Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail

A buddy of mine who's an engineer and one of the 29er pioneers in CT has been fillet brazing frames in his spare time for a couple of years, but he's now officially a bike company (Belltown Bikes), and he built this insanely custom 29er frame for me. Just had to show it off here.

I wanted a steel hardtail with short chainstays and slackish head angle that would accept my 120 thru axle Manitou, and Bob nailed it. Check the unique touches: upward curved seatstays, tubular brace behind the head tube (drilled for derailleur cable routing), offset seat tube with plate mount front derailleur, thru the toptube routing for the dropper seatpost cable, and rear disc brake brace made out of a salvaged piece of brake rotor. The seat tube reinforcement has a cutout of a bell on the front and a T (my initial) on the back!

The frame came out at 5 lbs 1 ounce with f. derailleur, seatpost collar, and powdercoat. It has 16.9 chainstays, 43.25 wheelbase, 12.75 bottom bracket height, 23.5 effective top tube, 73 degree effective seat tube angle, and 70 degree head angle. There's a BBG bashguard on the way to replace the big ring, and an orange annodized seat post collar to match the Mango CK headset. And before anyone asks, I do plan to cut down the steerer to lose a some of the spacers. The whole bike is 28.2 lbs as shown.

First ride was in the snow yesterday, and it works and feels great. It should be just the ticket for New England rock gardens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown1.jpg  

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown3.jpg  

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown5.jpg  

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thats pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Holy Moly I never noticed how much tire clearance that Manitou reverse arch provides on 29er tires.

mtbr member
    nice ride

Axles of Evil

Rear stay brace

Piece of rotor salvaged for a unique brace.

Peace & Love
    i REALLY like it! Very cool and congrats!

You know, for kids
    yup, that's pretty trick

Awesome job.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

Training for vacation
    I'll take one!

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Dad
    Piece of rotor salvaged for a unique brace.
    ByStickel's been using that for years (seems like). Overall a great looking bike with some very unique touches.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    I like! How much does he want for a custom frame like that? I'm not too concerned about personalization but do care about fit. Does he have contact information?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I like! How much does he want for a custom frame like that? I'm not too concerned about personalization but do care about fit. Does he have contact information?

Ronnie.
    You can contact him at [email protected]. His name is Bob Spooner.

mtbr member
    very custom, very nice, and very cool.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I admit it, I am a little bit jealous.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very nice..........I really like the drilled out brace behind the headtube....This guy will have ZERO problems selling quite a few of these bad boys..Well done...CF.

Witty McWitterson
    nice! I really like the brace cable stop idea. good execution.
    Just a regular guy.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Feel like the manufacture logo needs moved up about 3 or so inches.

Other than that... I really like it.

Putting it on my "next bike list".

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    looks like a tight ride! Looks like 120mm front ends will be getting more popular this year

mtbr member
    That looks the nuts!

Have you got a better pic of the offset seat tube, possibly also showing tyre clearance too? Thanks
    Last edited by bonesetter2004; 02-07-2010 at 04:18 AM.

mtb remember
    " tubular brace behind the head tube (drilled for derailleur cable routing) "

What's to prevent mud and water from getting in those holes?
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very nice! What's the tyre clearance like?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    very nice. Like the looks.

Personally not a fan of cables through tubesets. But props for the rest.

mtbr member
    I like it! Maybe a bit too custom though. But I'm sure he can custom build a less custom bike.

Good luck to Bob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    slick n trick, i love it.

how much?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice, But How Much $$$ We Talking (frame Only) ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here are some pics of the tire clearance and seatstay offset. Closest hard points to the tire are the seatstay bridge and the derailleur body; the seat and chain stays clear with plenty to spare. The tire is a Bontrager ACX 2.2 mounted on Blunt rims, which is a pretty big volume tire in my book, about the same as a Rampage or the Conti Mountain King 2.4 I have on the front. We had a wheel with the MK 2.4 in there with no problem. New England doesn't have much clay soil, so clogging isn't the problem it might be elsewhere. Of course it's custom, so it could have had as much clearance as I wanted within crankarm limitations.

I'd rather let Bob answer any pricing questions. As far as water getting in, Bob used internal conduit brazed at both ends for the seatpost cable. He probably could have done the same for the derailleur cable routing holes in the headtube brace, but they're pretty small and high up. I'm going to treat that and the rest of the frame with Frame Saver anyway. I'm normally not a fan of internal cable routing either, but the routing of the Gravity Dropper cable really cleared up what would have been a rat's nest of cables otherwise.

I let a temporarily bikeless friend ride the Belltown today on a group ride at Case Mt. in Manchester, one of the rockiest, most technical areas hereabouts. Based on his wide smile and the fact that he pretty much disappeared from the rest of us, I think he like the bike just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown6.jpg  

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown7.jpg  

Belltown Bikes All Mountain Hardtail-belltown8.jpg  

mtbr member
    thats impressive, must be nice having your buddy build a frame for you...

mtbr member
    Hey man I'm from ct too what town iS he in? Also can u pm me just a general range of price
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ricot83
    Hey man I'm from ct too what town iS he in? Also can u pm me just a general range of price
    He's in East Hampton, CT. Here's the contact info again: [email protected].

Rather than me getting in the middle of this more than I already have, here are some comments direct from Bob that were posted on another site:

"I first saw the recycled disk brace on a Stickle frame. Lord knows if he was the first. It's neat.

East Hampton at one time had 30 bell factories...hence the name. I struggled with a name for my little operation. I wasn't too big on plastering my own name on the DT. The kids and I came up with a dozen names, but none semed right. We finally went with Belltown. My buddy Rob is a sign/sticke maker and I traded him my old FSR for stickers.

Al's was #12, and I'm just about done with #13. I'm confident of the fabrication by now, but am still tweaking the process. Every one is very different at this point. Perhaps the designs will begin to narrow down and I'll actually have a certain "style". I do like short chainstay bikes that like to go around corners...that's for sure.

I have no intention of feeding my family with this deal. I would have to pump out 2 frames/week. If that is the schedule then one is pumping out plain-jane (no offence GI) frames. I like doing the fancy-pants stuff. There are a few builders getting by doing 15 frames/year...but one has to have a strong following for that.

I have a few more projects in the works and am looking forward to riding this 650B rando/commuter I'm working on now. Just brazed my first fork last night.

Warning: advert alert!

I have no website. If you think you may like to have me build a frame...shoot me an email. I would like some interesting projects. I want to stay with local riders though. My intent would be involve the rider as much as possible in the build.

I have no set price structure at this time. But, if you look around at other builders you will come up with an idea of the range. Actually nailing down a price would depend on what we come up with.

At some point, I'll post up some pics of some of the other frames.

Thanks for the kind words, all!"

B

Nov 2009
    Great Job Bob! Gang, I'm new to the Mountain Bike deal. Met Bob 15 years ago when the both of us raced Go Karts. Bob then dragged me into white water kayaking. When he left kayaking and got into biking I said I was not following him......guess what! Bob is meticulous with everything he does in life. A talented guy with whatever he puts his hands on. I will own a Belltown SS 29er somewhere down the road. But from the sounds of it I may have to get in line. Bob, GREAT job! For the record, I saw this bike when it had not be assembled and was still on the jig. A real neat process.

Jan 2010

Prototype Rider

I've been riding with Bob for... jeeze... what 20 years now?!?!? and am the proud owner of frame #5. Lets just say that he gets what works here in the NE woods...

D3

mtbr member
    Word is 1500 on these frames

Members who have read this thread: 0