Best 29ner Hardtail or full suspension for the buck with future proof upgradability?- Mtbr.com
    Aftermath
    Sep 2019

Best 29ner Hardtail or full suspension for the buck with future proof upgradability?

Iím 6í1/6í2ft 190lbs Iím looking for a Hardtail or Full suspension 29ner best bang for the buck with future proof upgradability like 12 speed cassette better forks down the road etc Iím really looking at the Scott Aspect XL 970 or 940 what you guys think? All I do is trails and a bit of downhill. Budget 300-600

I live to bike
    You'll definitely need something on the higher end of that budget if you want future-proofing for upgrades. Something with a tapered head tube. Thru axles if possible. Most such options start in the 800 - 1000 range. Jamis Komodo would be a nice choice
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 940 won't make it.
    Quick release hubs are two generations behind 12 x 148 rear and 15 x 110 front Boost standards.
    The 458mm chainstays are way too long. The geo hasn't been updated in many years. 69.5* head tube angle. No tapered head tube.
    The rear can't take a 2.5 or 2.6 tire for sure.
    Compare a Nukeproof Scout 290. It even comes with wide 29mm inner rim wheels.

I live to bike
    It's not too say you can't get a decent bike for 5-600, but you won't get something you can do all the upgrades to down the line.

Get something in that price range to get you going, then save up and upgrade the entire bike when you are ready, rather than trying to upgrade whatever you get now.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftermath23 View Post
    Budget 300-600
    Look for a solid used hardtail. That will be the best bang for your buck in this price range. Do not even consider full suspension at this price.

Most likely whatever you find will not be able to be upgrades to all the modern stuff. That's OK. Enjoy it and ride it like you stole it. Try not to put too much money into this bike. Keep saving up, when you have a bigger budget you can go for something with all the bells and whistles.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    In your shoes i would
    A- buy the best HT that fits me used about 550$.
    B- sell it in 4-12 months, repeat... buy the best HT you can find that is a good fit.
    C- avoid investing $ on upgrades other than tires.
    Maybe in 2 years if you feel the need you will have the budget for a used FS but HT are great.
    3 years ago i bought a great used HT no name, so lots of quality components and it still rides like new. I only switched to a smaller front ring to enjoy climbing.
    Paying 800$ get you much more than 500$ + 300$ upgrades.

Aftermath
    Sep 2019
    I found this 2013 Felt Edict Niner 3 for 600 full suspension 1x11 used Recently tuned it has everything except the back end is quick release and I donít think you can convert it to a axle or a 2018 Trek Marlin 6 300.00 I know Marlin does not have a tapered frame or true axles.

battle stag commander
    I will give two recommendations with the caveat that you may be looking for a used bike based on your budget. I would recommend either a Kona Honzo, or a Santa Cruz Chameleon Alu. The honzo has been the gold standard for really fun, capable, versatile hardtails for over a decade, at reasonable prices. The chameleon got a recent revamp, and is a super fun, but simple bike with similar pricing. As recommended Above, that Jamis Komodo is in this category, starting at a similar $1700 price point. For just over $1000 you get the Trek Roscoe with a downgraded fork relative to the others, and no dropper post.

Honzo aluminum starts at $1400 complete, but honestly, I would strongly recommend you look at the $2300 level Honzo Alu DL, or the Honzo ST (steel,) which get fairly substantial and noticeable upgrades of wheels, fork, drivetrain.

Similar situation for the Chameleon from SantaCruz with a base "D kit aluminum" starting at $1800 that I have some concerns with as far as fork and drivetrain go, and a $2400 R-kit with acceptable components.

If you need to spend less than $1000 on something like a Trek Roscoe, I would strongly suggest looking at a used bike. A point of caution against Motobecane bikes. They have appealing looking price points that are not worth it, often using 5 year old compenents that will be more and more difficult to replace, and are simply not fun bikes. Just stay away from Motobecane, They are Walmart quality for too much money. Sorry for all the words, I hope some of that is helpful, and I hope you find something that works well and is super fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Vitus Nucleus series from Chain Reaction Cycles is probably your best bet new here (aside from finding a great closeout). They're pretty darn solid for the price.

I'd agree with the above advice to not think too much about upgrading this bike. Ride it, have a blast, save that money for a complete bike in the price range up. The exception to that is if you like the bike and it has a Suntour fork, they have an upgrade program that makes swapping out to a better one of their forks affordable.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    His price point makes it virtually impossible to select what would be a future proof bike.

You can probably find a used 2015~2018 frame and work your way up in parts but it'll put you in the same place buying something new with everything you'd want already on it. I second that, Honzo or Chameleon Alum, you can't go wrong there, it will be a while till you'd need to upgrade something there.
    2019 Ibis DV9
    2019 Niner Air 9 2-Star
    2018 Orbea Loki 27+ H10

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftermath23 View Post
    Iím 6í1/6í2ft 190lbs Iím looking for a Hardtail or Full suspension 29ner best bang for the buck with future proof upgradability like 12 speed cassette better forks down the road etc Iím really looking at the Scott Aspect XL 970 or 940 what you guys think? All I do is trails and a bit of downhill. Budget 300-600
    This price range just isn't doable. At best, you will find a used Marlin with basic components for that.

