Bike Comparison...Salsa & Niner- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    365

    Bike Comparison...Salsa & Niner

    So I've heard lots of good things about both the Niner MCR and Salsa El Mariachi. I didn't want to post this in either of those forums so there is not so much bias towards one or the other. I realize the El Mariachi can be purchased complete for MSRP around $1750 but a riding partner of mine just picked up an AIR 9 at a local dealer with a build kit for about $2000. The build kit is comparable to the El Mariachi setup so it basically comes down to the frame, customer service, ect... What are your thoughts on each?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,757
    5 year warranty (Salsa) vs. 2 for Niner, plus the Alternator drop outs are very cool and offer flexibility. I think a comparison to the SIR 9 would be better. I love my El Mar, and I prefer the funky-ness of Salsa vs. the Niner image. You really should ride them to make your own comparison however.

  3. #3
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,535
    I am really enjoying my El Maiachi....running SS.

    But the 2 bikes you are comparing are pretty different.

    Steel vs. scandium / SS:geared vs. geared

    The Salsa is going to be heavier (5.7 lbs for large vs. 3.5 for large Air 9)
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

    Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ndbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    339
    Definitely Salsa. Really cool people, and a really nice bike. The alternator dropouts in my opinion are a huge plus over an EBB.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    I am really enjoying my El Maiachi....running SS.

    But the 2 bikes you are comparing are pretty different.

    Steel vs. scandium / SS:geared vs. geared

    The Salsa is going to be heavier (5.7 lbs for large vs. 3.5 for large Air 9)

    I was actually looking at the MCR 9.....not the AIR 9. A riding buddy of mine just purchased an AIR 9 is what I wrote earlier.

  6. #6
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,535
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    I was actually looking at the MCR 9.....not the AIR 9. A riding buddy of mine just purchased an AIR 9 is what I wrote earlier.

    Ooooopss......missed that.

    I went with the Salsa so I could run SS but have the option of running full gears if I blow my knees up.

    I looked at both the MCR and Sir 9, but one isn't a SS and the other only has provisions for running 1x9/10.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

    Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    365
    anyone know the difference of the kung fu tubing used in the el mariachi and the 853 reynolds on the mcr 9?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ndbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    anyone know the difference of the kung fu tubing used in the el mariachi and the 853 reynolds on the mcr 9?
    Salsa used to use True Temper OX tubing for their frames. For various reasons they decided to go to a tube maker in Japan and do tubing to their own specs. I can only speculate but if the steel tube maker is Japanese, it is probably Tange, and as far as their own specs it could range from alloying materials to tube butting specs. Either way, it is supposed to be as good and probably better than what they were doing before. If you dig around in here, try the Salsa forum, I think there may be better explanations.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbike
    Salsa used to use True Temper OX tubing for their frames. For various reasons they decided to go to a tube maker in Japan and do tubing to their own specs. I can only speculate but if the steel tube maker is Japanese, it is probably Tange, and as far as their own specs it could range from alloying materials to tube butting specs. Either way, it is supposed to be as good and probably better than what they were doing before. If you dig around in here, try the Salsa forum, I think there may be better explanations.
    Yea I was just trying to see what people to to say about the quality of the kung fu vs the 853. It seems like most steel frames use the 853

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.