Anyway to run a 29inch wheel on a 26inch fork?- Mtbr.com
    Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005

Anyway to run a 29inch wheel on a 26inch fork?

I was wondering this the other day. A couple years back I remembered seeing in a mountain bike mag a hub that could enable you to run a 29inch wheel in a fork designed for 26inch wheels. I have no idea who made it or if it was really just a mock up.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    manitou x-vert was the (only?) one of those. Tou would still need to change the stops I think.Cleared barely a nano.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I read your post and did a little experiment. I have a old, unused 26er with a Psylo fork.
    I held a 29er wheel with a 2.2 tire next to the fork and it looks like it would fit!
    I couldn't actually install the 29er quick release wheel on the 26er because it is a thru axle fork.

Recovering couch patato
    Most forks with a brace connecting the left and right lower, won't work.
    You're left with inverted forks. But they only work after a 30mm travel reduction.

Then there's Lenz's non-production (and probably mostly than any fork) eccentric front hub which converts any 26" discs fork to 29" by offsetting the front axle.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooly_CoolyOo
    I was wondering this the other day. A couple years back I remembered seeing in a mountain bike mag a hub that could enable you to run a 29inch wheel in a fork designed for 26inch wheels. I have no idea who made it or if it was really just a mock up.

29" wheels/tires fit fine in most 26" suspension-corrected rigid disc forks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You're thinking of the Lenz eccentric hub, but I dont' think it ever went into production. I ran a Specialized Fasttrak-shod 29er wheel in an '00 XVert Air w/ no probs before eventually buying a WB Magic 100 (thanks, BikerBob!). Still have the XVert if you want it for dirt cheap, but if you're looking to run a newer tire w/ any sort of volume, you're gonna need a proper 29er fork.
    - Joe

We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Birthday Collector
    Sure - take the tire off and any 29" wheel should fit in a 26 fork! :oP''''''''''

mtbr member
    The Marzocchi Z1, Z2, Z3, etc. with removable arches will work provided you can modify the arch or build your own like Walt did:

http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2007/0...-4-closer.html

It's ugly, but would work. Probably be stiffer than the Marzocchi 29er fork too!
    http://kitsapmtb.com/

bikerpilot
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    29" wheels/tires fit fine in most 26" suspension-corrected rigid disc forks.
    Isn't there a set of v-brakes that will allow a 29er rim to use the standard v-brake posts on 26" forks/frames? I think I've seen them, but can't recall the name now.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Most forks with a brace connecting the left and right lower, won't work.
    You're left with inverted forks. But they only work after a 30mm travel reduction.

Then there's Lenz's non-production (and probably mostly than any fork) eccentric front hub which converts any 26" discs fork to 29" by offsetting the front axle.
    (Doug Bradbury) I believe it was that cut the brace off his 20mm axle Mantou firefly to install the 29 wheel. His take was it was plenty stiff without the brace for his 5" and 5" trail bike.

Will seach for the article now.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Light, Strong and Long
    Jan 2005
    Ok it was that Lenz Sport hub that i saw. I think i saw it in MBA awhile back. I'm interested in this idea for a slightly longer travel 29er bike. The current crop of long travel (if you even want to call 5 inches long travel these days) 29er forks arn't really up to par for what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the only big suspension company currently churning out 29er forks is rockshox, and their longest travel rendition is only 80mm...

Thats just not enough bread and butter folks.

So if anyone important from any bigger (and more technologically inclined) suspension company's are listening, start getting behind this long travel 29er, concept.
    Everyones got a little weight weinee in them

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
    I read your post and did a little experiment. I have a old, unused 26er with a Psylo fork.
    I held a 29er wheel with a 2.2 tire next to the fork and it looks like it would fit!
    I couldn't actually install the 29er quick release wheel on the 26er because it is a thru axle fork.
    You can fit a 29'r wheel into a psylo, the only problem is it won't turn. At least not with any of the tires I have. Perhaps with a Stans Crow.

mtbr member
    29er wheel will fit on a suspension corrected 26er ridgid fork.
    You have to run disc brakes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...Unfortunately the only big suspension company currently churning out 29er forks is rockshox, and their longest travel rendition is only 80mm...

Thats just not enough bread and butter folks.

So if anyone important from any bigger (and more technologically inclined) suspension company's are listening, start getting behind this long travel 29er, concept.
    You have been mis-informed. The Reba 29 can be set to 100mm travel as well as 80mm. The Manitou with 120mm will be available soon.

Pace (now owned by DT Swiss) RC29S has 80 and 100mm versions.

White Bros (big in the 29er world) has had a 130 travel fork for a while.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Isn't there also rumor of an impending 130mm Reba as well?

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

115 mm Reba 29

You can even push the Reba 29 to 115 mm. It gets a little noodly though....

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You have been mis-informed. The Reba 29 can be set to 100mm travel as well as 80mm. The Manitou with 120mm will be available soon.

Pace (now owned by DT Swiss) RC29S has 80 and 100mm versions.

White Bros (big in the 29er world) has had a 130 travel fork for a while.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemud
    You can even push the Reba 29 to 115 mm. It gets a little noodly though....
    ...and Rockshox is explicitly telling us NOT do this, as it's not safe according to them.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

May 2004
    To all:

My Hanebrink G5 works!

mtbr member

7 Inch 29er Fork

Most Stratos forks have a movable brake arch. They made a single crown 5" fork and a few 6" & 7" dual crown forks that work great as a big 29er fork. They are heavy and hard to find but I think they are the only way to go. I have a lot of ride time on this fork on two frames.
    The SOCOM in the picture is now a full 29er (no longer a 69er). This is a 7" fork and weighs 8 lbs. Not to much in the shock adjustment department but I have a lot of room with the upper leg possition in the crown. I can run this bike with either 26" wheels or switch to the 29er wheels in about 10 minutes. I saw one on ebay two weeks ago (not even one bid)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0