Best carrier for pick up?

Printable View

• 12-20-2010
    PillsonWheels
    Best carrier for pick up?
    Getting a new 29er (probably a Tallboy) and I have a Ford Ranger (regular bed). What's the best way to transport the bike without messing with removing the front wheel?
  • 12-20-2010
    Dan GSR
    1up usa rack

• 12-20-2010
    PillsonWheels
    I don't have a hitch on the truck so I'm looking for a way to carry it in the bed.
  • 12-20-2010
    thickfog
    http://biketubes.blogspot.com/2010/0...o-get.html?m=1

Bike stays clean, safe and will never fall off of a rack or get rear ended.
  • 12-20-2010
    havaclu
  • 12-20-2010
    PillsonWheels
    What keeps the InstaGator from falling over going around corners?
  • 12-20-2010
    Dan GSR
  • 12-20-2010
    havaclu
    it has some straps that lock into the tailgate or, I have mine bolted to the bed head rail. I also put one in a buddies new Tundra and attached it to the Toyota bed rail system.
  • 12-20-2010
    thickfog
    http://biketubes.blogspot.com/2010/0...ck-m:rolleyes: ight-have-to-get.html?m=1

Bike stays clean, safe and will never fall off of a rack or get rear ended.
  • 12-20-2010
    thickfog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PillsonWheels
    What keeps the InstaGator from falling over going around corners?

That's pretty neat.
  • 12-20-2010
    PillsonWheels
    Watched the video on the Instagator. Looks pretty cool. Unless your tailgate locks, though, you'd need to lock it up with a cable I assume.
  • 12-21-2010
    SeaBass_
    2X8 with a couple of front fork clamps screwed in. Trim it with a sawz-all to fit the contours of the front of your bed. Easy in, Easy out.
  • 12-21-2010
    Noclutch
    I use moto tie-downs, but on the stem instead of bars. It takes very little load to secure it- like less sag than body weight does, so I'd have a hard time imagining it being damaging in any way. Sometimes a bungie through the back wheel too. Cheap too.
  • 12-21-2010
    ssalmons
    Lay it down on the non-drive side in the bed....presto!
  • 12-21-2010
    dvo1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ssalmons
    Lay it down on the non-drive side in the bed....presto!

Agreed. What is the point of a truck if you don't use the box as intended. :skep:
  • 12-21-2010
    2Slo4U
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Noclutch
    I use moto tie-downs, but on the stem instead of bars. It takes very little load to secure it- like less sag than body weight does, so I'd have a hard time imagining it being damaging in any way. Sometimes a bungie through the back wheel too. Cheap too.

This is what I use. Can get six bikes in the back of a duramax short bed. When it's just me, I throw it in the back on the non drive side like others mentioned. Cheap quick and very painless. If I'm traveling, then I run a lock cable thru the bike and attach it to the cleats of the tie downs.

Although, the Dakine Pick-up Pad looks very interesting.
  • 12-21-2010
    No-throttle
    Check out this rack,
    http://www.pipelineracks.com/
  • 12-21-2010
    SnowMongoose
    Pickup Pad + one ratchet strap, good times.
  • 12-21-2010
    Vecsus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by No-throttle
    Check out this rack,
    http://www.pipelineracks.com/

Don't spend $180 on that. Using pvc pipe you can make something like that for less than $20. I have something similar in my truck for 2 bikes. Took about 30 minutes to make. Been working perfectly for 3 years now.
  • 12-21-2010
    Traktor
    Whatever kind of rack you get, you better have it delivered. I'm sure you'd be flumoxed wondering how the devil you'd get it home from the store.
  • 12-21-2010
    expostdelirium
    Touché!

I do 2 things: I use ratcheting straps (6.99 or so/pr. from Harbor Freight) attached to my handlebars by that rubber-coated hook, or I just throw it into the bed. I put it drive-side down b/c I don't want to take a chance on messing up brake system. Am I wrong to do it that way?

I also use my daughter's VW Beetle (so I DID have ulterior motives for not letting her take it to college), because my daily-driver won't hold my bike unless the top's down.
  • 12-21-2010
    smaxor
  • 12-21-2010
    Dan GSR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Traktor
    Whatever kind of rack you get, you better have it delivered. I'm sure you'd be flumoxed wondering how the devil you'd get it home from the store.

took me a second
    but

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • 12-22-2010
    slocaus
    Plenty of ideas here; thread has been going since July 2006. Sorry you are not the first...... ;)