Arch's on LaserDisc Lite hubs or Shimano WH-MT75 XT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Arch's on LaserDisc Lite hubs or Shimano WH-MT75 XT?

Looking for a light-ish, solid set of wheels to run using stan's sealant and regular (non UST or TLR/2Bliss) tires, Weirwolfs or Rampages.

Found good deals on the two wheelsets mentioned. Both weigh slightly over 1800 grams, and price difference is within $20. The XT set seem to have better engagement, but the Arch's are wider and may play better with sealant and regular tires (to be honest, I have no idea how to run regular tires with sealant on UST rims).

I weigh 190 and ride XC in the rocky Northeast on a steel HT. No hucking, but drop off the occasional ledge.

So, does one wheelset outshine the other? Any advice would be appreciated.

Antonio

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    both sound like good options but i like the wide rims and have had a few buddys who have had problems with the latest xt freehubs. i'd go with the wtb/stans set for these reasons.
    good luck and ride hard!

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's the direction I'm leaning towards, but am wondering if the XT freehub issue had been resolved.

mtbr member
    Well now let's see if you like shitty engagement then go with the Lazers, if on the other hand engagment is important to you go for some XT's. As for the freehub issue, can't say I've heard of it, but I also haven't needed to check into them so haven't done any research. To note the Lazers have an alu freehub that's very soft and the engagement as said is crap - sposed to be 10 degree, but to really get it to engage you have to back pedal another 10 degrees Now if you want nice light hub the Lazers would more fit that bill than the XT's (again haven't researched them, don't know if they dropped significant weight from previous versions - previous versions were boat anchors).

For the price of either of those hubs, I'd consider going for some HOPE Pro2s to be quite honest, I think you might even find them for cheaper than the WTBs and the engagement will be loads better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Laser Discs have such a big dead spot that they are worthless. XT's at 36pts engagement is the deal. The arch rims are tons better but it will not matter because those WTB hubs are crap. Trust me i have a pair of velocity/laser discs from Mike garcia and hey have not been used since hadleys and kingss made it to my stable 5 years ago.....
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    boat anchors)[/COLOR][/I].

For the price of either of those hubs, I'd consider going for some HOPE Pro2s to be quite honest, I think you might even find them for cheaper than the WTBs and the engagement will be loads better.
    the pro2 has far less engagement points than the new xt, and the freewheel is aluminum. in my book that spells pos, just like the lazer disc.

mtbr member
    Everyone's allowed to have an opinion, that's what makes the world so interesting Can't see how you can even compare the Lazer to the Pro2s and call them crap.
    That being said I can't say I've ever heard anyone complain about the engagement of the normal Pro2s as compared to something like the Lazers, won't get into the SS version with steel freehub and better engagement - going on 1.5 years on mine easiest hub to convert to whatever axle size you want to run.
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack
    the pro2 has far less engagement points than the new xt, and the freewheel is aluminum. in my book that spells pos, just like the lazer disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the newest shimano wheelset are very, very well made.

new hubs are a huge step forward vs. the older generations and reasonably light. the new xtr is even SERIOUSLY light with ti freehub. my XT wheelset weighs only 1790g despite of the steel freehub (!) and came with tubeless valves and skewers. very stiff for the weight and decent engagement (as long you haven't tried i9...).

The WTB hubs are ok but nothing special and a lot will depend on the build quality of the WTB set. Stans rims are nice but rims are the less expensive part of the wheels ...

go shimano IMO.

mtbr member
    I just relegated my Arch/WTB LDL wheel to a backup role. I used it for almost a year set up for SSing. Over time the less than stellar engagement became evident, particularly when climbing in technical sections or spinning fast. It increasingly felt like I was missing engagement points and I had a fear of the hub blowing up during an endurance race or ride.
    The wheel was light and had very little drag so it rolled fast and smooth. I might consider using it again in flatter and fast rides.
    My new wheel added a little weight at the hub but It's difficult to notice, the engagement improvement is both significantly improved and appreciated.
    Hope this helps in your considerations. Let us know how it turns out.
    Cheers,
    M

mtb remember
    Forgive my weighing in late on this, but if you haven't already made your decision...I would HIGHLY recommend you find a way to ride a LDL hub before you buy a wheelset built on them. I made the mistake of ordering a custom wheelset last year built with LDL hubs, due to price and weight. The engagement was so annoying that I had new wheels built on Hope Pro2's within a week (no comparison, by the way). I seriously thought the rear hub was broken, and took the wheel to 2 different bike shops because I didn't believe the first guy when he told me "that's just how they roll". Beyond the glacial lock time, you get this nasty, spongy creep when they finally do start to engage. I have heard of people who don't seem to mind them, though....so maybe I'm just oddly picky, or maybe my rear hub was defective after all. My wife has a wheelset with last year's XT hubs and I actually like them. In my opinion, way better than the WTB hubs. Either way, I think with LDL hubs - try before you buy.
    Last edited by southy; 02-02-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I actually have both the hubs in question. I have XT's on my hardtail 29er and LDL's on my fs 26er. I've been running the LDL's for about two years and haven't had any problems. The XT's tend to develop a little play/looseness from time to time. Nothing major but it is annoying tightening them up.

I have both bikes sitting in my room with me now and after comparing them side by side the LDL has a slightly slower engagement. I would never be able to tell the difference unless they were both right next to each other for comparison.

On the trail, it has never bothered me in the slightest. So personally, I don't have anything bad to say about them. Super light, low maintenance, and they've take all the abuse an aggressive 190lb rider can dish out.

That's my 2 cents take it or leave it.

Members who have read this thread: 0