For comparison, I was selling my Trek X-Caliber 8. The X-Cal is a great bike with great geo. It also comes stock with mid-range components BUT is more easily upgradeable IMO. I threw on a RaceFace 30T chain ring, SunRace 11-40T 10sp cassette, new chain, Shimano XT 11sp M8000 GS rear derailleur (limited to 10sp but upgradeable to 11 in the future), eThirteen chain guide/bash guard, upgraded 180mm IceTech rotors, Maxxis Minion Tubeless tires, and more. The only thing I didn't do was toss on an IR Dropper (but was on the list! LoL).

As is, I wouldn't take a dime below $1000 (and that is great deal for a $1200 bike with over $700 of upgrades). Stock, I wouldn't take a penny less than $600.

I think your potential issue is that not many people buy a entry HT and then start specking it out with high-end or better components. The people that buy bikes in you price range are casual riders who like to spend weekends on paved trails through city parks with the occasional bumpy stuff. This means you are going to be extremely hard-pressed to find bikes in that price range with any decent components or upgradeability. So if you go ahead and spend the money to upgrade it to the levels you're wanting (especially fork-wise), you will have spent just as much money (if not more) on upgrades than you would have if you just would have bought a new mid to high end HT to begin with.

Simply put, you will have to upgrade your price range or downgrade your expectations.

My X-Cal (dubbed Alex TrekBek):
    Turning Out My Truck X-Cal Hardtail

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 29ner Hardtail or full suspension for the buck with future proof upgradability?-img_2011-2.jpg  

Best 29ner Hardtail or full suspension for the buck with future proof upgradability?-img_3734.jpg  

-----------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Trek X-Caliber 8
    2019 Evil Wreckoning

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrekbek View Post
    This price range just isn't doable. At best, you will find a used Marlin with basic components for that.

For comparison, I was selling my Trek X-Caliber 8. The X-Cal is a great bike with great geo. It also comes stock with mid-range components BUT is more easily upgradeable IMO. I threw on a RaceFace 30T chain ring, SunRace 11-40T 10sp cassette, new chain, Shimano XT 11sp M8000 GS rear derailleur (limited to 10sp but upgradeable to 11 in the future), eThirteen chain guide/bash guard, upgraded 180mm IceTech rotors, Maxxis Minion Tubeless tires, and more. The only thing I didn't do was toss on an IR Dropper (but was on the list! LoL).

As is, I wouldn't take a dime below $1000 (and that is great deal for a $1200 bike with over $700 of upgrades). Stock, I wouldn't take a penny less than $600.

I think your potential issue is that not many people buy a entry HT and then start specking it out with high-end or better components. The people that buy bikes in you price range are casual riders who like to spend weekends on paved trails through city parks with the occasional bumpy stuff. This means you are going to be extremely hard-pressed to find bikes in that price range with any decent components or upgradeability. So if you go ahead and spend the money to upgrade it to the levels you're wanting (especially fork-wise), you will have spent just as much money (if not more) on upgrades than you would have if you just would have bought a new mid to high end HT to begin with.

Simply put, you will have to upgrade your price range or downgrade your expectations.

My X-Cal (dubbed Alex TrekBek):
    Turning Out My Truck X-Cal Hardtail

I did something similar with my wife's Orbea Loki, came with a shimano drivetrain and brakes... M500's and I believe SLX drivetrain, don't recall which. Ended up changing the drivetrain to GX Eagle, brakes to Code RSC, SDG Dropper, Carbon bars Centerline X rotors (considering Shimano's Icetech rotors.) CB Stamp 3 pedals, and second wheelset. Yet, it was a 2100 bike when I got it, stock. Upgrades should of been close to +$1600.
    2019 Ibis DV9
    2019 Niner Air 9 2-Star
    2018 Orbea Loki 27+ H10

banned
    Oct 2019
    The money is simply not enough. For future upgradability avoid Aspect (non-boost frame). In Scott world minimum is cheapest Scale.
    Check direct sellers like Canyon for example, but still be prepared to give much more money than 300-600$. Realistic figure is 800-1000$.
    You can go a bit cheaper with chiner, but that begs the question is that a worthy upgrade platform?
    Anyway bare minimum: boost dropouts, PF92 or BB30 bottom bracket, Taper head tube. And that costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Ride!
    Buy a steel hardtail with sliding dropouts that can accept 27.5+ or 29 and designed around 120-140 front fork. With something like this you can run singlespeed or geared, plus or regular wheelset, rigid or dropper post, short or long travel fork, XC, AM or bikepacking... the list goes on and upgrades as you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Like what *onespeed* stated

BUY A USED BICYCLE!