best 29" spring tire (sloppy mud)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

best 29" spring tire (sloppy mud)

It's getting to be time here in northern Michigan to start planning for the early season mud riding. It will be my first spring on a 29er, so I'm wondering what the best sloppy mud tire is available out there for this? My first thoughts are to try the Kenda Nevegal 2.2's, then switch the rear to a Small Block 8 when things dry up. My FSR came with Elixir 2.3 and Captain 2.0. Any experience with these in mud? I also have a pair of Exiwolf 2.3's, but I don't think those will shed mud very well. Thanks!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Conti Mountain King 2.4's. Another pretty good tire in slop, if you can find them are the Michelin All Mountain 29'ers. Both are nice at self cleaning.

Bedwards Of The West
    I bought Michelin AT's after asking the same question...haven't ridden them yet, but I've heard LOTS of good reports about them in the mud.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Former Bike Wrench
    The Michelin AT's are rocking in the mud for me...not great on the roots but virtually clog proof in the mud.

aka baycat
    +1 on MKs. Tread pattern works well in shedding mud with the widely spaced tall triangle knobs. Hooks up well too when the trail conditions turn soupy and muddy.

Is dang happy!
    Skinny tires work well in deep crazy sticky mud but are not great in anything else. Exiwolfs were not as bad as I thought they would be for our local mud but it is sandy and free of clay.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WTB Stout. They stopped making them, but plenty places have 'em in stock.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

err, 27.5+
    +1 on the Michelin XC AT
    Best mud shedder I have run in a 29er tire. I have run the MK2.4 in 26in and found that it too sheds well, but IME not quite as fast as the AT.

I also like the Bontrager ACX in the mud. The tread pattern is somewhat like the MK2.4 in that it has a lot of smaller knobs with decent spacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You are going to piss off a lot of people riding the trails in the spring mud here in the mitten. They get pretty anal about it, and I can't deny that it leaves pizza cutter tracks for months later, so proceed at your own risk. My vote? Large Marge's! I would love to have something like that for just those conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

We don't ride the MTB trails in the spring

Original OP here; I agree, many people (including myself) get PO'd when the MTB trails are torn up by idiots in the spring who don't know any better. We have thousands of acres of state land that have two tracks and other trails dedicated to spring riding. Many of the snowmobile trails still have ice and snow packed onto them after the snowmobile season officially closes, and that makes for great spring riding.

I actually just found a pair of Bontrager ACX 29x2.2 (used) in my parts stash that came on an old wheelset I bought last year. I think I'll give those a try first, they seem to have some widely-spaced knobs that look like they'll shed mud nicely.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    +1 Mountain Kings, 2.4.

Living the thug life.
    The Bontrager Mud X's are by far the best tire I have ever used in the mud. They have received great reviews out there as well.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    +1 fo michy XC AT
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    May 2007
    In my neck of the woods, there's a couple places that are fine to ride in the wet season for the most part. One drains extremely well and has most of the trails covered in pine needles - it's almost never muddy, save for a spot here and there, even when it's raining. The other is all rock - can get slick, though.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Birthday Collector
    Here in NorCal I will also give a nod to the Michelin AT 2.0 - GREAT rear tire when it's wet. Been running the (discontinued) Specialized Resolution Pro 2.3 in the front for EVERYTHING and it has been a great tire. I'll be sad when my last one is gone. Captain in the 2.2 seems to work OK in the mud as a rear also, unless it is the cloggy, clay-laden stuff. Michelin is still the better of them though. I was surprised at how well the 2.3 Exiwolf (ran those as my rear for a long time) actually did in the mud and even loose stuff as a rear tire. Did not like it on the front, which is the way I felt about the Captain also. I hear great things about the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in all conditions too - that may be my front tire when the Resolutions are worn out.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 0