mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New question here. Bike Comparison - TREK X-Caliber 8/9

Hello,

New to the forum - so thank you all in advance for any advice you could provide.

As a bit of background - the wife and I recently moved to a new home with access to a wonderful trail that is about 15 miles of varying terrain from asphalt, hard\loose gravel, dirt, mud with exposed roots, all over varying flats, moderate inclines, and declines. We took the dog their for a walk and it immediately brought my back to my old Mountain Biking days and I am have the itch to get back into it. It's been over 10 years since I last rode.

I went to my local bike shop and they were very familiar with the trail, and said they Trek X-Caliber was a strong option for a learning-again novice to grow into before having to buy a more advance rig.

My budget is >$2,000, and looking for something that is a strong all around Bike that I will give me many years of enjoyment before I say it's time to upgrade.

Lastly, my father suggested I pick the X-Caliber 9 for the rail mounted shock lock if nothing else - in his opinion without it I would never take the time to stop and manually lock a shock mounted lock.

Any other suggestions on Bikes that are in a similar price range that may be a better value for someone in my situation?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No one uses the lock on a fork on a hardtail unless you're a Cat1 racer during a race. You just don't put enough of your weight on the front at low speeds to need it.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
    Look at a Stache 5 instead. Wider rims and tires will allow you to ride safer and faster for more fun.
    Shop around but talk price only with a manager. You can get 18% off for cash from maybe 1 out of 3 managers. You have to find one who will work with you to get a deal done. Figure the amount after discount + tax to get the figure you need to get a deal done. If you find a 2018 in stock offer 30 off. Always figure and offer the amount. Not the percentage.
    Pinkbike buy/sell has used listings. Bike Flights ships a boxed bike for $79. A seller can get a free box from a shop.

mtbr member
    Second the Stache. For the riding it sounds like you'll do, it's a great platform and will handle it all.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.