Biggest tires on a 2019 Stumpjumper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Biggest tires on a 2019 Stumpjumper

Hi all, I am trying to find the biggest 2.6 (or plus tires) that I can fit on a 2019 Stumpjumper. I have gotten some great feedback on a similar thread on the 26, 27.5 29+ Forum, and wanted to ask you all here who may not venture over to the Plus Size forum ; What are the biggest tires that any of you have been able to fit on this bike? the bike has the stock Roval carbon 30mm id wheels. I would ideally just pick a plus tire but manufacturers claimed tire dimensions seem to be only loosely based in reality. The stock 2.6 Butcher for example measures to an actual of 2.35", I heard from a shop today that they have a Maxxis Rekon on a 35 id rim in their shop that measures 2.7", that could work for me... maybe a 29x3 DHF on front. also the Terrene McFly and Cake Eater are options. We're riding all mountain trails in New England so the terrain and trail conditions are all over the place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a buddy riding the 2.6 McFly on his HD3. I can see what his are measuring out to, but he's running them on Ibis 738's which are 34mm ID. I wouldn't recommend riding anything wider than a 2.6 on a 30mm ID rim. I've ridden a bike with 2.8's on a 30mm rim and the tire folds at higher cornering speeds. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    You should post this question in the Specialized section too, might get some more info on what you are looking for.
    2018 Specialized Rockhopper Expert
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I was running 2.5 Maxxis on the 29 30mm internal rims. On my plus setup same bike I was runnning 27.5 3Ē specialized on 38mm internal rims with plenty of clearance. A lot depends on the fork you are running not the frame.

mtbr member
    This from the Stumpy's page on the Specialized website:

"Steps were also taken to make this bike easy to live with. Threaded bottom brackets make a triumphant return, and we made room for up to a 3.0" tire."

I have yet to see one running 3.0 tires, either live or in any pictures. The ones running the stock 2.6 tires don't look like they have a lot more clearance, but I can't imaging Spesh putting this in print if it didn't meet minimum clearances with the bigger tires on them.
    Rode a Trek Full Stache with the Bontrager 29 x 3.0's and loved the ride, so am very interested in clearances for the Stumpy.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    This from the Stumpy's page on the Specialized website:

"Steps were also taken to make this bike easy to live with. Threaded bottom brackets make a triumphant return, and we made room for up to a 3.0" tire."

I have yet to see one running 3.0 tires, either live or in any pictures. The ones running the stock 2.6 tires don't look like they have a lot more clearance, but I can't imaging Spesh putting this in print if it didn't meet minimum clearances with the bigger tires on them.
    Rode a Trek Full Stache with the Bontrager 29 x 3.0's and loved the ride, so am very interested in clearances for the Stumpy.
    Agreed, the ride of a plus tire is awesome. So, that is where I'm trying to get to with this bike. 2019 SJ Expert 29er with the stock Roval carbon 30mm id wheels.

As many of the tire manufacturers cannot seem to make a tire to match the labeled dimensions, and specialized made a frame that has the same loosely base tire-size-compatibility claims, it becomes a real project to find a tire that gets close to making this a plus bike.

Their claim on the 29er Stumpy home page; "...and we made room for up to a 3.0" tire." IS FLAT OUT WRONG!

The OEM 2.6 Butcher and Purgatory"s that came on it measure very close to 2.35.

I just mounted, and will be settling on, a 29 x 2.8 Terrene Cake Eater. After some helpful feedback here, and in a couple other forums, I also spoke with Terrene about the fit, and they confirmed that it would, but it it might be tight of the recommended clearances. Their website seems to be pitching it as a winter tire, but the in-house team says it is designed as a year round all mountain tire that can be studded for winter use.

The Cake Eater has a nice a/m tread and is definitely the biggest tire that will fit the rear triangle. Inflated it measures just about 2.6". The clearance at the seatstay brace is just under 4mm. Industry standard minimum is 6mm, so you cannot go bigger than this tire. The McFly' is built on the same casing, and has a faster rolling tread design, with center knobs 1.5mm shorter, so that should clear the seatstay brace better, with roughly 5.5mm.

Now to find something to fit the fork. Is anyone running a 29x3.0 Bontrager ZR or SE4 on this bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The 3" tire is correct but not at 29". It is intended for 27.5 Plus from Spech. I am running 3" tires with no issues in 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When you put a wide tire on a 30mm rim you'll need higher air pressure to keep the tire from folding. So you're giving up a lot of the performance available from that tire from the start. Depending on your terrain and speeds you could do better with a high volume more rounded profile 2.35 tire on your rim at a much lower pressure. Tread will be able to flatten out more when hitting the trail surface for a bigger contact patch and more traction. Bontrager XR Teams are designed like that. Hard pack with loose at medium not dh/enduro speeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I am running 38mm rims on my plus setup. On my 29 ď wheels I am on 2.5 inch tires. Both wheel sets have their strong suits and I switch out depending on what I am after. It is almost like two different bikes with one frame.