Big Mama Ride Impression (NOVICE)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Big Mama Ride Impression (NOVICE)

Well I've built up a Big Mama and have finally gotten out on a trail. I live in SoCal and right out side my garage is decent fire roads/single track.
    Went out yesterday and immediately I hit 9% by my Garmin 500, the bike climbed that with ease, Me too. I got into the real trail and steadily rose to 19%. I wasn't prepared for that, after about 30 seconds the roadie in Me wanted to get out of the saddle. I hadn't hit the lock out nor pro peddle (I'm a novice) started bobbing like a pogo stick and said screw this. Stopped and gracefully crested the rise. On my way back it was down hill single track which the bike easily handled given my level of experience. We're pretty dry here since last week, but on My way down I hit a flat paralleling a ravine and the flat was maybe 8 inches of mud 20 feet long. I sort of panicked, the trail maybe three feet wide and on My left a 50 foot drop. I slowed didn't clip out and again, gracefully, fell over this time.
    Today I went another way and only hit 15% and used the lock out and or pedal, I did not get out of the saddle. No falls!
    So I love the bike.
    The Reba Race is great.
    The XX shifts flawlessly, even after getting caked in mud, I went over on the right side.
    I have 42/28 with 11-36. Originally I wanted the 39-26, but truthfully I could have made the 19% with what I have and I like the extra teeth up front.
    So that's it. The MTB'ing is a blast. The roadie in Me wants a HR monitor so I can see what's happening on those steep grades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    please post some more impressions when you get to ride more. This is one of the bikes I'm looking at now.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo
    Well I've built up a Big Mama and have finally gotten out on a trail. I live in SoCal and right out side my garage is decent fire roads/single track.
    Went out yesterday and immediately I hit 9% by my Garmin 500, the bike climbed that with ease, Me too. I got into the real trail and steadily rose to 19%. I wasn't prepared for that, after about 30 seconds the roadie in Me wanted to get out of the saddle. I hadn't hit the lock out nor pro peddle (I'm a novice) started bobbing like a pogo stick and said screw this. Stopped and gracefully crested the rise. On my way back it was down hill single track which the bike easily handled given my level of experience. We're pretty dry here since last week, but on My way down I hit a flat paralleling a ravine and the flat was maybe 8 inches of mud 20 feet long. I sort of panicked, the trail maybe three feet wide and on My left a 50 foot drop. I slowed didn't clip out and again, gracefully, fell over this time.
    Today I went another way and only hit 15% and used the lock out and or pedal, I did not get out of the saddle. No falls!
    So I love the bike.
    The Reba Race is great.
    The XX shifts flawlessly, even after getting caked in mud, I went over on the right side.
    I have 42/28 with 11-36. Originally I wanted the 39-26, but truthfully I could have made the 19% with what I have and I like the extra teeth up front.
    So that's it. The MTB'ing is a blast. The roadie in Me wants a HR monitor so I can see what's happening on those steep grades.
    Adjust the pressure in the shock. It should not bob much, even out of the saddle. I have not touched the ProPedal level on the trail all year. Just leave it wide open.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Actually I think it was the fork that really bounced. But I could play with the shock too. I do have the sag set correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0