Avid BB7s and Surly Karate Monkey- Mtbr.com
    NJ_TX_KY Nomad
    Mar 2004

Avid BB7s and Surly Karate Monkey

Has anyone had any interference problems (read that as annoying rubbing) with Avid BB7s and 185mm rotors on a Karate Monkey? I have had to perform some MAJOR surgery on my set up to eliminate this interference problem. My problem is only on the front brake and no problems whatsoever on the rear. Very very strange!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The steel disc tabs on the fork are thinner than most aluminum tabs.
    It is common to have the caliper mounting bolts to rub on the rotor if you do not use a washer or two between the bolt head and the mount. No "MAJOR surgery" needed.

If this is not the problem you are having please be more specific as to what is rubbing where.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cold Blooded
    Yeah Man! The karate is my second steel frame I have run the avids on with an aluminum duallie in between. The bolts rubbed the rotors ever so slightly on both of the steel frames, but no problems on the aluminum. I had little washers saved from my first steel build. It is certainly easy enough to try.

NJ_TX_KY Nomad
    Mar 2004

The caliper is rubbing on the rotor

The caliper is actually rubbing on the rotor. It's the damndest thing I've ever seen. The bolts were rubbing too but I did the washer thing and took care of that. I just wonder if the adapter bracket is the problem?

What part of the rotor is rubbing on which part of the caliper?

Be sure you have the correct bracket and it is mounted in the correct direction.
    mtbtires.com

NJ_TX_KY Nomad
    Mar 2004

Outside part of the rotor

The outboard part of the rotor is rubbing on the inboard part of the caliper. I'm pretty sure I have the adapter bracket mounted in the correct direction. You can really only mount it one way and be able to mount the caliper to it right?

Quote Originally Posted by PISS Off #31
    The outboard part of the rotor is rubbing on the inboard part of the caliper. I'm pretty sure I have the adapter bracket mounted in the correct direction. You can really only mount it one way and be able to mount the caliper to it right?
    Do you mean the rotor is topping out in the caliper? The outer edge is hitting?

If you are using the correct bracket and it is mounted correctly you may not have the correct size concave washer stack. Adding a flat washer under one or both of the washer stacks can fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0