Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107

    Best bike under $1,000.

    The title is pretty self explanatory, and I've done some research on it, but I was wondering if anyone can help with a hardtail for $1,000 or just a little below.

    I've seen a decent looking Scott, and the Raleigh Tokul 3.
    Any other hardtail bikes I should look out for?
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  2. #2
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    Salsa Timberjack has a 999.00 model.

    27.5+ Marine Pine Mountain @Performance but it is rigid.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Thanks for the info, although I really want front suspension for the mountains here.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMTB View Post
    Thanks for the info, although I really want front suspension for the mountains here.
    The Timber does, not sure what fork though.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Ah, I'll have a look just now. Thanks
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  6. #6
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    I see N+1 is in the horizon
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I see N+1 is in the horizon
    What's that?
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  8. #8
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 . While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1 , where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1 , where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

    Gotta love google
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 . While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1 , where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1 , where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

    Gotta love google
    Haha - I'll be selling the bike I have which keeps me at one, but I'll be acquiring a full suspension next year... Then after that whatever I can get away with. My girlfriend hates my new obsession/love
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    185
    Trek roscoe 7 is $1,069 (over budget), but a very solid bike. It will be comfortable, has a 1x setup, front suspension, and the fast tires look cool

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Trek roscoe 7 is $1,069 (over budget), but a very solid bike. It will be comfortable, has a 1x setup, front suspension, and the fast tires look cool

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Nice ride, how are those Tektro brakes? That would be my only turn off, but easy upgrade.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,029
    id get this = lot a bike for the $

    $920
    140mm Sektor Silver with Maxle Lite Thru Axle
    1x11 SLX drive
    RaceFace Aeffect Cranks
    WTB/Novatec 27.5 wheels
    Deore Brakes 180/160
    Threaded Bottom Bracket

    Vitus Bikes Sentier VRS Hardtail Bike - SLX 1x11 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    I was looking at that bike. Heard good stuff about it, and it looks really nice, too. Actually, the more I read up about it plus user reviews, the bike seems to be amazing for the money.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Trek roscoe 7 is $1,069 (over budget), but a very solid bike. It will be comfortable, has a 1x setup, front suspension, and the fast tires look cool

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    That is a nice looking bike. I'm on a Marlin 5 just now, but I already know I want something with better components and lighter frame... I like the fact you can route the cables for a dropper post. I'll be adding this to my list. Thanks for the information.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  15. #15
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,978
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMTB View Post
    I was looking at that bike. Heard good stuff about it, and it looks really nice, too. Actually, the more I read up about it plus user reviews, the bike seems to be amazing for the money.
    That's sweet too, just be careful with import taxes from the UK. (I maybe wrong here but maybe someone will chime in)
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Trek roscoe 7 is $1,069 (over budget), but a very solid bike. It will be comfortable, has a 1x setup, front suspension, and the fast tires look cool

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    That's sweet too, just be careful with import taxes from the UK. (I maybe wrong here but maybe someone will chime in)
    I'm actually from the UK, but travel to America 50% of the year, so could buy there and bring with me. Although it would probably price similar to shipping it.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Nice ride, how are those Tektro brakes? That would be my only turn off, but easy upgrade.
    Fair question, probably not great, although at this price point there will be compromises.

    I've been talking to a shop about this bike and chatting with other owners, most don't seem to mind them. Bigger complaint is the fork or weight

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by phalkon30; 09-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    174
    You can get XT brakes from JensonUSA for like $180-190.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6
    I second the Salsa Timberjack. I picked one up from REI last year. If you're an REI member you get 10% back on purchases so it was only $900. Membership is lifetime and costs around $20.

    It's a great bike. I did a lot of research and at the time it seemed like the way to get the most bike for the money. Good components, hydraulic brakes, decent Maxxis fork. I've ridden it pretty hard (for me) and I haven't had any problems. Crashed it a few times and it bounces right back. I haven't played with them yet but it also has adjustable dropouts so you can make it single speed and adjust the chainstay length slightly. Solid, fun bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarshallMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by red12 View Post
    I second the Salsa Timberjack. I picked one up from REI last year. If you're an REI member you get 10% back on purchases so it was only $900. Membership is lifetime and costs around $20.

    It's a great bike. I did a lot of research and at the time it seemed like the way to get the most bike for the money. Good components, hydraulic brakes, decent Maxxis fork. I've ridden it pretty hard (for me) and I haven't had any problems. Crashed it a few times and it bounces right back. I haven't played with them yet but it also has adjustable dropouts so you can make it single speed and adjust the chainstay length slightly. Solid, fun bike.
    Nice. I've put that on my list, which is around 5 bikes now. I don't really want to go over $1,000, but I would stretch to around 1,400...if possible.
    Apart from when it hurts, I mostly enjoy single track.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMTB View Post
    Haha - I'll be selling the bike I have which keeps me at one, but I'll be acquiring a full suspension next year... Then after that whatever I can get away with. My girlfriend hates my new obsession/love
    Get a new girlfriend!

  22. #22
    RAKC Industries
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherf View Post
    Get a new girlfriend!
    +1

    Im married and my bikes only come second to my kids. They take an equal spot to the wife. Buy her some new clothes or shoes (or her Honda Odyssey I got her allowed me a good bike budget last year, this year its no new toys....)

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,987
    What bike did you get?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    56
    You could probably score yourself a nukeproof scout.

Similar Threads

  1. Best mountain bike for under $1,000?
    By 288GTO in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2015, 05:54 PM
  2. Just absurd, $1,000,000 bike
    By Zomby Woof (MCM700) in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-13-2014, 06:10 AM
  3. Mini Ex, 2,000 lb class or 4,000 lb class?
    By tjp in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
  4. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 08:56 PM
  5. Mapping scale 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 for off-road???
    By chinaman in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.