Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?

Ok so I am looking at getting a new bike, and everything I read is pointing me toward a 29er HT. I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area so I was wondering what is working for people and what is not. Also, I am about 6'5'' and about 185lbs, so the bike will probably have to be an XXL or at least an XL. My price range is under $1800

So basically what is the best 29HT for tall guys for under $1800 ???

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    I'm 6'3 and ride a large for my xc race bike and an xl sir9 ss as I wanted the extra room
    when standing. The first minute on a 29er and I felt better and more at one with the
    bike than I did on my 26er that I had for years, it's nice to have a bike that fits you.
    Do you want gears on your bike or not as that will change the price. Also what kind of
    riding are you into.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Stumpjumper Comp 29" comes in a 23" frame size with MSRP of $1850, so you may be able to get it for a bit less.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9247

I built up an Access XCL 29'r in a 23" frame size (I'm 6'5" too) and hung some decent parts on it for less than $1800. I love the 23" frame size. It's nice to have a bike that actiually fits instead of trying to get a 21" to work.

The top of the line Access can be found on sale occasionally for less than $1800 (not currently though and they look to be out of stock on 23" in that model, although they do have 23" in stock in the next model down) and has a pretty good part spec for the money. You'd just have to keep on eye on prices and available stock.

The Kona Big Kahuna ($1499) comes in a 22" frame size, so that may be worth a look too.

I'm sure there others out there with XXL frames. Those are just two that come to mind right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I want gears...... I like to do some XC stuff, I ride a fair amount on the local XC course, but I also need some all mountain capabilities, as I like to ride the mountains, so i need to be able to climb to the top, and on the way down i keep the air time minimal, although i do tend to push the speed envelope. I am thinking a HT with a 100mm front fork.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Chumba HX2. You'd have to build it yourself but it's about as AM capable as a 29er HT gets! It's designed around 120mm of front travel. They have 3 different build kits you can order it with but they're just above your budget. You may be able to talk them down or have them put a cheaper kit together for you

http://www.chumbaracing.com/hx2_frames.shtml

EDIT: My bad. Forgot about the 6'5", XL/XXL thing... For info, my friend is 6'6" and rides a 22" Diamondback frame and he fells it's slightly small. I'd say the Specialized XXL/23" frame would be a safe fit for you
    Last edited by DFYFZX; 02-28-2010 at 08:40 PM.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    6'4 here and i like the way a 21"/XL specialized fits. that said, a 23/XXL is certainly a possibility. i'd stay away from the Jamis 29ers, we sell them in my shop, and they are way too small for a large guy. I can barely get the seat high enough on the 21" size and the front end is barely any different across all sizes. the headtube is super super low, i'd have a 4-5 inch drop from seat to bars once i got the seat in the right place on their 21" frame. that's too much for a road bike, let alone a mtb.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, I like the looks of the Stumpjumper Comp 29 because it comes in a 23" and has a pretty good price. Does anybody know anything about this bike? Does anybody have one?

It just seems hard to find XXL bikes, new or used. I don't think many shops carry them, and there aren't many used ones online. I guess it sucks being a big guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 23" Access 29 frame is a great deal for tall guys. I moved from a 21" frame, which was doable, but the 23" frame fits. You can find it new for ~$100, which makes it relatively cheap to try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

You need to look up Robopopp's thread on his 2010 Stumpy 29er HT 23"

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...stumpjumper+ht

Sorry in advance if this thread link is not right. Search under robopopp and you should get there. He seems very happy with his ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks TJXC, he has some good info on that thread, although I am a little worried about the rear brake, as I have heard that people have been having problems with them.

Also, the stock bike comes with a 90mm Reba fork, I was hoping for more like 110mm, but someone mentioned that there are some spacers that can be removed to gain some extra travel. I would love to hear more about that.

Also wondering if it would be feasible to just replace the fork with a fox fork?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How about spending $99 more and getting a 22" Kona hei hei 29er? My son got a 19" and he is 6'2" and it fits him well. Also I'm 6'5" and have a 09 Jamis Dakota 22" and a Jamis Dragon 21" 29er. Both fit me very well. Also try the Kona Kahuna's too. Just my 'pinion.

Millman
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    The 23" Access 29 frame is a great deal for tall guys. I moved from a 21" frame, which was doable, but the 23" frame fits. You can find it new for ~$100, which makes it relatively cheap to try.

Yeah, but do you think that the frame TT feels a little short on the 23"?

The Access is clearly a better frame but I would probably go with the Specialized for a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 6ft5" and ride a Specialized in XXL (23") which fits me well, the 21" just felt too small. So a Specialized bike is an option, I also struggled to find another manufacturer who makes large framed bikes.

The Giant XTC 29er comes in a 22" frame, but I've not tried that one for size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

wrong place

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Yeah, but do you think that the frame TT feels a little short on the 23"?

The Access is clearly a better frame but I would probably go with the Specialized for a complete bike.
    Not to me, but it really depends on how long your legs are vs the rest of your body.

