Best Slice Resistant 29er Sidewall- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Best Slice Resistant 29er Sidewall

I'm a big guy, 300 lbs, who slices a lot of sidewalls. I've sliced rampages (not really surprising), but I've also now sliced a couple WTB Stouts. Is there another high volume (2.3 or larger) tire with reinforced sidewall or something that holds up to rock slices? I ride in Kansas City which has some rocky trails.

mtbr member
    when possible ride over the rocks instead of next to them. Not sure what else to say because my Stout has one of the thicker sidewalls I've felt. My trails are rocky too, and I scuff and scrape sidewalls fairly often but haven't managed to cut either of the tires you mentioned

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Sasquatch, you ride out at Landahl at all? I was out at the BikeStop group ride the other day Don;t know if you were out there or not.

Anyway, I rode Nobby Nics all spring tubeless and had no issues with the rocks out there. They have the SnakeSkin sidewalls and inflate slightly larger than their "2.25" would suggest. The grip is AWESOME! REALLY good tire but I'm trying out Racing Ralphs just for the heck of it. I'm a tire whore. Nics are NOT cheap but if you're all out of options...

likes to ride bikes
    Nevegal 2.2s? In 29er size they're bigger than spec (and heavy) but inexpensive too. They thrived in 50 miles of El Paso rocks and cactus with no problems at all.

I have a 2.4 Ardent to try on the front some time but have never ridden it. However I'd consider it a faster-rolling alternative, about the same weight as the Nevegal, and tougher sidewalls than the 2.2 Ardent.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 08-20-2010 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Sasquatch, you ride out at Landahl at all? I was out at the BikeStop group ride the other day Don;t know if you were out there or not.
    Burp is a one mile road ride from my house so I frequent it very often. I do try to make it up to Landahl as much as possible though. I wasn't up there for the group ride this week, but hope to make it sometime.

Meat Clever
    +1 on the Nobby Nics. Bontrager 29-3 TLR sidewalls are very beefy (not quite 2.3 tho). Ardent 2.4 has decent sidewall thickness. Saguro TNTs have crazy stout sidewalls, but will not mount on some rims and are < 2.3 by a hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Bedwards Of The West
    Schwalbe Big Apples have a meaty sidewall... certain other disadvantages on the trail though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

not so super...
    Look into getting a UST tire. The sidewalls are much Beefier bit the tire will also be 150-250g heavier.
    Nothing to see here.

rr
    I don't do PC
    The Ardent 2.4 has a reinforced sidewall but not sure if it's any thicker than the Stout, worth a try tho

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Specialized Captain Control 2.2 and Purgatory 2.4 2Bliss have beefier sidewalls than Rampage, Ardent 2.25, Ignitor, Nevegal, Mountain King, etc. They seem to be tougher than Stouts and roll much faster than Stouts. My preferred "trail" tires currently.

poser Administrator
    I think you are in WTB Dissent territory here. You will probably pay a premium with wear at your weight but they are the thickest tire you can get.

Other than that, you can run a double tube. Cut an old tube and insert it in tire then insert new tube. This will give you a much thicker casing perhaps yielding to sharp rocks less and hopefully reducing slices.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member

Bontrager FR3

Bontrager FR3 has some seriously thick sidewalls!!

At least the 60tpi version does. It runs 1,040grams. The 120tpi version costs $10 more, and only weighs 880grams, but I am not sure of the sidewall thickness on it.

likes to ride bikes
    I have one Captain Control 2.2, not a bad tire. It's lighter than a Nevegal, but the volume is a less than a Nevegal 2.2. I was surprised at how slim it was, more like a 2.1, and the OP wants a 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Specialized Captain Control 2.2 and Purgatory 2.4 2Bliss have beefier sidewalls than Rampage, Ardent 2.25, Ignitor, Nevegal, Mountain King, etc. They seem to be tougher than Stouts and roll much faster than Stouts. My preferred "trail" tires currently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've sliced several Specialized Captain Controls. Good luck with the Ardent 2.4, definitely the Bontrager FR3 would be a contender.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks all for the input. It seems that I'm gonna have to pay at least $60 for a lighter tire that has reinforced sidewalls. I think I may just go for the Dissent as speedgoat has them on sale right now for $35. Being 300 lbs, a 1500 gram tire doesn't worry me much. The only thing that does though is the mention of tire wear. Is the dissent compound any softer than the nevegal or other tires?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    Thanks all for the input. It seems that I'm gonna have to pay at least $60 for a lighter tire that has reinforced sidewalls. I think I may just go for the Dissent as speedgoat has them on sale right now for $35. Being 300 lbs, a 1500 gram tire doesn't worry me much. The only thing that does though is the mention of tire wear. Is the dissent compound any softer than the nevegal or other tires?
    It is definitely a softer compound but there is a ton of it. The stouts were definitely a softer compound too. If you got good mileage out of your stouts before cutting them then you will probably do the same with the dissents. The tread is seriously meaty.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    For the best price and sidewall thickness - go Geaux Saguaro TNT.

You will NOT cut the sidewall. The only drawback is the tightness on a Stan's Rim (not sure what you're using) and the tread is not huge. It's pretty nice fast tire that does well on loose stuff (I'm in Tucson, with lots of sharp rocks and loose stuff).

You can find them for about $35 - not too bad.

Hope it helps.

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd
    For the best price and sidewall thickness - go Geaux Saguaro TNT.

You will NOT cut the sidewall. The only drawback is the tightness on a Stan's Rim (not sure what you're using) and the tread is not huge. It's pretty nice fast tire that does well on loose stuff (I'm in Tucson, with lots of sharp rocks and loose stuff).

You can find them for about $35 - not too bad.

Hope it helps.
    +1 Sagauro TNT

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    Actual weight for the Dissent is 1300g. Soft compound but big, broad blocks.

The Bonty FR3 is also pretty sturdy, even in the Team Issue 120tpi version. Would recommend the 60tpi version for added toughness.

I second boomn's reminder to ride over the rocks rather than beside them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    In a 2.2, Specialized Captain Armadillo Elites are excellent in the sidewall department. Bontrager 29-3 Experts are good and +1 on the Saguaro TNTs. Also Specialized Purgatory Controls come in a 2.4 and seem adequate (sidewalls appear slightly beefier than Captain or Fast Trak Controls).

Cassoulet forever !
    Hutchinson Toro as a special casing protection for sidewall cuts, with functions very well in my experience.

They are a bit small in volume for what you are looking for, but i heard that a bigger version shall be produce.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    +1 For the FR3 tough sidewalls
    Obviously the Dissent has the best 29er sidewalls but is a pain to push uphill.

likes to ride bikes
    1300g... for one tire....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ardent 2.4 the EXO casing should resist cuts quite well

Rice.
    Not the Maxxis Aspen. I tore the sidewall 5 minutes into my first cat 1 race today.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I've had very good luck with the TNT Saguaros and I'm hard on tires. I'm running a FR3 and a Captain Armadillo on my other bike. So far, so good. All are tube less.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    or CST Caballeros with 29er tubes injected with Stans

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Along with the great advice to ride over rocks and not next to them (I had never thought of this), I have implemented the WTB Dissent for normal XC trail duty. In short its a kick arse tire, rolls great (much better than the stout), and hooks up like two horny teenagers. All clydes should add one to the arsenal. Unless you are a clyde weight weenie which is just down right stupid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How big is the Volume on the Dissent ??

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You can look it up here (along with most other 29er tires)

http://www.mtbtires.com/site2/

Members who have read this thread: 0