beware of the scam buyers in the classifieds- Mtbr.com
    You know, for kids

beware of the scam buyers in the classifieds

I got this in response to my Bandersnatch ad...

Hello, during my search online today i came across your item advert.I'm interested in immediate purchase of your item within USA. But before we proceed i have some questions for you as follow: 1). Do you accept a ( American Bank Certified Check) as a mode of payment? 2.)What is the firm price of the item without shipping? 3) Are you the first owner? 4) I want you to email the current pictures for a better view. 5) I will need your help to wire transfer the (shipping charges) to the shipping company for them to pick up item at your place? 6) What is the present condition of the item? 7) If you agreed get back to me with your contact info where you want the payment to be mail to you directly:Name and Address and Phone#. Your quick respond will be appreciate with the above requirements so we can mail out the payment to you this week and we proceed Asap. Have a great rest of the day.

Thanks.

This is obviously an attempt to send me a fake check and get me to wire shipping charges to a supposed "shipping company". YEAH RIGHT!

my response...

The bike is in excellent condition as stated in the ad. I will not email the photos as they are provided in the ad, FULL SIZE.

I will use the shipper of MY CHOICE and not yours. I will require you to send full payment for the bike and shipping to me. NO WIRE TRANSFERS TO A SHIPPING COMPANY OF YOUR CHOICE. I WILL NOT WIRE TRANSFER ANY MONEY FROM MY LOCATION. A cashier's check issued from a bank will be required to be mailed to me and THE BIKE WILL NOT SHIP UNTIL PAYMENT HAS CLEARED. PAYMENT IN FULL WILL BE REQUIRED FOR BOTH BIKE AND SHIPPING.

frickin' scammin' arses
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

err, 27.5+
    Sad thing is every year people do actually bite on this type of scam
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

jrm
    mtbr member

"CASH or PAYPAL Only"

Has kept me spammer free for a while now.

I'm just messing with you
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    this is news?!?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Play with them, waste their time, I've got well over 100K in fake checks

mtbr member
    Obvious fake in that he never mentioned a bike in his email.

It is funny that orioncycles is collecting fake checks. You may want to see if a government agency has any interest in seeing them.

WNC Native

They are very annoying

Quote Originally Posted by orion_cycles
    Great Idea, I'll keep that in mind for the furture.

Craigslist is the world's worst for these scammers.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They usually ask for a phone number, and will call immediately after you've received the check via fedex or ups, so they can arrange to have you cash the check and wire them the money.

I now give them the phone number for the FBI, Secret Service, or a local police department, something like that.

I received an email from the same guy as the op above, and I already have a check on the way.

jmw
    mtbr member
    tip #1: They always refer to it as an advert
    future nature

mtbr member
    So do I, I collect the 'cheques'. I also give them my work # and tell them to call if they need anything. Figure it costs them money to call so I take a little of their ill-gotten gains. Plus it's even more fun to fvck with them on the phone.

Although they probably call on someone's stolen credit card.

Waiting for Godot
    yeah i say mess with them. it takes time and money to get all those checks and find bank account numbers. get them to write emails and send checks. just don't cash them.... your bank will charge you money when it fails.
    Out riding, leave a message

transmitter~receiver
    also be aware that the checks can 'clear' and show as available balance in your account only to bounce as much as weeks later. if i'm willing to take a money order, i specify US Postal Service only.

mtbr member
    yeah, it happens here in new zealand too ... some folks are so gullible that they get taken for thousands and thousands ...
    the giveaway is often that they want the money sent via western union ... once sent it's gone!

think it's called 'nigerian 409 scam' or a version of???

apparently at least 16 of my relatives i had no idea i had have died in horrible car crashes in african localities, and i am owed some awesome sums of money that will keep me in 29ers for the rest of my life, that would otherwise go into some corrupt government's coffers ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    i remember seeing a picture frame hanging in a petrol station [gas station for the american viewer] one day ... it contained a selection of bounced cheques neatly arranged within the glass picture frame, with a price tag attached equivalent to the value of the cheques arranged within ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    if i'm willing to take a money order, i specify US Postal Service only.
    Be careful, these have been faked as well. Canadian postal orders (whatever they are called) have been faked to.

When a postal money order if faked it is a very big deal though; especially if it is sent by USPS.

You know, for kids
    yay, more scamming in my inbox this morning...

Hello Seller,

How you doing over there???Hope everything is fine alright..I am ok with your price and i will be making the payment by {Money Order}which i think it very safe and secure for both of us cos,i don,t want any confusion or any fraudulent activity to dwell in this transaction that is why i have been taking precautions since the last two month co"s i got burnt and don,t want to fall for the same thing again so please hope you understand my point,I should have come to see the item but am presently out of town but you can attach the pic,s of the item for me to see cos its very weird to but what you haven,t seen with your eyes okay...I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you.I don't mind offering you an extra $50 so you can keep it in my favor... If you're ok with me Reply with your Full Name,Address,State,Zip Code City where payment should be sent to including your cell phone #. Please take the posting off "mtbr" today and consider it sold to me.get back to you asap.. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

Thank You.

Jennifer.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

R.I.P. DogFriend
    EVERY ad I have placed here on MTBR has been replied to by scammers. They are usually pretty easy to spot unless you were born last night and just fell off the turnip truck. Expect it. Deal with it how you must. Just don't fall for it.

I sent one a visciously reaming of an e-mail only to have the same roach (apologies to any roaches reading this) send me another scam-mail for another item the very next day. Relentless and shame-free, those roaches are.

Stiff yet compliant
    Well, for me to buy something gets a bit messy, as I presently live and work in one country, while my verified Paypal/bank account are in another country. Doh. I've lost out on a few good deals cos the buyer didnt want to ship outside the US and I didnt want to have it shipped to my US address and then have it forwarded a second time, paying shipping for both.

I did manage to score my Bandersnatch in excellent condition from a fellow MTBR a few months ago (heyhey Chris)..

V.
    EMD9, drop-bar Bandersnatch, Surly LHT, a couple of Ridleys
    ... and a lot more bruises than can be counted

Members who have read this thread: 0