2 guys, same height, with different proportions (legs vs torso) will fit differently on the bike. I'm longer in the legs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just picked up a Giant Xtc2 29er in a large. I am 6'4" and it fits like a glove , their Xl Im sure would be a great fit for you as well. I love this bike. I just put 735mm Sunline Vone Os bars that have a mild rise , mild sweep but are perfectly shoulder width for me. So far I have been very very pleased with this bike. I was literally an hour from going into my lbs and buying a Redline Monocog Flight and this bike came up on craigslist , literally right then. First call and sold. I was learly with a large but after the bars , wtb speed v seat and sunline vone pedals and some fine tuning I am in ride heaven. Smooth as butter and quick. Will post pics soon.

The Giant turned out to be a great 29er , from the oversized tapered Head to the Marz fork made just for these bikes. 11-36 29er gearing , The shimano hydro's are killer. After 3 months of stewing online over different bikes . The Kenda Karma's also come offset with a 2.2 front and 1.9 rear , Me likey. The frame feels quick yet comfy and after a couple "oh no" moments she pulled me right out of it just like my quads suspension/frame/tire combo has time and time again. I give the ride 2 snaps and a crank spin.
    Last edited by MongoFlight; 03-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Giant Xtc 2 29er

Just a couple snapshots after dialing in the fit with the new bars and seat. I love these bars , Not flat like the current trend but not a high rise... jusssst right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?-image031.jpg  

Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?-image029.jpg  

Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?-image028.jpg  

Best 29er HT For a Tall Guy?-image026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, it seems like specialized and giant are the only major manufactures that make a large enough bike. I have been looking at the specialized, and I like the stumpjumper comp, but it is a little spendy. I was thinking of maybe the Rockhopper SL

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253

is a good balance of price and quailty, but I dont really know. No shops near where I live stock big bikes so I kind to just have to get the best idea by looking at the specs online, so if anyone has one, or has looked at or ridden one, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I did a quick comparison on the top tube (horizontal) lengths, Hardrock 29er XXL is 660mm, Rockhopper 29er XXL is 670mm, but the Giant XTC 29er XL just 635mm. So the Rockhopper could be a good choice, probably what I'd have to go for given the choice with my long back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 6'4" and the XL Surly Karate Monkey frame fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden. That frame can be built into almost anything, it's very strong and very well priced. It's the first bike I've ridden where I don't feel "squeezed" into it. I'm sure there are a lot of frames that are better/more expensive, but probably not many that offer more value and versatility so if you want to experiment with the build, it gives you lots of options. I find the ride of the Karate Monkey combined with the fit to be very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut
    Yeah, I like the looks of the Stumpjumper Comp 29 because it comes in a 23" and has a pretty good price. Does anybody know anything about this bike? Does anybody have one?

It just seems hard to find XXL bikes, new or used. I don't think many shops carry them, and there aren't many used ones online. I guess it sucks being a big guy.

I'm riding that bike in 23 and it has been a great bike
    so far, after a few small changes to meet my riding style.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zagnut
    Yeah, it seems like specialized and giant are the only major manufactures that make a large enough bike. I have been looking at the specialized, and I like the stumpjumper comp, but it is a little spendy. I was thinking of maybe the Rockhopper SL

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253

is a good balance of price and quailty, but I dont really know. No shops near where I live stock big bikes so I kind to just have to get the best idea by looking at the specs online, so if anyone has one, or has looked at or ridden one, let me know.
    Well, I just took a Rockhopper SL SS out of the box and began to set it up for me. It is a 21" and has a VERY roomy TT length...25.6"...that is longer than the Stumpys in the equivalent frame size AFAIK.

I am 6'2" with long arms and I had to go to a 90mm stem and move the saddle forward, and I am a dead on fit for most XLs at the 25" TT range.

The Giant is not a big XL due to the laid back ST angle. I can't imagine how a 6'4" guy would fit a LG...I fit the XL and sometimes felt cramped.

I sure would look at the Rocky SL if the rest of the bike fit your needs.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

tall guy

I know it is easy to focus on ST lengths and it sounds like you laready know to look at ETT too. Don't forget about HT length.

Another way to go is a 08 or earlier mamasita before they chopped the TT length. I am 6' 6" and mine fits me well. A newer Mama/Dos/Selma may work too. I rode a 23" specilaized and it felt too big to race on (not nimble enough).

I find I prefer to buy a uncut fork so I can leave the steerer longer, or if a shop is going to order something maybe they can ask the manufacturer to leave it uncut for you?

mtbr member
    Make sure to check out Salsa too. They have some frames that fit the taller folks.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am 6'4 and just picked up an XL Cannondale 29er Flash 2 Carbon - fits like a glove. Cannondale's 29ers have a 25.3 TT which is great. Other bikes that I was looking at were the Niner Air9 in XL and the Salsa Mamasita in XL - both are in and around 25.25 inch TT which is a great length IMO.

Cheers

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I sent a PM I have an XL Salsa Mamasita that i am going to put up for sale soon
    Last edited by spunkmtb; 03-19-2010 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    This looks like a good deal:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/198...-29er-Bike.htm

22" XL is suitable up to 6ft 6" it reckons.

Members who have read this thread: 0