles in White clay Delaware. And I got to say I like the full suspension. Ideally I would like the new Giant 29er full suspension but can't afford. So here is the list Sette ace for 999.00 I have rode my sons some. Giant trance x4
    1200.00 or build the khs frame for 299.99 2008 xc 204 can build that with x9 and solo air fork and sun ringle wheels for about 1050-1200 Any thoughts
    2010 Trek EX 8 tubeless on hope hubs mavic 521 rims

Naturally Organic
    If you like GT, check out the Marathon 9r. Full Suspension for $1500 (NOS). They had some at the Performance nearby, with the 10% discount, $1350 (plus tax)...

For $1200, you can get plenty of 29er HT action...

FWIW...IMO...YMMV.

the air is thin up here..
    $1200 FS = not good IMO unless you find a great deal used.
    Go 29er HT

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Dont buy a FS 26er. They normally dont retain their value as much as a 29er HT. For that amount of money (and plus maybe a hundred or so more bucks) build yourself a frame that will retain its resale value if you decide to sell it. Get Vassago (if you can) or a Niner EMD and other frames like it...
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think there are better deals than a niner EMD. Hell you could get a bikesdirect 29er. Itll come with some nice stuff as far as drivetrain fork and brakes. I doubt you will be able to build a bike for 1200 that would be worth the time and money. Im pretty partial to Spesh so Id probably go the route of a 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er since its exactly where your budget ends. In all honesty, I would take a 29er HT over a 26er FS any day. The only reason I dont have a 29er HT is because Id rather have a 29er FS and my current bike is doing just fine while I stash my pennies away, well for now.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Buy a used bike. Alot of people will be getting rid of bikes this fall. You can buy a whole lotta used bike for 1000!

mtbr member
    Ok thanks everybody for the input. Here is a another I think is a pretty good deal I'm not totally sure though it is a 2009 trek ex 8 for 1400 demo bike not to demoed.Thanks again
    2010 Trek EX 8 tubeless on hope hubs mavic 521 rims

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'd go with 2010 Access 9.7 29er! LOVE mine.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1081537_-1___
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Members who have read this thread: 0